rate my diet plan!

Options

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    Nicola0000 wrote: »
    Oh you've just opened a can of worms there!!!!!

Does this mean the high-fat-high-protein minions are going to come on the warpath? I don't mind that I'm over my fat intake, since they're mostly "good fats." I don't mind high fat high protein either, it's just not my thing to eat meat with every meal. This is for multiple reasons. I only buy ethically raised meat for personal reasons, and it does get quite expensive. I can get an entire bag of lentils that makes enough for nine meals for about $1.30. Meat is also annoying to prepare because it raises issues of salmonella and stuff, which isn't as much of a risk for plant-based foods.
    Think you need to research TDEE more, as doesn't matter how much weight you've lost. It's what you weigh now that counts

What I'm saying is that I'm losing weight at a faster rate than expected, which means that I'm probably expending more calories per day than what MFP says I am, creating a larger calorie deficit. So when I go into maintenance I have to adjust for that...MFP says I should have 1800 cals per day when I go into maintenance at 120 pounds, but I might need to eat more than that to stay the same weight.

It's the "only need 50g protein" that people will start on about.

You still haven't said what % you eat of each macro....

MFP is only a guide. My maintenance is 1700 at 132lb. Everyone is different, you'll just have to adjust and see what it's doing.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?

No plans, the only plan is I eat whatever I want, whenever I want as long as it is mostly veggies, fruits, a little bit of fish, meats, eggs and cheese, and a sweet treat every now and then. This week, I'm craving Polynesian food! Yesterday, I made salmon taro spinach bake in coconut milk. Omg delicious! Snacks this week are bananas, persimmons, clementines, and pomegranate seeds. Menu changes every week. I think you just need more variety.

But how many hours a week do you spend preparing food and planning meals and grocery shopping?

For me the benefit of eating the same thing every day is I don't have to think about it or spend a lot of time on it. When I drag myself out of bed in the morning and rush around getting ready for work, I don't have decide what I want to eat, or cook some fancy sausage and egg thing and then wash a greasy frying pan. My lentils and yogurt are already in the fridge and just need a couple of minutes preparation to be ready to eat. Same for preparing lunch...my lunch and morning/afternoon snacks take only a couple of minutes to put together since it's basically just putting stuff in containers. When I go to the grocery store I basically already know what to buy and it takes less than 5 minutes to compile my shopping list.

0 planning. I don't think allot about it either. :) My cravings for the week are on a whim and I decide at the grocery store Saturday or Sunday. I only take a few hours Saturday or Sunday to go grocery shopping and to cook/prep for the entire week. Cooking isn't hard or fancy either and neither is a fried egg and sausage that takes like maybe 5 minutes to fry in a pan and 30 seconds to wash the pan. :# That and variety is great! The more different foods you eat, the less risk you have of developing certain nutritional deficiencies in the long run. I mean, you asked for opinions on your diet plan and this is what it is. I just think you need more nutrient dense foods and lots more variety.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?

No plans, the only plan is I eat whatever I want, whenever I want as long as it is mostly veggies, fruits, a little bit of fish, meats, eggs and cheese, and a sweet treat every now and then. This week, I'm craving Polynesian food! Yesterday, I made salmon taro spinach bake in coconut milk. Omg delicious! Snacks this week are bananas, persimmons, clementines, and pomegranate seeds. Menu changes every week. I think you just need more variety.

But how many hours a week do you spend preparing food and planning meals and grocery shopping?

For me the benefit of eating the same thing every day is I don't have to think about it or spend a lot of time on it. When I drag myself out of bed in the morning and rush around getting ready for work, I don't have decide what I want to eat, or cook some fancy sausage and egg thing and then wash a greasy frying pan. My lentils and yogurt are already in the fridge and just need a couple of minutes preparation to be ready to eat. Same for preparing lunch...my lunch and morning/afternoon snacks take only a couple of minutes to put together since it's basically just putting stuff in containers. When I go to the grocery store I basically already know what to buy and it takes less than 5 minutes to compile my shopping list.

OP, if this works for you, do it! I don't know why some people have to argue how variety is important when clearly you said that during the week you are fine eating this way. I'm somewhat similar: I shop and cook on the weekends and make my food for the next week or 2 so that it's all just ready to go each day and I don't have to think about it. Honestly, you are doing the right thing by planning and preparing and sticking with it rather than giving yourself the opportunity to make bad, spur-of-the-moment choices during the day.

Don't get too hung up on the opinions of others if you've been successful. Small tweaks along the way, such as switching out your morning fruit occasionally or reducing carbs, etc. are generally helpful but it's all trial and error. Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Needs Improvement
    C-

Wasn't sure what rating scale I was supposed to use.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What I'm saying is that I'm losing weight at a faster rate than expected, which means that I'm probably expending more calories per day than what MFP says I am, creating a larger calorie deficit. So when I go into maintenance I have to adjust for that...MFP says I should have 1800 cals per day when I go into maintenance at 120 pounds, but I might need to eat more than that to stay the same weight.

The calculators here can be low, and even other sites, they're all just estimates. Once you start maintaining, you'll have to experiment to find what calorie goal you actually maintain at.
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    0 planning. I don't think allot about it either. :) My cravings for the week are on a whim and I decide at the grocery store Saturday or Sunday. I only take a few hours Saturday or Sunday to go grocery shopping and to cook/prep for the entire week. Cooking isn't hard or fancy either and neither is a fried egg and sausage that takes like maybe 5 minutes to fry in a pan and 30 seconds to wash the pan. :# That and variety is great! The more different foods you eat, the less risk you have of developing certain nutritional deficiencies in the long run. I mean, you asked for opinions on your diet plan and this is what it is. I just think you need more nutrient dense foods and lots more variety.

Well I do eat 5+ servings of vegetables per day, and almonds/lentils/whole grains are all nutrient dense foods, so I can't imagine what else I should add to that. Maybe fish which I do have occasionally. I eat more fruit in the summer when berries are available but right now it's just apples, oranges, and bananas, and I really don't like apples or oranges. So bananas it is...potassium and all that.
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Needs Improvement
    C-

Care to share what you think is wrong with it exactly (from a nutritional standpoint)? Just saying it sucks isn't particularly helpful.
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    OP, if this works for you, do it! I don't know why some people have to argue how variety is important when clearly you said that during the week you are fine eating this way. I'm somewhat similar: I shop and cook on the weekends and make my food for the next week or 2 so that it's all just ready to go each day and I don't have to think about it. Honestly, you are doing the right thing by planning and preparing and sticking with it rather than giving yourself the opportunity to make bad, spur-of-the-moment choices during the day.

Don't get too hung up on the opinions of others if you've been successful. Small tweaks along the way, such as switching out your morning fruit occasionally or reducing carbs, etc. are generally helpful but it's all trial and error. Good luck!

I mean long-term nutritional deficiencies might be a concern, but I don't think the actual foods I'm eating are bad. Yet everyone is acting like they are. Not sure why...what do you all eat that's so much healthier?

For me I like to plan and have everything easy to put together because otherwise I know I won't put in the effort. This isn't just about time but also about money...if I don't feel like making breakfast and get breakfast on the way to work, that's extra money I'm spending. Even if it is a ham, egg and cheese sandwich which is supposedly healthier and more "nutrient-rich" than lentils, Greek yogurt, and leafy greens...according to some people....
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Needs Improvement
    C-

Care to share what you think is wrong with it exactly (from a nutritional standpoint)? Just saying it sucks isn't particularly helpful.

You asked people to rate it. People did, and gave you comments that it seemed restrictive and monotonous to eat the same things every day. You then got really defensive. I was just pointing out that you asked a bunch of strangers to rate something on an arbitrary scale and then when they did comment, you disagreed with them and asked them what they ate that made their diet better than yours.

Nutritionally speaking I think you have your bases fairly well covered. What makes people successful in the long term is making choices that they can live with forever - lifestyle change and all that. If you can be happy eating like that day in and day out, then that's fine. If it is helping you achieve your goals - more power to you.

I don't think anyone here was critical of the healthfulness of the individual components of your "diet plan". What people questioned was whether or not that was sustainable in the long term.

Food should not only be chosen because of health benefits, micro and macro nutrients, etc but because it tastes good and it makes you happy. Does your diet plan do all of that? Then keep going...

• coruscatti
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You asked people to rate it. People did, and gave you comments that it seemed restrictive and monotonous to eat the same things every day. You then got really defensive. I was just pointing out that you asked a bunch of strangers to rate something on an arbitrary scale and then when they did comment, you disagreed with them and asked them what they ate that made their diet better than yours.

Nutritionally speaking I think you have your bases fairly well covered. What makes people successful in the long term is making choices that they can live with forever - lifestyle change and all that. If you can be happy eating like that day in and day out, then that's fine. If it is helping you achieve your goals - more power to you.

I don't think anyone here was critical of the healthfulness of the individual components of your "diet plan". What people questioned was whether or not that was sustainable in the long term.

Food should not only be chosen because of health benefits, micro and macro nutrients, etc but because it tastes good and it makes you happy. Does your diet plan do all of that? Then keep going...

Ok well I was looking for answers focused more on health and whether it is a balanced diet or not. Whether I am eating too much of any food group (people did make good comments about the carbs) and whether there might be any nutritional deficiencies. I assumed there were some people on here who know more than me about nutrition. Maybe that was the wrong assumption to make.

For example if someone told me that they had peanut butter on toast every morning, and I personally didn't like peanut butter, it would not be constructive for me to say "ewww, how can you eat that?" I feel like the "your diet is monotonous and random" and "it's weird to eat lentils for breakfast" and "your diet is a negative 10 out of 10" type of comments were basically at that level of being constructive. It really kind of discourages you from even bothering.

And I really do want to know what other people are eating that is so much better than what I'm eating. The one person who posted a detailed diet plan seemed to have a diet kind of similar to mine, except with oatmeal instead of lentils for example, and peanut butter instead of almonds.

If I ever get tired of my diet I will make substitutions. In fact I have been adding stuff, taking stuff out, and changing stuff around for months...even before I started to lose weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what is the macro/micro break down of your diet?
  • WinoGelato
    Options

For example if someone told me that they had peanut butter on toast every morning, and I personally didn't like peanut butter, it would not be constructive for me to say "ewww, how can you eat that?" I feel like the "your diet is monotonous and random" and "it's weird to eat lentils for breakfast" and "your diet is a negative 10 out of 10" type of comments were basically at that level of being constructive. It really kind of discourages you from even bothering.

And I really do want to know what other people are eating that is so much better than what I'm eating. The one person who posted a detailed diet plan seemed to have a diet kind of similar to mine, except with oatmeal instead of lentils for example, and peanut butter instead of almonds.

If that person said, "I have peanut butter on toast every morning, what do you think?" then it would be reasonable for you to say, "I don't care for peanut butter" or even "eww gross". People do it all the time. You asked a vague question, "rate my diet plan" and didn't give people quantitative parameters by which to do so. Again, the word "diet plan" to me means you want comments about the combination of the entire day or week, not the individual nutritional value of the components.

My diary is open. I'm sure you will find it to be far less healthy than yours based on what you've said so far. I eat a variety of food, I enjoy cooking and eating out, I don't demonize any food group. I could eat more fruits and vegetables. I like ice cream and wine. That's how I went about achieving my goals. I've lost about 30 lbs and am maintaining now. I'm sure people would have lots of comments for me if I were to ask them to rate my "diet plan" but I never asked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You asked for opinions and then argue with them. I don't get it.

I'm just confused. I didn't expect such an overwhelmingly negative response. I also didn't expect people to be shaming me based on how "boring" my meals are. I was hoping to get a response along the lines of is this diet HEALTHY or not, not whether you personally would eat it.

You asked people to "rate my diet plan." Most people enjoy variety...so why would it be such a shocker that people would "rate" your plan a little boring.

I eat very healthfully...I also eat quite a variety and I'm big on flavor. Eating healthfully doesn't have to be boring...but if that's the way you like it, then cool...just don't get all bent when you ask a bunch of randos on the internet to "rate your diet plan."

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You asked for opinions and then argue with them. I don't get it.

I'm just confused. I didn't expect such an overwhelmingly negative response. I also didn't expect people to be shaming me based on how "boring" my meals are. I was hoping to get a response along the lines of is this diet HEALTHY or not, not whether you personally would eat it.

You asked people to "rate my diet plan." Most people enjoy variety...so why would it be such a shocker that people would "rate" your plan a little boring.

I eat very healthfully...I also eat quite a variety and I'm big on flavor. Eating healthfully doesn't have to be boring...but if that's the way you like it, then cool...just don't get all bent when you ask a bunch of randos on the internet to "rate your diet plan."

^^ I don't know what you expected, with what you asked people to do. If you want specific answers, ask specific questions. Asking a bunch of randoms on the internet to 'rate my diet plan' well... the old addage is "Ask a silly question, get a silly answer".
  • coruscatti
    Options

If that person said, "I have peanut butter on toast every morning, what do you think?" then it would be reasonable for you to say, "I don't care for peanut butter" or even "eww gross". People do it all the time. You asked a vague question, "rate my diet plan" and didn't give people quantitative parameters by which to do so. Again, the word "diet plan" to me means you want comments about the combination of the entire day or week, not the individual nutritional value of the components.

I thought it was self explanatory that I was asking about health. Why would I care if a bunch of random people like or dislike the foods I'm eating?

Soooo you're basically saying that if I ask any questions on this forum, I should expect people to give snide and irrelevant responses. Okay then. Good to know.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Okay, so what is the macro/micro break down of your diet?

Ok so I added up a sample day:

Cals: 1608
    Carbs: 205g (51%)
    Fat: 56g (31%)
    Protein: 99g (25%)

(Yes these don't add up to 100% but that's because stupid MFP rounds to the nearest gram...still you get the idea)

Sugar: 33g (mostly natural sugar)
    Saturated Fat: 19g (supposed to be 17g)
    Cholesterol: 90mg (supposed to be 300mg)
    Sodium: 1100mg (About half of what it's supposed to be...but it's very easy to add salt in. For example substituting salted almonds or adding seasonings to things.)
    Iron: 136% DV
    Calcium: 96% DV
    Vitamin A: 439% DV (But it would only be 150% DV if I didn't put kale in...I don't eat kale every day so shouldn't cause an issue.)
    Vitamin C: 317% DV (Again, the kale gave 170% DV of this...didn't realize it had so many nutrients! It's near-impossible to overdose on Vitamin C though.)
  • coruscatti
    Options
    However I do think next week I will try replacing the lentils in the morning with boneless skinless chicken breast. So far I haven't been able to eat anything for breakfast that has lasted me more than 3 hours without getting hungry, but since everyone is saying lean protein is the way to go, it's at least worth a try. I can make all the chicken breasts at once on Sunday and then freeze them and thaw them individually in the refrigerator the night before. It will be way more expensive but whatever.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    However I do think next week I will try replacing the lentils in the morning with boneless skinless chicken breast. So far I haven't been able to eat anything for breakfast that has lasted me more than 3 hours without getting hungry, but since everyone is saying lean protein is the way to go, it's at least worth a try. I can make all the chicken breasts at once on Sunday and then freeze them and thaw them individually in the refrigerator the night before. It will be way more expensive but whatever.

what happened to 'you only need 50g of protein' and you knowing better than anyone on MFP who advocates eating a decent amount of protein??
  • coruscatti
    edited November 2014
    Options
    what happened to 'you only need 50g of protein' and you knowing better than anyone on MFP who advocates eating a decent amount of protein??

Well you only NEED 50g of protein. The rest is all personal preference. Currently I eat more than 50g, between 70-100g usually.

Besides my daily protein would still be basically the same, I would just be moving the most protein-rich foods from dinnertime to breakfast time. Because the morning is when I tend to get the most hungry. So you can stop being so judgmental :)
  • KittenIsAmused
    Options
    It sounds like it's mostly carbs & sugar, and if you eat alot of carbs you need to burn them off. If you can stick with mainly fruit, veggies with a small portions of meat with more water and no choacolate.....honsetly.....0.
  • coruscatti
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It sounds like it's mostly carbs & sugar, and if you eat alot of carbs you need to burn them off. If you can stick with mainly fruit, veggies with a small portions of meat with more water and no choacolate.....honsetly.....0.

Whose diet plan are you reading...I eat WAY less sugar than the average person. On a typical day usually around 30g per day and that's ALL sugars, natural and added, fructose, lactose, sucrose, everything. The average person eats maybe 60-70g of sugars.

What's hilarious is that I had all these people up my a** in another thread I made saying 30g of sugar per day is "way too restrictive" and that "SUGAR IS NOT BAD FOR YOU" (in all capital letters) and "I eat 100g of sugar per day and still lose weight!" One of them even private messaged me calling me "stupid" for trying to restrict my sugar intake. What an amazing place MFP is...no matter what I say on this forum there's always going to be someone trying to criticize and patronize me! (This is not directed at you specifically btw, just...a lot of the other comments on this thread.)

I doubt one 80-120 cal junk food item per day is going to mess up anything. It's better to have a little bit of chocolate per day, rather than spend the whole day thinking about "OMG I want chocolate!" You have to live too.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your entire meal plan sounds gross, with the exception of dinner. If I had to eat that every day I would definitely lose weight. It is ok to mix it up you know. And cheerios with water? Why bother. LOL