Do you ever take a week or two 'break' from the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I got in a situation where I was doing double workouts every day with a lot of heavy lifting and Crossfit and started to feel like my central nervous system wasn't responding properly. I was failing lifts that were usually easy for me at my warm up weight and having problems with coordination. I took a week out of the gym and did yoga most days with a lot of hiking and walking. I came back and hit personal bests on a couple of lifts. I also take several days off before a Crossfit competition and nearly a week off before a powerlifting competition.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    GeorgiPorgi1989 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys, feeling a lot better as I know I'm not alone in feeling like this sometimes!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YUP.

my priorities are liquid and always changing, I need to be flexible and allow other things to be more important on occasion. Sometimes I do it to avoid burnout. Sometimes my body needs a break. Sometimes my BRAIN needs a break.

When I got to the point where I could take a little time off for a full week's cycle every few months, without panicking that I would undo all my progress or fall off the wagon, I knew I'd reached a healthy mindset.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    my priorities are liquid and always changing, I need to be flexible and allow other things to be more important on occasion. Sometimes I do it to avoid burnout. Sometimes my body needs a break. Sometimes my BRAIN needs a break.
    Agreed.

Completely.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The only times I've taken more than a few days off in a row was due to injury. Missed most of this month actually due to a lower back injury and it killed me inside. And honestly it was REALLY hard to get out of bed early and get back into my normal routine with just 3 weeks off. That's why I won't stop.

I haven't felt "blah" about exercise in a really long time. But then I have specific goals I am extremely motivated to accomplish. So try setting goals or switching up your routine. Find something new and exciting.

Our priorities are shown by our actions.

Best of luck!
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I actually took a month off because my body was just exhausted and I needed to spend more time with my child. A break here and there is much needed for your sanity and for your health
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I think since I've been back at it I've only missed a week of working out? I wanted to see if it would have a positive effect on a water weight/ bloating thing I had going on. I don't mind shifting around a day to suit my needs, or a couple if I'm super sick.
    But like, today I'm actually braving a snow storm to get to the gym, soooooo... But who knows. Maybe in a couple months I'll just need a break.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I took a week off in September or October when I realized I was horrifically under-recovered from my workout regimen. It was totally worth it and got me back on track fast.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    On a planned week-long break now, except for this little test I am going to do tonight. Last break I took was two weeks long, but I planned in active rest sessions with plenty of stretching, foam rolling, and some light cardio. (I did sneak in one heavy dl session because.)

An hour of stretching/foam rolling a few times a week in between programs makes you feel almost 38 again.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    GeorgiPorgi1989 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

I've taken 2 weeks off and due to go back and fight again tonight! Wish me luck...
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Tear it up :D
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes although it's not something that I consciously decide to do. Typically my breaks come when I am on vacation and don't have access to a gym.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    YUP.

When I got to the point where I could take a little time off for a full week's cycle every few months, without panicking that I would undo all my progress or fall off the wagon, I knew I'd reached a healthy mindset.

Couldn't have said it better myself, yoovie. It's like you read my mind.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually am in the gym for an hour and a half to two hours, six days a week. It is never a bad idea to take a "deload" week where you cut your weights back to 50% of what you would normally lift, just to keep them activated but not working as hard. This can serve the same purpose as a rest period, without the struggle of adjusting after being completely gone.