I DON'T WANT TO WORK OUT!!!

Options

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Think of it in terms of survival... In order for the human body to "live it needs a few things... food, sleep, and exercise... before the rise of the great Western Civilization that we find ourselves enjoying, Human's (and lets face it about 80% of the human beings still inhabiting this planet) would actually work at foraging to fulfill need no. 1... hunting, gathering, preparation, all took physical labour.... today...we trade our labour for goods and services that do all that work for us. Leaving us to "enjoy" our leisure time... some.. like the OP... believe that time is well spent sitting around allowing their body to dystrophy, allowing their mind to slowly die from the lack of oxygen it needs to remain alert and vital...while others have always lead active healthy lives... and yet others still.. have re-awakend themselves to the joys and benefits of leading an active life... THE SECRET??? for those that chose sloth... is that.. once you achieve a level of fitness and vitality... you come to realize that ... all that time spent NOT living your life.. evading your life.. is time that YOU will never get back...

SO.. OP.. the question begs...HOW much of your life are you going to leave on that sofa? HOW much of your life.. is going to waste in dribs and drabs of 1/2 hour increments?

DO... or do not...
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't like working every day, but I need money. I don't like paying $3.00 a gallon for gas, but I want to drive my car, you can find a million reasons to not do a million things. Suck it up and get busy.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    but it's winter time, so even the most dedicated can be pushed indoors, so i see what you mean. just know that 30-45 minutes of indoor cycling can be worth 60-90 minutes out on the road.

I've found it's the opposite. Indoors, you can turn the resistance down and cheat on a spin bike. On the road, if the road goes uphill, you're going uphill, no way around that.

Then again, there are no red lights in a spinning class, so...

outdoors, if the road goes uphill, you can get off and walk, or just avoid the hill...

you can cheat yourself in a million ways in any kind of workout.

Or live in a city where there are no hills. :anguished:
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP, you are under 30 years old. I say go for it! The heck with sweating, watch that TV. At your age you can get away with not exercising.

Unfortunately, exercise is like savings. The earlier in life you start exercising and keep it up, the more benefits you get later. At 40 and 50 and beyond, we wish we had started sooner. Fat, weak, and sore from just mowing the lawn or mopping the floor. DAMHIKT.

Post again in a decade or so. Bwahahaha!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    but it's winter time, so even the most dedicated can be pushed indoors, so i see what you mean. just know that 30-45 minutes of indoor cycling can be worth 60-90 minutes out on the road.

I've found it's the opposite. Indoors, you can turn the resistance down and cheat on a spin bike. On the road, if the road goes uphill, you're going uphill, no way around that.

outdoors, if the road goes uphill, you can get off and walk, or just avoid the hill...

yo, that's not funny. don't joke like that.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because cardio is boring... Lift weights. :p

Wheymen. Cardio is the most boring thing you can do. A 10 minute warmup is all I can handle. Find something more fun to do.

Also, seasonal depression really is a thing. Right about now is when I start to get what I call the "duldrums". I can instantly tell when it is starting because my motivation to do anything takes a total nosedive. Might explain your recent turn of events.

I'm not advocating tanning, but I spend about 3-4 minutes in a tanning bed 3 times a week (hardly enough time to get an actual tan), and also use bright light therapy (having your workspace VERY brightly lit with bulbs matching daytime light wavelengths) to trick my body back into summertime mode. Some people (like me) produce WAY too much melatonin in wintertime and it really affects mental health.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I hear people all time that "love working out" and "feel so good when they work out". ok, i believe that you might feel good after because you have all those feel good hormones rushing through your body but like really? I guess i've just been less motivated lately and i don't know why. id been working out since september about 5 days a week, and then 1 and a half weeks ago i just stopped. i haven't worked out in the least in this time, i've been eating worse and i just have no motivation. and whats funny, is now that i stopped working out, i just happened to check what i weighed and of course now i lose 2 pounds. i want to be fit, and i want to be healthy, and i know i should do it but i just would rather sit and watch 2 episodes of my favorite show than do an hour of cardio. bah.
    You "desire" to be fit and healthy. If you really WANTED it, you do what it takes for it to happen whether you like it or not. People don't get fit watching TV or being idle.
    It takes hard work to be fit and healthy and that's why not many people really are today.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you are that bored doing cardio, then you are bored with yourself. It is gloomy and 35 degrees outside, and I would much rather be outside running and listening to music than sitting inside accumulating fat cells.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

No joke. I lived in a very hilly city, moved to this new city - flat. ________________ :( Hills used to keep me fit. Now it's harder to feel that workout when walking like I used to.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    If you are that bored doing cardio, then you are bored with yourself. It is gloomy and 35 degrees outside, and I would much rather be outside running and listening to music than sitting inside accumulating fat cells.

True dat it is snowing here and I am thinking about jump roping outside.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

To be fair, 35 degrees (about 2 degrees) is not the same as minus 25 degrees.

I think the hardest thing about getting into an exercise routine, for people who aren't in one now, is that we're *not* just giving up 'sitting inside accumulating fat cells'. We're all doing stuff with those 24 hours of our day. Sleeping, working, social activities, chores, spending time with family, reading, talking on the phone, and yes, even vegging out in front of the TV serves some sort of purpose in life -- that of needing relaxation or just to be on 'off' for a while.

You simply can't add something without taking something else away. If you want to add 5 hours of exercise to your routine, plus to/from time, you are giving up 5-6 hours of something else in your life. And if you try to pretend that the things you're giving up aren't important, you're less likely to stick with it, because you're being unrealistic. It's like a budget where you spend more than you earn. It catches up to you.

The best advice I've heard is to face it head on. Say "yes, I'm going to go to the gym for an hour today INSTEAD OF going to that storytelling event I was planning to attend". Or "yes, I'm going to wake up and go running this morning INSTEAD OF getting an hour more sleep". That forces you to say you not only want to exercise, but you want to exercise more than you want the thing you're giving up. And it forces you to properly address and, yes, mourn the thing you're giving up.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Heh. I live in Montreal. It's a city built entirely on hills. And going uphill on our heavy, clunky Bixi (bikeshare) bikes is no joke. Good exercise, though.
  • LACnessMonster
    LACnessMonster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So. Erhm. Don't? It's not compulsory.
  • Justloselb
    Options
    Listen to your favorite music for an hour or two and don't stop moving. Dance like no one is watching.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

To be fair, 35 degrees (about 2 degrees) is not the same as minus 25 degrees.

No doubt - I run with my phone and a HRM, so if it is raining significantly I run the treadmill. Also, if the streets are in bad shape, I run inside to avoid busting my a**.

A lot of people seem to despise treadmill running, but honestly, how is it anymore boring to watch TV or listen to music on a treadmill than sitting on the couch?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy, and also vary what you do. When I'm in the gym I enjoy working out with my iPod on loud! And I love doing loads of different classes....kettlebells, spin, aerobics, step, fitball, Zumba....
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Burnout...I got diet/exercise burn out big time after about 6 months of religiously going to the gym 5 days a week. I took off 2 weeks and ate maintenance (which means I ate mostly whatever I felt like it.) After 2 weeks I felt sluggish and stressed out. I started going back to the gym and now I hate it a little less because I know it is making an impact for on my overall well-being. This is a marathon, not a race. If you need a week off, take it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    do an hour of cardio

What would be the point of doing this anyways? Doing an hour of cardio makes you really good at... doing an hour of cardio.

If you want to strengthen your heart and lungs, do HIIT. If you want to strengthen the rest of you, lift weights.
    There's no health reason to grind through the tedium of long, slow cardio.