rate my diet plan!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    only on MFP would an OP complain about ratings for a diet on which they asked for a rating on …*mind blown*

and yes I gave your plan a negative 10 because it is that bad…which was mainly based on its restrictive nature and dry cheerios ...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm rating those guns at a 12 bro.

How you doin'?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    only on MFP would an OP complain about ratings for a diet on which they asked for a rating on …*mind blown*

and yes I gave your plan a negative 10 because it is that bad…which was mainly based on its restrictive nature and dry cheerios ...

Dry cheerios are awesome; they get soggy way too fast. The only cereal that should be eaten wet (and it's best with a mix of milk and half and half) is grapenuts.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Dry cheerios are awesome; they get soggy way too fast. The only cereal that should be eaten wet (and it's best with a mix of milk and half and half) is grapenuts.

Then how do I get my milk chocolatey after eating my Cocoa Pebbles??
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Godiva liquer, obvs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm rating those guns at a 12 bro.

How you doin'?

just ate dry cheerios and doing awesome!
  • auddii
    Options

Strain the soggy cocoa pebbles out and go straight for the milk? :laugh:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options

Can I strain them out with my spoon, and then deposit them in my mouth where they belong? Because that sounds suspiciously like eating them.
  • auddii
    Options

Can I strain them out with my spoon, and then deposit them in my mouth where they belong? Because that sounds suspiciously like eating them.

As long as it is not my mouth, that is acceptable.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

As long as it is not my mouth, that is acceptable.

Good, because it would be difficult for me to taste the chocolately goodness if it were in your mouth.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It's hard to tell whether or not it's "healthy" because you didn't provide macros or any real nutritional information. It sounds low in protein and fat, and high in carbs to me. Does it help you meet your goals? Then fine, it's healthy enough.

You won't find a ton of support on here for very strict or rigid diet plans. That's not how the majority of people on MFP choose to eat. If they work for you, that's great, but you have to know that this kind of post wouldn't be well received.

Well I lost 7 pounds in less than 2 months, and I feel pretty good about eating these foods for the foreseeable future. It is a little high in carbs but you really only need 50g of protein per day and I'm getting about 70-80g, so I think it's fine. It's actually fairly high in fat though because of the nuts and oils...I am often over my fat for the day.

Honestly my main concerns with this diet plan are a) the phytic acid intake from so many nuts/legumes/grains, and b) that once I reach my goal weight and readjust for maintenance I won't be eating enough calories (I think MFP's estimate of my TDEE is low given the amount of weight I've lost, but I don't know exactly how much it's off by) and that I will keep losing weight.

I don't think of this diet plan as strict. I have one junk food item every day. That seems fine to me. Some people might get bored eating the same thing every day but it doesn't bother me, especially because I have more variety on the weekends.

I guess I am not too familiar with the "culture" here...there definitely seems to be a real anti-vegetarian sentiment and "eat meat with every meal!" Maybe I should find another forum that has more vegetarians on it. I'm not 100% vegetarian but I definitely seem to eat a lot less meat than most people.

I only questioned your menu because I didn't know if you were someone that ate like this regularly or were just following some drastic meal plan you came across or made up. Your menu appears strict when viewing it without all of the info you later provided in the thread.

I tend to favor the same meals daily myself and I am vegetarian.

I say- if this plan is working for you then go for it. I don't care for cold cereals or veggies dipped in mustard so I'm afraid I wouldn't rate it on the high side.

I understand you don't have access to a fridge at work... In the years that I have been toting lunches I have never experienced anything going bad after sitting out for a couple of hours. I have brought soups, chills, yogurt, fruit, sandwiches,fresh juices, smoothies, rice with veggies, pasta dishes, hummus and veggies etc. However, I also use an insulated lunch bag.

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options

breakfast = one serving of lentils with half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
    a plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt with a bit of cinnamon and an unripe banana cut up on top (I only like unripe bananas),
    two cups of leafy greens, and water to drink.

Morning snack = one cup of Cheerios, with water as needed.

Lunch = two slices of toasted whole-grain bread
    half a serving of raw almonds
    one mozzarella cheese stick
    some "junk food" item worth ~80-120 calories
    and water to drink flavored with True Lemon or True Lime.

Afternoon snack = half a serving of wasabi peas, with water as needed.

Dinner = a protein (lean chicken/turkey, eggs, tofu, beans, or steak)
    a starch (usually pasta, but sometimes brown rice or pearl barley),
    a leafy greens/tomato salad or other vegetable.

Dessert = tea, herbal tea, unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened hot cocoa made with baking cocoa.

I plan to continue this diet plan after I lose the last couple of pounds and go into maintenance, except increasing some of the portion sizes slightly to equal the correct number of calories.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Overall to me your food looks fine. Rating it (as you asked) I'd probably give it 5/10.
    The reasons being it does seem a little bland for my taste and a little dry. Maybe add some variety. Eventually the same thing during week days will get old and the cravings will kick in. Add a little more colour (peppers, avocado, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, onion etc). As others have said if you eat the same thing you will end up lacking in something somewhere along the line.

As for the whole 'no fridge' thing. I've managed to pack many picnics in insulated boxes, travelled to the zoo (3hrs), dandered about and let my kids and hubby eat the food without fear of death 4 or so hours after preparing it. You don't need a fridge just a good insulated bag and a few icepacks.

Also make a few friends on here and have a look at what they are eating for ideas. Never hurts. Good luck...and please take this as it was intended, to help xx
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Ohh I meant to say, lunch looks very small and unbalanced to me. I'd add some salad, chicken/beef/ham or such to your bread.
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    10/10 thread is toplel
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Luckily I am close to my goal weight, but what if you made comments about someone's diet being "disgusting" when they were just starting out? You could really discourage someone.

And anyone with half a brain in their heads should have realized that I wasn't looking for personal opinions, but for informed opinions from a nutrition standpoint. Can someone tell me why they think I or anyone else would care about whether random people think the foods they eat TASTE good?

So you:
    • Started a thread that reads 'Rate My Diet"
    • Didn't provide anyone with your stats
    • Didn't mention the specific amounts and nutrition information of each food item
    • Never said you wanted informed opinions, rather than personal opinions
    • Never mentioned what your diet goals are, short-term or long-term
    • And got angry when people rated food items based on what they were provided with, given how you phrased your initial post?

... Yeah. Half a brain may be closer to home thank you think.

If you're not clear from the start, as to what you hope to accomplish from starting such a thread on a public forum, then you cannot fault people for providing personal opinions.
    Let me ask you a question if I was 300 pounds and posted a "sample diet plan" would people be "messing with me" by calling it "deeply unappetizing"? I sure hope not because that might just discourage someone enough to make them give up on dieting.

Are you 300 pounds? Why can't I tell? Hmm. Oh, that's right! It's because you so very conveniently left out crucial things like your stats, and only gave us food items to rate.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sigh---I have been following this thread because I remember the OP from a previous post a month or so ago (it was her insistance on a lack of a refrigerator now, but in the future when moving to another building there will be one, that tipped me off). She did the exact same thing in the past thread, provoking and then argueing, and argueing. She says she wants constructive advice on nutrition, but she works in a lab, so I imagine that she is capable of finding and understanding very well information of this type on her own. I cry troll here--start the gifs all you meanies! >:)
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Where do you live/ work OP that a refrigerator is such an issue? Thousands of people eat ham sandwiches every day that they have wrapped in cling film and kept in their bags and they don't die. Use an insulated cool bag, use an ice pack, your ham will be fine by lunchtime.
    Thank you. I was wondering why its so important to need a fridge to eat a varied pack lunch. I make mine the night before - salad leaves, drained tinned beans, seeds, tomatoes and cucumber etc, and leave it in the fridge over night. I also pack a small tin of tuna or small pack of hummus, and take them to work. I leave them in my bag from 8am - midday, when I eat lunch, and not once have I been poisoned by warm food. Ham (which is cured), cooked bacon, tinned tuna, boiled eggs, cooked chicken or turkey, and other proteins all do fine out of the fridge for 4 hours.

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    As someone who is studying nutritional sciences I would never recommend a diet like this to anyone.
    Variety = healthy diet IMO
    Given there is so much we don't know about components in our foods and nutrient interactions in foods, I would recommend trying to eat as many *different* items as you can (esp fruits/veggies)...
    PRO/CHO/FATS and kcals are not everything and even if you are ok with 'boring' -- your body might be missing out on something that you aren't even aware of.

Take a look at the diets of oldest people in the world. It looks like variety is not healthy. Variety in diet is a relatively new phenomena.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Aren't unripe bananas poisonous? We were always told that as kids. Genuinly curious because I would prefer mine that way too.