Relationship Weight

Options

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Find healthy options at the restaurants- In n out-- just get the regular burger or cheeseburger with no sauce and no fries-- yes you have to eat less so you don't eat the 800 -1000 cal meal

or like others have suggested save your cals or have a date not centered on food

I get the frustration at the watching him eat whatever he wants but not being able to do the same-- but you can still have days when you eat what you want just be good the rest of the week or save your cals/macros!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    JTick wrote: »
    Why will an 800 calorie burger kill you?

What restaurants are you going to that a burger is your only option?

It's places like local BBQ places where the alternative salads I just flat out don't like (I'm relatively picky), typically where he wants to go, and in n out, and Red Robin, ect.

Well you have a few options:

1) stop being picky and get a salad
    2)eat the 800 calorie burger and just plan around it
    3)just break up
    4)be an adult and have this conversation with him, sit him down and make him understand. he can't be that dense.
    5)just stay fat

this is about all that can be said.

Seriously- this isn't that difficult.
    -I work around special meals out (typically all you can eat places)- otherwise I make good choices about what I eat.
    Or I just flat out tell him- I can't afford to eat out- we have to do something else.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    How about you choose where you're going to eat? So next time he's all "let's go out to eat" find a place with a light menu options that you'll enjoy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

It's places like local BBQ places where the alternative salads I just flat out don't like (I'm relatively picky), typically where he wants to go, and in n out, and Red Robin, ect.

Grilled Chicken Sammich

/thread
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    he likes fat,meat,BBQ crap

I don't understand the problem. There's nothing in that that will have to mess up your cut.

At a fast food/BBQ joint:
    1. don't eat fries
    2. don't eat bread
    3. no sweet tea, or sugar soda

You can get a plate of brisket or misc. meat combo. You could get a pulled pork sandwich and ditch the bun.
    BBQ places are great for cutting!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Red Robin is probably one of the easiest places to get a good burger without a load of calories. They offer different bun options, lettuce bun, ect, and you can customize any burger. I don't understand the problem.

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Red Robin is probably one of the easiest places to get a good burger without a load of calories. They offer different bun options, lettuce bun, ect, and you can customize any burger. I don't understand the problem.

On top of that, they have a calorie and macro calculator online that does ALLLLLL the work for you! You don't even have to make halfassed guesses just using the MFP database.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    i refuse to let my trying to lose weight alter what my wife eats. This is my whale to slay. Not hers.

So if/when we do go out to eat, I try to get on the restaurant's website ahead of time and see what they have that would fit into my macros. I think if I can make the choice ahead of time, i'm not as tempted when sitting in the restaurant. If I know we are going out enough in advance, I can make adjustments during the day that would allow me to indulge.

As a side note: most restaurants will make you something that isn't on the menu if you request it (provided they have the ingredients)

Yes, this. Very wise, common sense advice.

Also, if you're feeling jealous that he can eat things that you can't, that's an issue you need to resolve for yourself. It has nothing to do with him, dates, or choice of restaurants. Sorry, not to sound harsh, but until you accept that how you eat and live is for YOU and not to be compared with someone else, you may not succeed.

Either make healthier choices when you go out to eat or eat just a small portion. It can be done.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of saving half for later. or, at least trying to. I have to get the to go box with the meal and divide it up before I start eating, or I'm going to eat it all right then and there. :p
  • Sing_90
    Sing_90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my GF. Ask him to cook together, which also is fun to do. By cooking it yourself (or with him) you can track every single macro.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. You can work with one big meal and a snack or two in one day (personally if I eat a large meal I'm not too hungry the rest of the day usually anyway). Only eating half is another good solution. I'd like to add that getting a more basic burger (no mayo, bacon, etc.) and a veggie instead of fries is great (if you have the option). The local BBQ place around me has roasted chicken as an option, which isn't as bad as a big burger.

Also, why don't you alternate where you eat? You pick every other time where you go.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact you can get any Red Robin burger wrapped in lettuce, and can get fruit or brocolli for a side dish.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Well you have a few options:

1) stop being picky and get a salad
    2)eat the 800 calorie burger and just plan around it
    3)just break up
    4)be an adult and have this conversation with him, sit him down and make him understand. he can't be that dense.
    5)just stay fat

I love you.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My bf is the same way, though after dating for 5 years (and aging/having slowing metabolisms), he has gotten much better about making conscientious choices about diet. My go to at any restaurant, especially for dinner, is a broth based soup. I'm in Houston, so we have tortilla soup as an option most everywhere. Other option is a salad with protein and dressing on the side.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Choose lower calorie options, save up calories for later in the day, lots of ways to go about it.

This is how I've had to do it. My social group eats and drinks, and I'm actually a lot happier if I eat relatively little early in the day, and save the bulk of my calories for the evening. (Usually 800 - 1000.) You could also eat half of your entrees and take the other half home. Or offer to cook, and prepare things that meet both of your needs at the same time.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make compromises occasionally, go eat the 800 calorie burger and then go for the 5 mile run or find an activity you both enjoy that you could do to burn off those calories. Other times go to places that have more appealing options to you and then you wouldn't have to find ways to burn off the extra calories. Do things that are centered more around activity than eating and that could help with relationship weight gain too.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you'll be happier if you're honest with him and brainstorm together to find some restaurants that can satisfy you both. Red Robin probably does have some healthy options, but I agree In-N-Out is rough. Maybe you can take turns picking the restaurant?
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I go out to lunch everyday with a group at work, all male, and mostly out of shape and large, similar to what I was.

Doesn't matter where we go, and I never dictate in order to meet my requirements, but I can always find something health"ier". As others have stated, choose better, or eat less, or adjust around it. There is absolutely NOTHING that can stop you, if you choose!

This reminds me of another thread, but if he can't support you, or rather you can't be flexible around his lifestyle, do you really belong together? As someone who has been married over 20+ years, these are things you should really be looking at. Maybe you are just looking for support and I appreciate that, just thought I would throw that out for thought? I know it's none of my business.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Eat salad anyway, eat half your dinner, cook at home, exercise more, take turns choosing where to eat- so many choices!

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    if you go to in-n-out, order a protein style hamburger plain. it's 160 calories.
    if you go to a wings place, peel the skin/breading off and just eat the actual chicken underneath.
    if you go to a pizza place, order wings and do the same thing with them.
    if you get chinese, order a vegetable dish and skip the rice/noodles.
    if you get subs or burgers, skip the bun.
    if none of these are satisfying because you actually want the 800-calorie burger, don't blame your boyfriend.