Options
15678911»

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    Thank you. I was wondering why its so important to need a fridge to eat a varied pack lunch. I make mine the night before - salad leaves, drained tinned beans, seeds, tomatoes and cucumber etc, and leave it in the fridge over night. I also pack a small tin of tuna or small pack of hummus, and take them to work. I leave them in my bag from 8am - midday, when I eat lunch, and not once have I been poisoned by warm food. Ham (which is cured), cooked bacon, tinned tuna, boiled eggs, cooked chicken or turkey, and other proteins all do fine out of the fridge for 4 hours.

People are camping in the wild with only a cooler and they can use it for five days without any risk if they're careful when they take things out. With a proper ice pack, a paper towel to absorb moist drippings and an insulate bag, she should be able to keep her food COLD for at least 8 hours.

OP seems to have a lot of limiting food concerns (mercury in tuna, not eating too much animal products, phytic acid in legumes and grains, food safety), I'm not sure if the lack of fridge is a real issue or an irrational fear.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Right now I'm 5'4" and 123.5 pounds last time I checked. I have about 3.5 pounds left to lose.

A goal weight of 120....and you're 5'4"? Bordering on underweight. Why not go onto maintenance now?
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    SueGeer wrote: »
    Right now I'm 5'4" and 123.5 pounds last time I checked. I have about 3.5 pounds left to lose.

A goal weight of 120....and you're 5'4"? Bordering on underweight. Why not go onto maintenance now?

120lbs at 5'4 isn't bordering on underweight though. Underweight would be <108lbs i.e. almost a stone under that. 120lbs is a perfectly reasonable goal.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    Aren't unripe bananas poisonous? We were always told that as kids. Genuinly curious because I would prefer mine that way too.

I've always eaten bananas when they're still a little green and I'm still here---my family does too. I like the taste better. :)
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    As someone who is studying nutritional sciences I would never recommend a diet like this to anyone.
    Variety = healthy diet IMO
    Given there is so much we don't know about components in our foods and nutrient interactions in foods, I would recommend trying to eat as many *different* items as you can (esp fruits/veggies)...
    PRO/CHO/FATS and kcals are not everything and even if you are ok with 'boring' -- your body might be missing out on something that you aren't even aware of.

Take a look at the diets of oldest people in the world. It looks like variety is not healthy. Variety in diet is a relatively new phenomena.

I would argue that overall lifestyle and good genetics are at play in many of the regions that have the highest proportion of centenarians.

Secondly, variety is not a 'new phenomena', many of our ancestors ate greater variety than many of todays people. Our willingness to branch out and eat variety is the key to our success as a species.

Thirdly, when looking at general population (not people who are lucky enough to live healthy lives to 100+ years old), there is evidence to support that variety in the diet plays a role in longevity.

A prospective study of variety of healthy foods and mortality in women:

Results Women who followed a healthy diet defined as consumption of a high variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, cereals, fish, and low fat dairy products had a significantly lower mortality than women who consumed few of these foods (3710 deaths total). Women who reported regularly consuming 16–17 healthy foods had a 42% lower all-cause mortality (95% CI: 32–50%) compared to women reporting consumption of 0–8 healthy foods with any regularity (P for trend <0.0001). For each additional healthy food consumed the risk of death was about 5% lower (95% CI: 4–6%). Cardiovascular mortality was particularly low among women who reported consuming a high variety of healthy foods. A less healthy diet defined as consumption of a high variety of red meats, refined carbohydrates and sugars, and foods high in saturated or trans fats was not directly associated with a higher overall mortality. However, women who reported consuming many less healthy foods were significantly more likely to die from cancer than those who consumed few less healthy foods.

Conclusions A healthy diet can affect longevity. It appears more important to increase the number of healthy foods regularly consumed than to reduce the number of less healthy foods regularly consumed.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My only requirement is 145g of protein every day.

See if I was like everyone else on this forum I would be all like "145g of protein PER DAY?! That's DISGUSTING! How can you POSSIBLY eat that much??"

...but I'm not THAT sanctimonious.
    Actually a LOT of posters would make no comment about that amount of protein.

I've yet to read the last 4 pages but this thread is basically all WTF.

Along with the OP being all WTF.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sigh---I have been following this thread because I remember the OP from a previous post a month or so ago (it was her insistance on a lack of a refrigerator now, but in the future when moving to another building there will be one, that tipped me off). She did the exact same thing in the past thread, provoking and then argueing, and argueing. She says she wants constructive advice on nutrition, but she works in a lab, so I imagine that she is capable of finding and understanding very well information of this type on her own. I cry troll here--start the gifs all you meanies! >:)

Well I have hangry gifs.
    even-stevens.jpg

liz-lemon-food.jpg

cat-eats.jpg

diet-stage-6.gif

tumblr_mw07ciE4M11skh0gdo1_400.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sigh---I have been following this thread because I remember the OP from a previous post a month or so ago (it was her insistance on a lack of a refrigerator now, but in the future when moving to another building there will be one, that tipped me off). She did the exact same thing in the past thread, provoking and then argueing, and argueing. She says she wants constructive advice on nutrition, but she works in a lab, so I imagine that she is capable of finding and understanding very well information of this type on her own. I cry troll here--start the gifs all you meanies! >:)

I think I remember that one. They need to up their game.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    As someone who is studying nutritional sciences I would never recommend a diet like this to anyone.
    Variety = healthy diet IMO
    Given there is so much we don't know about components in our foods and nutrient interactions in foods, I would recommend trying to eat as many *different* items as you can (esp fruits/veggies)...
    PRO/CHO/FATS and kcals are not everything and even if you are ok with 'boring' -- your body might be missing out on something that you aren't even aware of.

Take a look at the diets of oldest people in the world. It looks like variety is not healthy. Variety in diet is a relatively new phenomena.

lol, no.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    If you post on the forums expect 75% criticism or personal relativity. If that's not what you want then post to your friends list, if they don't say what you want to hear then unfriend them.

I find searching the forums for something similar to see responses before putting myself out there to be most productive because most of the time people ask questions, get responses and then get defensive. By just reading someone else I don't take it personally, but still gain from what is written.

Plus asking about specific food choices in terms of "rate my diet plan!" I think you already think that what you are eating is healthy/know it and just wanted other people to agree with you on how well you are choosing foods. However, the vast variety of people on this site and different macros and diet patterns that people on this site follow prove to generate mostly criticism on the forums because we are all quite different.

Hmmm wish I had known that before I posted...I have never been on a forum before that had this kind of culture. Although looking back on it I have seen a lot of non-constructive criticisms on other peoples' diet plans, so maybe I should have known better.

Well I know my diet is on the road to being healthy but I wanted to know if maybe I was eating too many legumes or too much dairy or not enough dairy, for example, or if I might be missing out on some micronutrient. The "too many carbs" thing might have some merit to it and I am going to experiment with adding more protein next week for that reason.

I don't care if someone follows a different plan from me as long as they're healthy.

So, in other words, you don't get on forums much? Most forums have "these types" of replies. There's always going to be someone with a snarky remark about something or other.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lolz.