calories in vs calories out question.

Options
Hi myfitnesspal! I have a question? I study nutrition because after I graduate from high school this year i'm going off to school to be a nutritionist. But any way when i started losing weight and I has counting calories and working out. Also I forgot to mention a nutritionist gave me a book to study and learn how we actually get fat and lose fat and build muscle,etc you know stuff like that. So while I was losing weight I was using this at the same time and yes it came in handy! :smiley: also I learned alot to which im confident of. Ok so here's is what i'm here for you know the basic to weight loss is eating less calories then you expend and a calorie is a calorie right? The book im studying with also says the same. But here is my question is calories in vs calories out really how we lose weight??? Because now im hearing that is just a myth and theory and a calorie is not a calorie if you eat junk food in a deficit you will still get fat. But if its healthy food you wont. Sounds crazy right??? Yes I know! But now I just keep hearing people say low carb high fat moderate protein is the way to go. People say thats the only way to actually lose fat not a 500 calorie deficit or low calorie diet because people claim that only mess up our hormones and slow our fat loss down. But my fellow associates I have one thing to say. Doesnt a diet just help you create a deficit or any other gimmick out there??? Like for instance dont you lose fat on a low carb because you enter ketosis and your likely less to eat into a surplus because your appetite will be decreased due to lack of carbs??? Same with high carb diet dont you lose fat quick on that because leptin remains high thus burning more fat when doing cardio and building more muscle also letting your body know that your not in starvation due to a lack of carbs??? Also im not here to criticize low carb people. I mean thats a great diet because you burn alot of fat. But when you low carb people say counting calories mess up our hormones I have something to say about that. Low carb actually messes up your hormones to. I mean my hormones are messed up right now from low carb my fat loss slowed. Im constantly craving and no matter what I do cheat,refeed,etc anything to fix leptin and my hormone imbalance. nothing seems to work. My body wont lose or gain weight anymore and I dont know whats up with that. Also I still got body fat to lose even though my body still thinks im starving it and no matter what I do I cant seem to build muscle anymore. Keep up with my stamina in cardio anymore. To be honest im actually losing strength and cardio stamina. I use to can do 60 push ups now I can only do 20. I use to be able to jump rope for more than 30 minutes now I can only jump rope for 10 minutes at least so I dont know whats wrong with me and my body fat is not leaving and I still got belly fat to lose. But any way back to the topic I guess my question is how do we actually lose fat if its not calories or food quality or a deficit??? Because im really starting to get confused. Also people say diet drinks make you fat now even in a deficit. But in this nutrition handbook it doesnt say nothing like that it just says certain diets or gimmicks just help people remain in a deficit better thus leading to fat loss. But now when I look all over the net people say its not true calories is not the key to fat loss or deficit its just low carb is the key but again you already know why low carb leads to fat loss appetite suppress=deficit ketosis =burn stored fat as fuel. So like really is it really calories that count or food quality also do you really get fat eating before bed even while in deficit? Because people also says if you eat carbs even in a deficit whether simple or complex you still will gain fat. So whats the actual trick to fat loss? Am I studying right? Is the handbook wrong? please some one tell me because im getting confused. I want to make sure I know what im talking about when I go off to be a nutritionist. Again is calories in vs calories out the key to fat loss or low carb only? One last thing and if its really not calories in vs calories out and just low carb... doesnt a carb consist of 4 calories doesnt protein consist of 4 calories fats 9 calories so each of these macros nutrients form up calories in foods. So would it really be about calories???

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Cliffs?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    paragraphs?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Find another vocation
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Paragraphs?

TL/DR -

if you are eating a calorie deficit you will lose weight. foods don't matter for that equation

If you meet your macro and micro nutrients you will be in better health than if you don't, so yes eating nutrient dense foods make sense, but nothing wrong with less nutrient dense foods if you've already met your nutrient needs for the day.

Treat Protein and Fat as minimums, and fill with carbs...as much or little as you want

Resistance training to help maintain lean body mass - lift heavy, heavy is relative to each individual.

Meal time is a preferance.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My takeaway from your paragraph is that all of the weight loss theories are making you confused about what really results in weight and/or fat loss. My simple answer is that yes, you must have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight (which results in fat loss also). However, there are a large array of physiological (and psychological) factors that can affect a person's ability to achieve calorie deficit. All the other stuff that you are hearing -- theories about diet soda, low carb/ high fat, and on and on, are, IMO, just ideas that people are putting out there about what might make it harder or easier for a person to create a calorie deficit. Most of it is still hotly debated because there are no concrete answers in the research right now.

For an example, I think that it is very likely that hormones can affect a person's ability to achieve a calorie deficit. IMO, it is mostly due to hormones making it harder for a person to be disciplined in their eating so they end up eating more food than they realize and wipe out their deficit accidentally. Does eating low carb or high carb or high protein or drinking diet soda or whatever affect hormones and make people do this? I don't know and I don't think anyone else really does right now either. I suspect the answer is that what each person does/ does not consume affects them a little differently than other people, so each person needs to figure out what works well for them to personally achieve a calorie deficit.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cliff notes - OP wants to know if calories in vs calories out is a myth ..
    -
    OP - here is your answer no it is not. Unless of course you believe that math and physics are a myth too ..

eat more than you burn = gain weight
    eat less than you burn = lose weight..

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi myfitnesspal! I have a question? I study nutrition because after I graduate from high school this year i'm going off to school to be a nutritionist. But any way when i started losing weight and I has counting calories and working out. Also I forgot to mention a nutritionist gave me a book to study and learn how we actually get fat and lose fat and build muscle,etc you know stuff like that. So while I was losing weight I was using this at the same time and yes it came in handy! :smiley: also I learned alot to which im confident of. Ok so here's is what i'm here for you know the basic to weight loss is eating less calories then you expend and a calorie is a calorie right? The book im studying with also says the same. But here is my question is calories in vs calories out really how we lose weight??? Because now im hearing that is just a myth and theory and a calorie is not a calorie if you eat junk food in a deficit you will still get fat. But if its healthy food you wont. Sounds crazy right??? Yes I know! But now I just keep hearing people say low carb high fat moderate protein is the way to go. People say thats the only way to actually lose fat not a 500 calorie deficit or low calorie diet because people claim that only mess up our hormones and slow our fat loss down. But my fellow associates I have one thing to say. Doesnt a diet just help you create a deficit or any other gimmick out there??? Like for instance dont you lose fat on a low carb because you enter ketosis and your likely less to eat into a surplus because your appetite will be decreased due to lack of carbs??? Same with high carb diet dont you lose fat quick on that because leptin remains high thus burning more fat when doing cardio and building more muscle also letting your body know that your not in starvation due to a lack of carbs??? Also im not here to criticize low carb people. I mean thats a great diet because you burn alot of fat. But when you low carb people say counting calories mess up our hormones I have something to say about that. Low carb actually messes up your hormones to. I mean my hormones are messed up right now from low carb my fat loss slowed. Im constantly craving and no matter what I do cheat,refeed,etc anything to fix leptin and my hormone imbalance. nothing seems to work. My body wont lose or gain weight anymore and I dont know whats up with that. Also I still got body fat to lose even though my body still thinks im starving it and no matter what I do I cant seem to build muscle anymore. Keep up with my stamina in cardio anymore. To be honest im actually losing strength and cardio stamina. I use to can do 60 push ups now I can only do 20. I use to be able to jump rope for more than 30 minutes now I can only jump rope for 10 minutes at least so I dont know whats wrong with me and my body fat is not leaving and I still got belly fat to lose. But any way back to the topic I guess my question is how do we actually lose fat if its not calories or food quality or a deficit??? Because im really starting to get confused. Also people say diet drinks make you fat now even in a deficit. But in this nutrition handbook it doesnt say nothing like that it just says certain diets or gimmicks just help people remain in a deficit better thus leading to fat loss. But now when I look all over the net people say its not true calories is not the key to fat loss or deficit its just low carb is the key but again you already know why low carb leads to fat loss appetite suppress=deficit ketosis =burn stored fat as fuel. So like really is it really calories that count or food quality also do you really get fat eating before bed even while in deficit? Because people also says if you eat carbs even in a deficit whether simple or complex you still will gain fat. So whats the actual trick to fat loss? Am I studying right? Is the handbook wrong? please some one tell me because im getting confused. I want to make sure I know what im talking about when I go off to be a nutritionist. Again is calories in vs calories out the key to fat loss or low carb only? One last thing and if its really not calories in vs calories out and just low carb... doesnt a carb consist of 4 calories doesnt protein consist of 4 calories fats 9 calories so each of these macros nutrients form up calories in foods. So would it really be about calories???

Taylorblade this is one awesome post and I think you will be very successful if you stay on this track looking for these hard answers that few know today but some major research is under way based on past questions raised. So many are afraid to ask questions because they do not want to risk learning they are dead wrong.

I saw the comment about paragraphs and as an old man that once bothered me but I have come to realize formatting and spelling even a the college level is taken more lightly than 50 years ago.

Remember some hide out on forums like this to try and impress those who are new and sadly to hurt some but I sure that you are smarter than that.

Again you ask a lot of good questions. Start googling and you will find real research trying to find answers to your questions. Web forums serve a function but not so good at teaching facts you are looking for. Hang in there. It will not be easy because you will keep running into close minds.

When you get into school learn the material that your are presented VERY WELL even if you know it is dated or even a false concept. DO NOT fight the educational system. You will most likely have to learn the current research on your own. Even if you knew all the facts today in ten years from now you would be dumber than a rock on the subject. :)

You can see by some of the remarks to your post what I am talking about.

Hang in there and keep asking your questions. Just right them down and ask Goggle. :) Your BS detector will get better month by month. A lot of people make a ton of money selling junk science and gimmicks and those will be VERY defensive with you.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    wamydia wrote: »
    My takeaway from your paragraph is that all of the weight loss theories are making you confused about what really results in weight and/or fat loss. My simple answer is that yes, you must have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight (which results in fat loss also). However, there are a large array of physiological (and psychological) factors that can affect a person's ability to achieve calorie deficit. All the other stuff that you are hearing -- theories about diet soda, low carb/ high fat, and on and on, are, IMO, just ideas that people are putting out there about what might make it harder or easier for a person to create a calorie deficit. Most of it is still hotly debated because there are no concrete answers in the research right now.

For an example, I think that it is very likely that hormones can affect a person's ability to achieve a calorie deficit. IMO, it is mostly due to hormones making it harder for a person to be disciplined in their eating so they end up eating more food than they realize and wipe out their deficit accidentally. Does eating low carb or high carb or high protein or drinking diet soda or whatever affect hormones and make people do this? I don't know and I don't think anyone else really does right now either. I suspect the answer is that what each person does/ does not consume affects them a little differently than other people, so each person needs to figure out what works well for them to personally achieve a calorie deficit.

Thanks for that well written post.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Great post, and I agree! Further, I also have a theory that our gut flora have a great deal more to do with hormonal regulation, immunity, weight control, and possibly even mood, than we previously could have imagined.

But, as regards the OP, all of those conflicting theories and methods can be very confusing, and the jury is still out on most of it. What we do know for absolute certain is that calorie deficits = weight loss. As to the best way of going about maintaining that deficit...that's where all those theories and plans come in.

Since science has not yet directed us to one perfect plan to maintain a deficit, the best idea is to experiment with which plan is easiest and most sustainable for you. If you find that it's easier and you're happier with eating all things in moderation, do that. If you find that it's easier and you're happier with cutting out starchy carbs, or limiting or eliminating desserts, or eating whole foods, then do that.

Just realize that your favorite way of maintaining a deficit might be torture for someone else (I'm looking at YOU, keto!) and try to make sure that whatever plan you choose isn't too loopy (I'm looking at YOU, Freelee and your bananas!) and has some basis in good nutrition.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i think calories in/calories out is correct.

i also think it's not that simple, because people assume when they work out doing X for Y minutes, they burn Z calories because MFP says so. in truth i believe there are other factors involved. if for example you eat something with a high glycemic index, you will get a spike in sugar followed by a spike of insulin, which will put as much sugar as possible into the liver and muscles in the form of glycogen. once those storage areas are full, insulin shuttles the excess sugar into fat cells so that the body can achieve a normal blood sugar level. so, having eaten something with a high glycemic index, your body has just stored, not burned, that sugar (and then your blood sugar will drop and you will either be hungry or low energy, which will lead you to repeat the process). on the other hand if you ate a meal with a low glycemic index, the rise in blood sugar will be slower and won't need to be frantically shuttled out of the bloodstream to avoid hyperglycemia. it can stay in the bloodstream and be burned off over time. you may have eaten 100 calories of hot chocolate in the first instance and 100 calories of stir fried vegetables in the second. in my estimation, the body will be more likely to build/hang on to fat in the first instance, and more likely to burn it off in the second instance despite being the same caloric value.

when calories in/calories out isn't working for you, i'd say tweak your diet toward healthier foods and see if it improves.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options

This explanation is perfect. Thank you for this!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Also people say diet drinks make you fat now even in a deficit.

Anybody who tells you that is an idiot. Disregard everything they say.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Like for instance dont you lose fat on a low carb because you enter ketosis and your likely less to eat into a surplus because your appetite will be decreased due to lack of carbs???

Low Carb Land is full of people who gain weight by caloric surplus because they have the completely mistaken notion that ketosis is a Harry Potter spell that prevents over-eating.

Which it's not.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your studies. In high school you are getting introduced to the topic. When you get to college, you will be able to build upon that knowledge.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Like for instance dont you lose fat on a low carb because you enter ketosis and your likely less to eat into a surplus because your appetite will be decreased due to lack of carbs???

Low Carb Land is full of people who gain weight by caloric surplus because they have the completely mistaken notion that ketosis is a Harry Potter spell that prevents over-eating.

Which it's not.

OD on caffeine. You look really wired in your photo. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I follow the peer reviewed clinical study data. I implement it with clients. And here's what I've found: a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss.
    I have people lose weight whether they ate "clean", while having a lot of junk food, or a moderation of both. If they don't exceed the calorie restrict we set and agree on, they lose weight regardless of which way they choose to do it. And that's what science has shown too.
    As a professional in the business and not just experiencing my own ways of eating, but able to see several others who have totally different lifestyles than my own and from each other, if they are able to all get the same results from CICO, then it's not a myth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Great post, and I agree! Further, I also have a theory that our gut flora have a great deal more to do with hormonal regulation, immunity, weight control, and possibly even mood, than we previously could have imagined.

But, as regards the OP, all of those conflicting theories and methods can be very confusing, and the jury is still out on most of it. What we do know for absolute certain is that calorie deficits = weight loss. As to the best way of going about maintaining that deficit...that's where all those theories and plans come in.

Since science has not yet directed us to one perfect plan to maintain a deficit, the best idea is to experiment with which plan is easiest and most sustainable for you. If you find that it's easier and you're happier with eating all things in moderation, do that. If you find that it's easier and you're happier with cutting out starchy carbs, or limiting or eliminating desserts, or eating whole foods, then do that.

Just realize that your favorite way of maintaining a deficit might be torture for someone else (I'm looking at YOU, keto!) and try to make sure that whatever plan you choose isn't too loopy (I'm looking at YOU, Freelee and your bananas!) and has some basis in good nutrition.

Hahaha! Freelee and Durian Rider! My favorite kooky vegans!

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Which it's not.

You look like coconut oil is half your daily calories.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Which it's not.

No 80%.

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Which it's not.

No 80%.

You said earlier that you eat 720 calories of coconut oil. If coconut oil was 80% of your diet you would only be eating 900 calories a day.

BS!