rate my diet plan!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »
    Sorry, but your entire meal plan sounds gross, with the exception of dinner. If I had to eat that every day I would definitely lose weight. It is ok to mix it up you know. And cheerios with water? Why bother. LOL

they are dry cherios ..the water is for rehydration ...
  • coruscatti
    Options
    Sorry, but your entire meal plan sounds gross, with the exception of dinner. If I had to eat that every day I would definitely lose weight. It is ok to mix it up you know. And cheerios with water? Why bother. LOL

Ok thanks for your entirely irrelevant opinion.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    What an amazing place MFP is...no matter what I say on this forum there's always going to be someone trying to criticize and patronize me!

Such is life... Whether on mfp or offline. You put yourself out there and not everyone is going to agree with you and not everyone is gonna be nice about it either. I think it's time to move on. If you feel like you're plan is working, why not just keep doing it and ignore people's disagreements and advice?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Ok thanks for your entirely irrelevant opinion.

How is her opinion irrelevant? It's basically her rating of your diet: "this is gross, it lacks variety, breakfast sounds lame."
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?

No plans, the only plan is I eat whatever I want, whenever I want as long as it is mostly veggies, fruits, a little bit of fish, meats, eggs and cheese, and a sweet treat every now and then. This week, I'm craving Polynesian food! Yesterday, I made salmon taro spinach bake in coconut milk. Omg delicious! Snacks this week are bananas, persimmons, clementines, and pomegranate seeds. Menu changes every week. I think you just need more variety.

But how many hours a week do you spend preparing food and planning meals and grocery shopping?

For me the benefit of eating the same thing every day is I don't have to think about it or spend a lot of time on it. When I drag myself out of bed in the morning and rush around getting ready for work, I don't have decide what I want to eat, or cook some fancy sausage and egg thing and then wash a greasy frying pan. My lentils and yogurt are already in the fridge and just need a couple of minutes preparation to be ready to eat. Same for preparing lunch...my lunch and morning/afternoon snacks take only a couple of minutes to put together since it's basically just putting stuff in containers. When I go to the grocery store I basically already know what to buy and it takes less than 5 minutes to compile my shopping list.

This thread.. it's so... lol.

I also basically eat what I want, except I don't limit myself to eating specific types of food as the other person you quoted does. My only requirement is 145g of protein every day. I eat pretty much anything in the day.

Takes me about 5 minutes to compile a shopping list as well. I write down fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, grains, junk, etc that I know we are low in or that I want. Takes me about 5 minutes to plan out my entire log as well by simply choosing foods we have on hand and based on what I'm craving. I make protein pancakes a lot because they are easy and yum, but I ran out of oatmeal so I thought"I'll make some protein cookies with quinoa flakes instead" and they came out cakey but good (I assume due to the lack of fat and added sugar?). That took an entire 1 minute to change in my recipe builder.

I agree with others, the diet is restrictive in the sense that it's the same thing day in, day out. I can do that for breakfast, but even then I still need variety during the week and instead cycle through things. Food isn't just about "being healthy," it's about enjoying yourself.

And as far as your earlier comment about whether it's balanced, IMO... no, it's not. I mostly say this because your diet lacks variety. i have about 6-7 pages of saved "my foods" (created to correct the caloric information based on macros and to allow for custom serving sizes/weights) and 3 pages of recipes. Some of it is seasonable, a lot of it isn't. A lot of it is fresh, and a lot of it is processed junk food. It's all variety, eating everything in moderation, etc. Lean protein is fine, so is beef and pork and salmon/fish and other fatty foods. Lentils are fine, but so are chickpeas or navy beans or kidney beans. Bananas are cool but so are apples, grapes, pomegranates, berries, melons, etc. So to ME, balance means more than just "am I meeting my micronutrient needs?" and more about the entire diet as a whole, how sustainable it is, how much enjoyment it brings.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My latest revision to my diet plan goes as follows ...

Anyway, let me know what you think!

I looked at th diary and yes, it's pretty much what have been eating. You have been hitting the macros. And people around the world eat the same thing day after day. I am in favor of any practice that is not harmful and perhaps kick-starts them along the path to their goals.

But ... you generally take in 1500 cal and exercise off 1000 calories. That is a 500 cal allowance for living.

--- edit --- Estimate a 23 yo female 5' 4" 126 lb (that is a good BMI) The flat-on-your-back Basil Metabolic Rate ( BMR) is 1300. The Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is a better measure. For the same person with a sedentary job, the TDEE is 1667.

The math does not add up for maintenance. How do you figure it?

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Only read first page.

Calculate the macros. Are they suitable for you? If so, good. if not, modify portions.

Do you enjoy routine? If so, good.

As you get your variety on the weekends (and with dinner options daily) I don't see an issue with it. Looks like a decent variety to get adequate micronutrients provided you rotate fruit and veges.

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think this is a well thought out plan with clean food, but like others said it's a bit restrictive. Calorie-wise. I think it would be hard to keep it going, especially if you plan on eating this 5 days a week.
    What if you added some variations, such as for lentils, another day use red lentils with different seasoning, and things like that. Also allow an additional 3-400 calories as needed. It's restrictive, but if you allow yourself an additional snack or two if you need it, you can probably do it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My latest revision to my diet plan goes as follows (it's pretty similar to what I've been eating the past few weeks but with a couple of changes).

This is only my diet plan for during weekdays when I have to go to work. I like to have a set diet plan for work days so I don't have to think about it. On the weekends I try to stay under my calories but I'm not as rigorous about it (for example I might go out to dinner or have a couple of drinks) and don't have a set diet plan.

For breakfast I will have one serving of lentils with half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, a plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt with a bit of cinnamon and an unripe banana cut up on top (I only like unripe bananas), two cups of leafy greens, and water to drink.

Morning snack will be one cup of Cheerios, with water as needed.

Lunch will be two slices of toasted whole-grain bread, half a serving of raw almonds, one mozzarella cheese stick, some "junk food" item worth ~80-120 calories, and water to drink flavored with True Lemon or True Lime. I may also bring some vegetables to snack on with mustard as "dip," especially when my office moves to a new building that actually has a break room with refrigerator.

Afternoon snack will be half a serving of wasabi peas, with water as needed.

Dinner will vary but will generally consist of a protein (lean chicken/turkey, eggs, tofu, beans, or steak), a starch (usually pasta, but sometimes brown rice or pearl barley), and a leafy greens/tomato salad or other vegetable.

Dessert will be tea, herbal tea, unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened hot cocoa made with baking cocoa.

I plan to continue this diet plan after I lose the last couple of pounds and go into maintenance, except increasing some of the portion sizes slightly to equal the correct number of calories.

So, for breakfast, you're including two cups of leafy greens? With nothing on them? Just...greens?

And for lunch, two pieces of bread? Just...plain? Not a sandwich, or toast with some spread like almond butter rather than the (raw??) almonds. (Do you mean blanched? Raw almonds are poisonous, aren't they?) And tea for dessert? TEA? With nothing in it? How would this be dessert?

Sorry for all the questions, but I find this plan very confusing, and if I'm reading it correctly, extremely unappetizing.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey, if your food regimen is working and you are feeling good, great! But, you'll likely need to mix it up to keep from getting totally bored.

For contrast, how about the following totally unbalanced and horrifying diet? :sunglasses: Caveat: Add more food to compensate for exercise. :lol: And, no, I'm not suggesting that anyone eat this every day...

Small non-fat latte (1/3 cup skim milk)
    Bagel thin & tsp. whipped cream cheese
    2 strips center cut bacon
    == 220 cals.

Chicken salad (3 oz. chicken, 1.5 tsp. olive oil mayo)
    Olives to go (green), Oyster crackers (20'ish)
    Oskri fig bar
    == 300 cals.

TJ's Brown Rice Pasta (3 oz.) w/ Marinara sauce (.5 cup) & Grated parm. cheese (2 tsp.)
    Broccoli florets (1.5 cups)
    == 440 cals.

Popcorn (1/4 cup unpopped)
    String cheese (1 stick)
    Beer (6 oz.)
    == 290 cals.

Total = 1,250 cals.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As someone who is studying nutritional sciences I would never recommend a diet like this to anyone.
    Variety = healthy diet IMO
    Given there is so much we don't know about components in our foods and nutrient interactions in foods, I would recommend trying to eat as many *different* items as you can (esp fruits/veggies)...
    PRO/CHO/FATS and kcals are not everything and even if you are ok with 'boring' -- your body might be missing out on something that you aren't even aware of.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Storble wrote: »
    As someone who is studying nutritional sciences I would never recommend a diet like this to anyone.
    Given there is so much we don't know about components in our foods and nutrient interactions in foods, I would recommend trying to eat as many *different* items as you can (esp fruits/veggies)...
    PRO/CHO/FATS and kcals are not everything and even if you are ok with 'boring' -- your body might be missing out on something that you aren't even aware of.

Variety seeking FTW! :+1:
  • coruscatti
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    My latest revision to my diet plan goes as follows ...

I looked at th diary and yes, it's pretty much what have been eating. You have been hitting the macros. And people around the world eat the same thing day after day. I am in favor of any practice that is not harmful and perhaps kick-starts them along the path to their goals.

But ... you generally take in 1500 cal and exercise off 1000 calories. That is a 500 cal allowance for living.

--- edit --- Estimate a 23 yo female 5' 4" 126 lb (that is a good BMI) The flat-on-your-back Basil Metabolic Rate ( BMR) is 1300. The Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is a better measure. For the same person with a sedentary job, the TDEE is 1667.

The math does not add up for maintenance. How do you figure it?

Wait what are you talking about? Since when do I exercise off 1000 calories? I rarely ever exercise at all and when I do it's never more than 300 cals and I eat it back. I don't know wtf you're reading.

• coruscatti
    Options
    So, for breakfast, you're including two cups of leafy greens? With nothing on them? Just...greens?

Yes I don't mind eating dark leafy green vegetables (ie. kale, arugula, spinach) without dressing...I never really have ever used dressing on them. Honestly I find dressing to be a little gross, even the homemade vinegar/olive oil stuff. The only leafy green vegetable that HAS to have dressing on it is lettuce because it is so bitter. But I solve that problem by just not buying lettuce since I don't like it anyway and the greens I mentioned are healthier.
    And for lunch, two pieces of bread? Just...plain? Not a sandwich, or toast with some spread like almond butter rather than the (raw??) almonds. (Do you mean blanched? Raw almonds are poisonous, aren't they?)

It says "raw almonds" on the container. I'm sure they're not entirely raw. Well I also have cheese to go with the toast, not ON the bread, but alongside it. I also sometimes add my own seasonings to the almonds such as cayenne pepper and I am going to be adding salt because my sodium intake is too low. I also decided that sometimes I will have peanut butter instead of almonds...I think that will be ok as long as it's not the "natural" kind of peanut butter that leaks oil EVERYWHERE.

However I really don't see how toast with almond butter is "superior" to toast with almonds on the side. They're like basically the same thing.
    And tea for dessert? TEA? With nothing in it? How would this be dessert?

Well it's not "dessert" exactly, it's more "what I consume while studying after having dinner." I already had my "sweet" food at lunch so it would be too much to have another "sweet" food after dinner. Also tea is awesome, especially herbal teas, and very flavorful even without any sugar in it or anything. I also find unsweetened coconut milk to be flavorful (honestly I prefer it over the vanilla/original versions).

I am a supertaster so maybe my taste buds are different from most peoples'.
    Sorry for all the questions, but I find this plan very confusing, and if I'm reading it correctly, extremely unappetizing.

Now I know why the average American is obese!

Anyway I would say about 10% of responses have been about actual health and stuff that's actually relevant. The rest have just been people trying to take me down a peg. You are all such lovely people.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    Storble wrote: »

See now this is a good and relevant response!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes I don't mind eating dark leafy green vegetables (ie. kale, arugula, spinach) without dressing...I never really have ever used dressing on them. Honestly I find dressing to be a little gross, even the homemade vinegar/olive oil stuff. The only leafy green vegetable that HAS to have dressing on it is lettuce because it is so bitter. But I solve that problem by just not buying lettuce since I don't like it anyway and the greens I mentioned are healthier.
    And for lunch, two pieces of bread? Just...plain? Not a sandwich, or toast with some spread like almond butter rather than the (raw??) almonds. (Do you mean blanched? Raw almonds are poisonous, aren't they?)

It says "raw almonds" on the container. I'm sure they're not entirely raw. Well I also have cheese to go with the toast, not ON the bread, but alongside it. I also sometimes add my own seasonings to the almonds such as cayenne pepper and I am going to be adding salt because my sodium intake is too low. I also decided that sometimes I will have peanut butter instead of almonds...I think that will be ok as long as it's not the "natural" kind of peanut butter that leaks oil EVERYWHERE.

However I really don't see how toast with almond butter is "superior" to toast with almonds on the side. They're like basically the same thing.
    And tea for dessert? TEA? With nothing in it? How would this be dessert?

Well it's not "dessert" exactly, it's more "what I consume while studying after having dinner." I already had my "sweet" food at lunch so it would be too much to have another "sweet" food after dinner. Also tea is awesome, especially herbal teas, and very flavorful even without any sugar in it or anything. I also find unsweetened coconut milk to be flavorful (honestly I prefer it over the vanilla/original versions).

I am a supertaster so maybe my taste buds are different from most peoples'.

Anyway I would say about 10% of responses have been about actual health and stuff that's actually relevant. The rest have just been people trying to take me down a peg. You are all such lovely people.

I think I better understand why you need water with your cheerios... dry greens, plain toast, cheerios and nuts... I would need water to help get all that down too!

And whats the reason you think Americans are obese? Because people here are advising you to eat more variety and saying food should be enjoyable?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

And you are lovely too ;)
  • coruscatti
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My only requirement is 145g of protein every day.

See if I was like everyone else on this forum I would be all like "145g of protein PER DAY?! That's DISGUSTING! How can you POSSIBLY eat that much??"

...but I'm not THAT sanctimonious.
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I think I better understand why you need water with your cheerios... dry greens, plain toast, cheerios and nuts... I would need water to help get all that down too!

Ummm no it's because you're supposed to drink 8 cups of water per day. Since I work in a lab I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything as I work and so I have to remember to actually go get water when I'm taking a break, or else I will get headaches.
    And whats the reason you think Americans are obese? Because people here are advising you to eat more variety and saying food should be enjoyable?

No because this person seemed soooo shocked that it's possible to eat salad without dressing and have tea with nothing in it. Food is enjoyable to me. I don't know why everyone is assuming it's not just because they don't personally like the foods I eat.

Anyway, as for the protein thing, this morning I had to use up some food in my refrigerator before going away for Thanksgiving, so I had three scrambled eggs and a Greek yogurt for breakfast and unsweetened coconut milk. That's supposedly the "high protein/high fat/includes copious amounts of animal products" breakfast everyone is telling me to have...so we'll see if I'm hungry by 10:30 or not.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My only requirement is 145g of protein every day.

See if I was like everyone else on this forum I would be all like "145g of protein PER DAY?! That's DISGUSTING! How can you POSSIBLY eat that much??"

...but I'm not THAT sanctimonious.
    At this point, I think it's best to just let this thread go. Many people cannot eat what you eat every day, but overall, it seems to meet your macro goals, keeps you satiated, and you enjoy your food. If it works for you, that's all that matters (and it doesn't matter if it would work for me or anyone else).
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    At this point, I think it's best to just let this thread go. Many people cannot eat what you eat every day, but overall, it seems to meet your macro goals, keeps you satiated, and you enjoy your food. If it works for you, that's all that matters (and it doesn't matter if it would work for me or anyone else).

Well some people brought up the possibility of long-term nutritional deficiencies developing and I was hoping to get comments more along the lines of that. Like what are some nutrient-rich foods I could add to make sure I get all the esoteric micro-nutrients like selenium and stuff that aren't even listed on MFP. Stuff like that.

Also stuff about balance of actual food groups. Like am I having too many nuts/legumes and what are the consequences of that. Or am I having too much dairy or not enough.

I guess I just expected to get more intelligent comments than "OMG YOUR DIET IS GROSS!!!!111"