I don't know how to stop binging

Options
It's becoming an every day thing and I'm sabotaging myself and it's really getting upsetting.

Two months ago, I lost 12 lbs in about a month and it was great. I was really happy with myself and proud. And then I started a new job. Not only did I go from 8 hours a day on my feet in retail to a desk job, but I went from a store without even a microwave to a haven for my fat brain. I sit at my desk for 8 hours a day, only getting up to pee and eat. And the kitchen is filled with free snacks.

There's a movie popcorn machine, two flavors of Faygo slushies, garlic (my favorite) Chex Mix with Cheez its (my favorite of the cheese crackers), M&M trail mix, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Every day, I eat at least two Styrofoam cups-worth of one or more of the snacks and have at least two slushies. The Chex Mix alone has 130 calories in half a cup and I'll easily go through two or three cups a day. One day the air was broken and I had 6 slushies. I eat lunch and then I go and get popcorn. Then I go back to my desk and 20 minutes later I go get Chex Mix and a slushie. Then I come home to chips and guac, Cheez Its, or some other snack food that my mother has bought. This weekend I ate an entire costco sized tub of italian pasta salad. AND an entire box of Cheez Its.

I have no idea how to stop this. I can't avoid it because I have to walk past it all to put my lunch in the refrigerator and to get to the bathroom. I don't even track it, which ruins my entire day and I almost never track past lunch because I get upset with myself and give up. Every single day. In the past two months I've put on all of the weight that I lost before and it's honestly so depressing that I've seriously considered weight loss surgery that is against my personal morals.

How do I stop this so I can lose weight and get past this point in my life? I'm really not looking for someone to tell me to just stop eating it because I already have someone who doesn't understand what I'm going through and I don't need more.

Replies

• mmellgirl
    mmellgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might consider the fact that you are a food addict. Check out www.oa.org for meetings in your area. Be open minded and give it a try. Food can be an addiction just like alcohol, drugs etc. Many times food and weight are just the symptons. Good luck.
  • tweetspie
    tweetspie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work 55 hours a week, so it's not possible to attend any sort of meeting.
  • mmellgirl
    mmellgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep it in mind..........
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Track it. All of it. It's easy to hide it from yourself if you don't log it. How about making a lunch that doesn't require refrigeration? Bring your own snacks? A huge water bottle? It's hard to avoid temptation, but if you can find substitutes or ways to avoid being confronted with it it might be easier.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Can you not take your own food to work and maybe treat those snacks as a treat once a week or longer?
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your diet and incorporating foods that keep you feeling full longer. High fiber vegetables and fruits that contain pectin. Also incorporate healthy fats as it helps when cutting carbs. If you feel full, you typically wont have the desire to binge eat.
  • slenderyeppie
    slenderyeppie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? The original founder's daughter Dr. Beck has a diet called The Beck Diet which helps you change the way you think about food/your relationship to food.

There is a book and a workbook you can follow along in your own time (since you're busy) to fundamentally change the way you see yourself- as being helpless to food, needing to eat that food, etc.

I feel for you. The kitchen at my work last year had so many baked goods and leftover lunches. I beat myself up so much for eating unplanned meals and feeling out of control. Best of luck.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work 55 hours a week, so it's not possible to attend any sort of meeting.

make time
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

There are 168 hours in a week. You clearly need/want some sort of outside accountability since you're here telling us that self-accountability isn't working.

If your employer offers an EAP (most do) then I encourage you to use it. This isn't a food problem, this is a mental/emotional problem. And there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I've seen a counselor twice in my life for different issues. Both times were extremely helpful. I don't understand why people will take time off of work to go to the doctor for an injury or a physical injury, but won't take the time to for treatment for a mental issue. Figure out what's causing you to BINGE. Eating when hungry is normal, binging when hungry (or not hungry) is not.

Further, Stop going into the kitchen! It's clearly a problem area for you. Bring a cooler with ice packs with your lunch in it, and put it under your desk. Or bring lunches that don't need to be refrigerated. Fruit, veggies, whatever. Or, if you have the opportunity, walk to a grocery store or a fruit stand or whatever and buy your healthy lunch.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fruit and water at your desk will help, gum too!
  • tweetspie
    Options
    It's not about being hungry. I will often eat until I'm on the verge of vomiting. I understand that I have a serious problem. Even if I take my own snacks to work (which I did today) I will eat them TOO or I'll eat the other snacks instead.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is that the job you plan to retire from? Because if you're going to leave it, it might be better to do that now before it kills you to be working there when you aren't strong enough to eat your own food. Nobody but you puts that crap in your mouth and you are choosing to say "poor me" instead of doing the next right thing and making a choice to have the life you say you want. Quit if you need to. But if you eat yourself to death it is a CHOICE. You are not a victim. Stop claiming that you have no options. Life is difficult. Being overweight just makes it harder.
  • tweetspie
    Options
    Is that the job you plan to retire from? Because if you're going to leave it, it might be better to do that now before it kills you to be working there when you aren't strong enough to eat your own food. Nobody but you puts that crap in your mouth and you are choosing to say "poor me" instead of doing the next right thing and making a choice to have the life you say you want. Quit if you need to. But if you eat yourself to death it is a CHOICE. You are not a victim. Stop claiming that you have no options. Life is difficult. Being overweight just makes it harder.

Yes, as a matter of fact, this is what I want my career to be and I do not want to screw up my entire life.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am looking for advice from people who have had binge eating problems in the past and have gotten past them. I am not making myself a victim. I have a serious mental issue and I cannot afford nor have time to get help for. I'm looking for advice, not rude *kitten* comments about how I'm making myself a victim.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It's not about being hungry. I will often eat until I'm on the verge of vomiting. I understand that I have a serious problem. Even if I take my own snacks to work (which I did today) I will eat them TOO or I'll eat the other snacks instead.

Definitely log it then. I have done this so many times and made better choices after seeing the calorie content in junk type of food.
  • edelge
    edelge Posts: 1
    Options
    Man, talk about a group of people who just don't get it.
    It is hard and you need a combination of truly supportive people and counseling/behavioral therapy.
    Unless you have been a hundred pounds overweight you have no idea how hard it is.
    Feel free to message me if you want to talk. Hang in there.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

make time

QFT

If you really want to find a way, you will. You can either make the decision to stop shoving food in your mouth when your not hungry or admit you might have a problem and need help and find a way to fix it.

Time may be scarce but you shot down that idea without even looking into the program and seeing if there is a time slot you can make. The majority of us have jobs, kids, or both...but making time for what is going to end up helping you is worth the effort.

Posting on an internet forum might help for about 3 seconds, but if you shoot down the sound advice with excuses, then you're not really ready to do what it takes to make it happen.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

make time

I am an alcoholic. I have been sober for over a year and half. I work 50-60 hours a week and I make time to work out AND attend meetings because it is something that I want to make time for. It is really hard sometimes, and it is by no means going to be easy. You have to make sacrifices. Some weeks I focus more on my family or friends and so I make time to attend an online support group...there are tons of support groups on the internet :laugh:

I am an emotional food binger so I understand what you mean by the uncontrollable factor, you've eaten 3 servings before you even realize what you're doing right? Yeah, it sucks. One of my remedies to avoid the office snacks is to always have a snack drawer. I keep things that are sweet and salty to satisfy my urges like planters granola bars in my desk. I keep bananas on my desk too. There are lots of healthier options out there doll! You can do it!!

Add me and we can keep on each other to keep strong :flowerforyou:
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You could try talking to a psychologist about a possible neurotransmitter deficiency. If certain ones are out of flux, it can cause addiction or reward seeking behavior. I have ADHD which is caused by a deficiency in dopamine. I used to eat a lot because I crave some sort of stimulus. Food is a common stimulus for people who eat when we're bored. But now I take welbutrin XR (zoloft) for the dopamine issue and it curbs all my reward seeking behavior. Yes I'll be on the meds for the rest of my life but I don't mind that since it's fixing an out of balance issue that I was born with. I already exercise a lot but it wasn't enough to keep a solid uptake of dopamine all day long.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i too was like you and the only thing that saved me was being accountable !also lots of family support. i wanted it so bad so me and my fiance got all the junk outta the house. my extended family knows i am changing my lyfestyle so they are trying to be encouraging by not offering me junk and my mom is super cute and posts healthy recipes to my facebook. if your job is a big problem you should probably start looking for a job where your not sitting because for me when i sit thats when i want to snack!!! maybe something a little more fast paced as for home life i think you said you live with your mom forgive me if i am wrong its late lol but maybe you could talk to her about how important it is to you to not have junk food in the house alteast until you have more control. thats what i did with my fiance and he was totally on board! hope that was helpful and feel free to add me. and sorry my grammar sucks :wink: