Getting Started with Strength Training

Options
I'm almost at the half-way point with my weight loss, and had planned that to be when I would start working on building muscle (while continuing to lose the remaining fat). It isn't really an option to hire a personal trainer, so I'm looking to try to find a place to create a workout plan that is flexible for growth. I've considered Fiverr, but am open to other suggestions as far as websites or apps. I do have a gym membership (24 hr. gym) with the typical weight machines and have an opportunity to go 2-3 times per week most weeks.

Does anybody have suggestions for websites or apps that can help create a strength training plan? TIA

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You should not build something custom unless you're an advanced lifter. As a beginner, you need to build your overall base strength with a preset newbie program. Something like StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ^Yup. Start one of those time tested and proven programs. DTP, and benefit.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com and www.bodyrecomposition.com are great places to start if you're looking weight lifting programs or just general bodybuilding and diet information.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There is an app for the You Are Your Own Gym program.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

This is a bodyweight program.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald has a good four part series called Beginning Weight Training. The fourth post/article has three routines for beginners, including one that is machine-based.

In addition to the programs in that post, there are a ton of other beginner programs. Two others are Stronglifts 5x5 and the AllPro Simple Beginner Routine.
  • dbmata
    Options

This is a bodyweight program.

Which means, not strength training. It's bodyweight training.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I guess I'm more concerned about results than the method. If bodyweight or non-machine will provide the same results, I'm open to the idea.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hmmm.... I guess I'm more concerned about results than the method. If bodyweight or non-machine will provide the same results, I'm open to the idea.

bodyweight won't.

Free weights will. Machines will.
    Free weights will be more difficult and more efficient.
    Machines will be easier and less efficient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A few more bodyweight programs:

Nerd Fitness Beginner Bodyweight Workout
    Start Bodyweight basic routine
    Convict Conditioning

A good bodyweight resource: Strength Unbound.

• concordancia
    Options
    Despite what the gym rats are saying, you can get a long ways on bodyweight exercises. As you progress, you may decide that it isn't for you, or you want to continue to move onto free weights, but unless you can do solid pushups, pullups and one legged squats right now, you can make a lot of gains with a bodyweight program.
  • erocks308
    Options
    Unlikely you're going to build much in the way muscle in a calorie defecit, but nothing wrong with starting a program like this.

Stronglifts is about as easy to learn and follow as it comes. Free app will tell you what to do and when to do it. Start with the lowest recommended weights on the bar and learn to do the lifts properly.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Despite what the gym rats are saying, you can get a long ways on bodyweight exercises. As you progress, you may decide that it isn't for you, or you want to continue to move onto free weights, but unless you can do solid pushups, pullups and one legged squats right now, you can make a lot of gains with a bodyweight program.

I like that, position your way as the right one by deriding the people suggesting a different way.

Free weights are efficient, and will generate strength increases at a higher magnitude and rate than bodyweight. I use bodyweight as a cool down, and to rest between work sets, personally.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Nobody questioned how far you can get on body weight exercises. It was merely asserted that they will not provide the same results as training with free weights.

Plenty of lifters use body weight work to round out their programs to good results, but lifting heavy will produce faster strength gains than body weight alone.
  • concordancia
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I like that, position your way as the right one by deriding the people suggesting a different way.

Free weights are efficient, and will generate strength increases at a higher magnitude and rate than bodyweight. I use bodyweight as a cool down, and to rest between work sets, personally.

Yes, I will deride anyone who says that body weight training isn't strength training (which was said earlier in the thread), because they are wrong.

That is a separate argument from the relative merits of the two.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Bodyweight training is bodyweight training.
    Free weight training is strength training.

Bodyweight training can be helpful to gain some strength.
    Free weight training is more efficient and focuses on the development of strength, power, and muscle growth depending on programming.

You aren't wrong, you just aren't precise or accurate in this case. Sorry bub.
  • Joshuam2107
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of stronglifts, I'm enjoying it but I don't know if you have a squat rack and necessary free weights at your gym.
  • concordancia
    Options

Free weight training is more efficient and focuses on the development of strength, power, and muscle growth depending on programming.

What, exactly, is your definition of strength training, then? And where did you get it from?

• fivethreeone
    Options

Both are strength training. One is merely more efficient.

"Strength training: a method of improving muscular strength by gradually increasing the ability to resist force through the use of free weights, machines, or the person's own body weight. Strength training sessions are designed to impose increasingly greater resistance, which in turn stimulates development of muscle strength to meet the added demand." -Mosby's Medical Dictionary
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Bodyweight training IS a different form of strength training. Though you may not gain as much strength (or as fast) compared to barbell training, it's still effective and does focus on the development of strength, power and even muscle growth if you are challenging yourself with different variations.