Relationship Weight

Options
My boyfriend is naturally slim and lean, so it's hard for him to grasp that if I eat a 800 calorie burger it will kill me versus him who can't gain fat it seems to save his own life. I love him dearly, but he just doesn't understand that my body doesn't work the same way his does and going out on dates is getting increasingly harder because he likes fat,meat,BBQ crap and it's getting extremely hard to not cheat on date days with him.

Any suggestions other then just communicating with him ( I already slowly am, it's just hard telling him hey I wanna lose weight quit it)? I want him to get his greasy goodness, but I need a middle ground where I can eat something too without needing a 5 mile run after to shed it all.

Please and thank you!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Why will an 800 calorie burger kill you?

What restaurants are you going to that a burger is your only option?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Choose lower calorie options, save up calories for later in the day, lots of ways to go about it.
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

It's places like local BBQ places where the alternative salads I just flat out don't like (I'm relatively picky), typically where he wants to go, and in n out, and Red Robin, ect.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try going on dates that aren't centered around food and eating.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're just going to have to make good choices that fit into your calories and macros while on dates. Maybe you two can alternate picking different places to go? But if you aren't going out to eat MOST meals during the week, there is no reason you can't fit in one of those fat,meat, BBQ crap/deathburger meals and still lose weight. I do it all the time.

Why do your dates have to be food related anyway? Why not go do something active together or cook a meal at home together?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

It's places like local BBQ places where the alternative salads I just flat out don't like (I'm relatively picky), typically where he wants to go, and in n out, and Red Robin, ect.

Well you have a few options:

1) stop being picky and get a salad
    2)eat the 800 calorie burger and just plan around it
    3)just break up
    4)be an adult and have this conversation with him, sit him down and make him understand. he can't be that dense.
    5)just stay fat

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1. "Naturally thin" is *kitten*
    2. He has no power over you or your dietary habits
    3. Metabolically, your body is the same (unless you have a medical condition)
    4. Just break up
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Could you not ask them to prepare things how you want it? Salad, grilled chicken without dressing, plain straight up veg? Just coz it isn't on the menu doesn't mean it can't be ordered. Even in macdonalds you can get them to make a big mac exactly how you want it!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Choose lower calorie options, save up calories for later in the day, lots of ways to go about it.

Yup. I do both of these things when I know I will be eating out. Saving my calories and eating what I really want is never a bad call.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

3)just break up
    4)be an adult and have this conversation with him, sit him down and make him understand. he can't be that dense.
    5)just stay fat

Let's get married. Tomorrow. I won't get fat or complain.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a combo of finding lower calorie choices at the restaurants he likes and expecting him to compromise sometimes to go to places you like. Plus, obviously, find places you both like. I mean, in any relationship you have to have some give and take.
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do know what it's like to have a spouse who seems to want to go out to eat all the time!

But most restaurants have a section devoted to lighter options, and especially if you're eating at a chain restaurant the meal should be in the database so you can log your food correctly. :)
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

3)just break up
    5)just stay fat

LOL!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My husband eats the same way as your boyfriend, but I just eat the foods I need to eat to lose weight and be healthy. I think one way to handle it would be to go to places where he could get the burger he wants, while you get something healthier. Chain restaurants like Uno, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees etc., have burgers, but they also have healthy, low-cal menu items. The only thing I ask is that we not accept the bread basket, as that is tempting to me. Also, Red Robin has a grilled chicken sandwich that you could get with a side of their fruit salad.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do know what it's like to have a spouse who seems to want to go out to eat all the time!

But most restaurants have a section devoted to lighter options, and especially if you're eating at a chain restaurant the meal should be in the database so you can log your food correctly. :)

Like a "fat people only" section?

I kid, I kid
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i refuse to let my trying to lose weight alter what my wife eats. This is my whale to slay. Not hers.

So if/when we do go out to eat, I try to get on the restaurant's website ahead of time and see what they have that would fit into my macros. I think if I can make the choice ahead of time, i'm not as tempted when sitting in the restaurant. If I know we are going out enough in advance, I can make adjustments during the day that would allow me to indulge.

As a side note: most restaurants will make you something that isn't on the menu if you request it (provided they have the ingredients)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are describing my husband and me, as well. Luckily, we met through an activity, so meals were never more than a means to fuel our activities. However, over the years I have developed a few strategies.

-Offer him the other half of your dinner. An 800 calorie burger cut in half is only 400!

-Ask to choose the restaurant. Make sure the ones you choose have options for him to fuel up, as well.

-Plan a picnic. Again, make sure that you bring enough that he will be full. I usually plan on giving my husband twice as much food as I need. If I make sandwiches, I might get half and he gets one and a half (depends on the bread, obviously).

-Plan dates around activities - go for a hike or a bike ride, take a dance class together, go to a boxing gym, when was the last time you went roller skating?
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I told my boyfriend if we were going to continue to eat that way we also had to workout together. (We had both gotten soft in the middle) It has made us become more aware of what we are cooking/eating and also gives us more of a variety of what we do together now.

ETA: I liked Floridanudist's suggestion as well!! :wink: