Do you ever take a week or two 'break' from the gym?

Options
Hi All

I've been going to the gym solidly for about 12 months now and have very rarely gone more than a week without going at least once. I usually hit at least twice or three times a week for lifting/resistance.

I have a lot going on right now in my life and my head is a bit of a shed. I seem to have lost my gym motivation. I still eat really healthy as it makes me feel so much better, less spots, better digestion etc etc. But the gym motivation side of me has gone this past week or so.

I'm not sure if it's just because my life has been so focused around the gym etc recently that I want to just have a bit of time chilling and doing things around the home rather than spending most of my nights in the gym (I usually spend a couple of hours there as the gym I use is really busy so have to wait plus my resistance routines are really good, but quite long).

I'm not looking to lose weight or gain. Just to gain more muscle definition, mainly in my lwoer body. (Very keen not to use the word tone as I know how much it annoys as it's not really a thing!)

I was just wondering whether you guys ever take a two break or so from the gym as for a bit of a break so you can recuperate?

I am really torn whether this is a healthy attitude towards the gym or whether I'm just trying to find an excuse??

Any help, or kick up the A** would be appreciated :)

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yes take time off, One week and you will come back stronger!!!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes take time off, One week and you will come back stronger!!!

agreed here. You and your body deserve a break mentally and psychically. Come back in two weeks even more determined++
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I regularly take a week off. I'll still do light cardio and foam roll, but no weights. Gets me rested and primed to lift big when I come back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes...I take a week off every 12 weeks or so...

Also, I'd re-evaluate that routine...two hours at the gym is simply not necessary...a good full body resistance program can be done 3x weekly in about an hour.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a week off in about 6 years
  • yuiconnor
    Options
    I have the same problem. because right now we all in holiday mode and I'm between jobs and schools as well as the season, So I'm not really go to the gym rather workout at home. I kind of lost my motivation but I promise myself to go after mid-January.
  • maphillips003
    Options
    I think it's great to take a little time off here and there! The last thing you want is something to become monotonous and unpleasant. I find that sometimes I become more motivated after skipping a few days... as long as I keep my eating right, that is!
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to take some gym time off if you are feeling burnt out. Find other alternate activities. Go for a long walk. Do aerobics and body weight exercises at home, but get away from the gym if you are feeling burnt out or a lack of motivation.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    GeorgiPorgi1989 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your guys feedback :)

I definitely think burnt out sums me up!

As I said before, I still eat healthy regardless of my exercise motivation and have a very healthy attitude towards food!

I think I shall take a week or two break and kick myself back into it again, definitely think I will go back feeling refreshed and ready to rock again!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't usually take time off from lifting...the DOMS I get upon returning just aren't worth it haha.

However, I haven't run at all in the last week. I'm burned out, and had other things going on. I've enjoyed the time off, and I'm ready to get back to it today. Nothing wrong with taking a break.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    no...I never take time off, but I have to be there so I don't really have a choice. I still get burned out sometimes, but usually I change the workout up a bit, plan something fun for the class (glowstick/EDM night helped), etc. I do my heavier lifting in the office gym & on days I don't want to do that I remind myself I don't want to do the work twice & need to get away from my desk anyway.

Maybe trying a different workout would help. I'm not a fan of not working out unless you are sick or hurt, but I know people's lives get in the way sometimes.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Never a full week. At best, I take a day off, and a half *kitten* day the week before a competition.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a 10 day break in October when I was on vacation. When I got home, I went straight back to it. I did have a little more soreness than normal after that first day back, but otherwise, it wasn't a problem.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    Options
    Thanks guys. After reading these forums for a while I've noted that everyone has their own opinion and has their own way of doing things.

I'm pretty confident I will be able to have a break, get back into it and I will have to deal with the soreness as and when!

Thanks for all your comments though :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to lose weight or gain. Just to gain more muscle definition, mainly in my lower body. (Very keen not to use the word tone

But you are ;).

Seriously, you're sounding wishy-washy. It sounds like you don't have a goal:
    "Not looking to lose weight or gain."

But then, "gain more muscle definition"
    Aha! Sounds suspiciously like a goal.

That means lifting hard and eating a caloric surplus. Are you doing that? Or really just maintaining? Do you have strength metrics? Do you want them to go up?

Any of those things are certainly valid. I would point out that if you don't have clear reasons to be doing something, there's no intrinsic motivation to do... anything much.

Just poking here.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    Options
    I do have a goal - I have a goal to gain muscle definition.

I don't "aim" to lose or gain weight, in the sense of I'm not cutting my calories or eating surplus for a gain. I'm eating at maintenance. However I am aware that the scale will probably go up as I train more and more and muscle becomes more prominent, this doesn't bother me so much as I'm not interested at the number on the scale.

I lift. I have a program with one of the best fitness trainers in this area (who is probably my admiration for start seriously lifting) and she's helped me shape my work out for what I want, which is muscle definition mainly in arms and lower body. Which is working well as I now have more prominent muscles in my arms and I'm proud to have them out when wearing a dress or short sleeved top!

I am not aiming to the be next power lifter or at the next competition, I just hope to have some more definition, a nicer, rounded a**, thats all. Nothing complicated about it really...
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    The only time I have taken off from going to the gym is when I've been out of the country on vacation. During those times, I've done a TON of walking. I have found that the break makes me even more anxious and excited to get back to it!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have taken one week off in the last 4 years - and it was because I was on vacation 7 didn't have a choice. I hate taking time off from training. I realize some people come back stronger but I NEVER have.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose much of anything by taking a week off, and your body will likely benefit from some recuperative time. It's mostly a mental thing, lots of lifters feel lost if they're out of their routine, I know I do. But if you're feeling burnt out and lacking motivation take the break. Come back in a week or two with a new kick *kitten* playlist on the MP3 and tear it up.
  • determinedladybug
    Options
    I find when I take a week off, I am able to get back in the game mentally and physically stronger and usually have great results. Routine and habits are important but so is motivation and being happy.