I don't think I can do it

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But that's the thing. I've tried eggs in the morning, and it doesn't fill me up one bit. I need fiber. And when I have oatmeal, I typically add some nut butter or extra fiber to keep me full longer.

I eat whole wheat English muffins because, mixed with nut butter, most days it will keep me full too. The waffles, well I only had some for a couple days, and I had no problem with feeling hungry for 2 out of those 3 days. The protein bars I usually eat are Quests and they only have 5g of active carbs. I got the Clif to use before my HIITs and they've been working well, and actually keeping me pretty full (and again... no hunger issue so far on the two days I've eaten them).

So I hear you, I know carbs are 'the devil' and all that, but in my experience, whole grains don't have that effect on me. And typically I eat them with protein and fat too. If I just have cake or ice cream... sure. But it's not that often lately... I stick to carbs that have a good amount of fiber. And again, the hunger I experience doesn't seem to have any correlation with what I'm eating (except that carbs is what typically works best to fill me up on those days too). I've tried to see a pattern, but so far, I got nothing.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If you're telling us it's genuine hunger and not thirst or comfort eating then you need to decide whether you choose hunger or putting on weight I guess.
  • Francl27
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    If you're telling us it's genuine hunger and not thirst or comfort eating then you need to decide whether you choose hunger or putting on weight I guess.

That's what sucks! It just seems not many people are experiencing the same thing. And people are telling me to just eat at maintenance, but I can't even manage to do that. It seems to have got worse since I started doing more intense workouts too.

It's funny because I'm actually hungry right now but it doesn't bother me. So it's definitely not an every day thing, but one day of it seems to be enough to wipe out any tiny deficit I might have achieved.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's what sucks! It just seems not many people are experiencing the same thing. And people are telling me to just eat at maintenance, but I can't even manage to do that. It seems to have got worse since I started doing more intense workouts too.

It's funny because I'm actually hungry right now but it doesn't bother me. So it's definitely not an every day thing, but one day of it seems to be enough to wipe out any tiny deficit I might have achieved.

Are you sure you even know what your maintenance is? You say you are eating over maintenance...but are you really...or are you just eating over what some random calculator tells you is maintenance?

Guess what...if you're working out more and with more intensity...your TDEE (AKA maintenance) calories go up. When I'm training for endurance rides, my maintenance can be upwards of 3500 calories. When I'm just working out and maintaining my fitness like I am now, my maintenance is 2800 - 3000 calories.

Your maintenance is variable. This is why I think you should take a break...you're at a healthy weight...get comfortable for awhile...LEARN what maintenance actually is...then if you want to cut some more down the road your head will be in a better place and you'll have a much better understanding of what is actually going on.

• stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    any additional or new stresses in life? especially on days you feel you are going over?
    as for the exercise, are you eating the calories back? are the calories accurately tracked for the exercise?
    maybe set a new goal, lower but still healthy goal? sometimes its easier to let your mind relax as you close in on a goal? just throwing ideas out there
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Are you sure you even know what your maintenance is? You say you are eating over maintenance...but are you really...or are you just eating over what some random calculator tells you is maintenance?

Guess what...if you're working out more and with more intensity...your TDEE (AKA maintenance) calories go up. When I'm training for endurance rides, my maintenance can be upwards of 3500 calories. When I'm just working out and maintaining my fitness like I am now, my maintenance is 2800 - 3000 calories.

Your maintenance is variable. This is why I think you should take a break...you're at a healthy weight...get comfortable for awhile...LEARN what maintenance actually is...then if you want to cut some more down the road your head will be in a better place and you'll have a much better understanding of what is actually going on.

I've been reading for a little bit, and I think this might be it. Your maintenance/TDEE is likely higher than you think it is since you increased your exercise. Go recalculate it for your increased activity and see what you get.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well I'm assuming I am eating at maintenance, as I haven't lost anything in 3 months. I don't eat exercise calories back as I just eat at TDEE. I weigh everything I eat too so I don't think I'm overestimating (I could be for veggies as I use steam in the bag veggies and they give the frozen weight for a serving though, which obviously is impossible to figure out as it COOKS IN THE BAG. Idiots).

And no stress.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you gained back your 5ish lbs of water/glycogen weight since you upped your cals?
    If not you are in a SLOW deficit
  • Francl27
    Options
    No but I took my calories up very slowly, basically from 500 to 300 to 'eat at maintenance and try to keep a small deficit when I'm not too hungry' LOL.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are exercising a whole bunch, you might consider raising your calories for a bit; lower them on the rest days. It is easier to burn the fat off than starve it off.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If my carbs are over 40% I get really hungry. If myprotein and fat are higher, I am usually way under my calorie allotment.

For example, filling oatmeal for breakfast, I'm starving by 10. Eggs and a piece of fruit and I'm good until 1:00. I couldn't lose if my carbs were too high (40% isn't low carb, it's high protein). I can't maintain easily if they're too high.

But with 40% I've easily maintained 2 year. Try it. It's not that hard. You can do this.
  • Francl27
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    If my carbs are over 40% I get really hungry. If myprotein and fat are higher, I am usually way under my calorie allotment.

For example, filling oatmeal for breakfast, I'm starving by 10. Eggs and a piece of fruit and I'm good until 1:00. I couldn't lose if my carbs were too high (40% isn't low carb, it's high protein). I can't maintain easily if they're too high.

But with 40% I've easily maintained 2 year. Try it. It's not that hard. You can do this.

I'm close to 40% really, I think my goal is set at 45% but I'm pretty much always under, and over on protein.

And as I've said, I've tried eggs for breakfast, it doesn't work for me at all. Heck, a high fiber wrap with one egg and some ham and cheese won't really fill me up longer than 2-3 hours either.

I appreciate the advice though, I just feel more and more like a special snowflake :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless I have a massive fry up, no breakfast fills me up for more than 3 hours... It's not really a bad thing.

I agree with feeling dizzy isn't normal 'hunger' and I would go back to the docs.

Also, you say your workout is more intense now, how long have you been doing that routine?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My former husband was ravenous every 2-3 hours, while losing weight. It took two doctors to figure out that he was actually diabetic. Once his diabetes was under control those unusual feelings of hunger stopped. Also, you might check for hypoglycemia....either way; I would consult a doctor and not trust the " everything is normal " from the MD you saw.
  • jgled
    jgled Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you are being too hard on yourself. Celebrate where you are. You are successful. Your body seems to like where you are .Don't worry about those few pounds. When I get those hunger pangs I reach for a small handful f almonds or a small Apple cut up and eat it with a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter. Works for me. Don't dwell on the feeling eat something. Keep track of you intake and exercise.everyone burns at a different rate it eventually sheds.
  • Francl27
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    My former husband was ravenous every 2-3 hours, while losing weight. It took two doctors to figure out that he was actually diabetic. Once his diabetes was under control those unusual feelings of hunger stopped. Also, you might check for hypoglycemia....either way; I would consult a doctor and not trust the " everything is normal " from the MD you saw.

It's odd though, my blood sugar is perfect. And if it was the case, it wouldn't happen just once or twice a week, but every day, no?

My diet hasn't been that different today and I was fine all day (and I had a Clif bar this morning too before my workout), I was hungry before lunch but it didn't bother me, and I have over 800 calories left for dinner, it's almost 5pm and I'm not hungry at all (I'm probably going to be 400 under tonight at this rate). So it's really not an every day thing... really seems to depend on my hormones (I'm on day 3 of AF).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

It's odd though, my blood sugar is perfect. And if it was the case, it wouldn't happen just once or twice a week, but every day, no?

My diet hasn't been that different today and I was fine all day (and I had a Clif bar this morning too before my workout), I was hungry before lunch but it didn't bother me, and I have over 800 calories left for dinner, it's almost 5pm and I'm not hungry at all (I'm probably going to be 400 under tonight at this rate). So it's really not an every day thing... really seems to depend on my hormones (I'm on day 3 of AF).

So if you're 400 under, what's the problem with being 400 over tomorrow or in a couple of days?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well it's what I'm trying to do, to make up for the bad days, but overall I'm typically still over maintenance... it's just frustrating. Sometimes it seems the good days are much rarer than the bad days. If every day was like today, it would just be so easy, lol!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Take your weight loss journey one moment at a time, one day at a time. That's it.

About the last five pounds- that should be a .5 pound loss per week, and it's going to take much longer than when starting out.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Well it's what I'm trying to do, to make up for the bad days, but overall I'm typically still over maintenance... it's just frustrating. Sometimes it seems the good days are much rarer than the bad days. If every day was like today, it would just be so easy, lol!

Fire up the metabolism with weight lifting, exercise, chores. Keep that engine burning and don't eat back all of the exercise calories. You'll have no troubles in maintenance if you increase the burn.