Healthy sugar free dessert

Options
what dessert can you make that your guests will love that's healthy & you wont feel so bad eating

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Why take sugar out of dessert? Thats no fun!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sugar free or no sugar added?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why feel bad eating anything? If cooking for guests make something delicious don't worry about sugar free or whatever, the focus should be on giving them something they will enjoy, they aren't on a diet
  • merazt2013
    Options
    Well im attempting to get on this new health kick, so I guess not necessarily sugar free...maybe just healthier?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    merazt2013 wrote: »
    Well im attempting to get on this new health kick, so I guess not necessarily sugar free...maybe just healthier?

Wouldn't it be good if you knew what health kick you trying to be on?

You're limiting sugar because....

(I say this as someone who DOES limit added sugars).

I'm not trying to be snarky, just wondering what your goals are.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Fruit pies. Use half wholemeal flour for the crust. Instead of putting on a top crust, sprinkle with toasted oats and nuts. Apple pie with cranberries, bottom crust only, topped with toasted walnuts and oats and just a smidge of brown sugar is really delicious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Why feel bad eating anything? If cooking for guests make something delicious don't worry about sugar free or whatever, the focus should be on giving them something they will enjoy, they aren't on a diet

How do you know they are not on a diet, or diabetic? What is wrong with wanting to make something delicious that is also not a big sugar bomb?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Make a dessert and let your guests choose their own portion size.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Do the guests you are cooking for have the same goals or are they looking forward to a good dessert.

I'm going to assume you are talking about Thanksgiving, it's a holiday make something you enjoy making that you are good at making and enjoy with friends and family.

If it's just desserts in general they can be included in an overall well balanced diet, this is when learning moderation comes into play.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad add the bananas before serving so they don't go black. Squeeze a couple of oranges instead of adding sugar to the mix. You can also add rose water to it but it's an acquired taste
  • fearlessleader104
    Options
    Oh and pomegranates too
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Meringues! Can be vanilla, chocolate, or otherwise flavored. Meringues do contain real sugar but they are very low cal.
  • fearlessleader104
    Options
    Tons of sugar in that
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

How do you know they are not on a diet, or diabetic? What is wrong with wanting to make something delicious that is also not a big sugar bomb?

Let's see my husband is diabetic he still enjoys all his favorite desserts, he just manages his portions.

Also when I'm preparing food for others I do not worry about calories or diet, I prepare good food that they can decide their own portion sizes. I do not take my want to lose weight or whatever else impact what I serve to people coming over as my guests.

I also did not say sugar bomb was required, I said make something you do well and don't force your dieting on other people.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie isn't too high in calories and has nutritional benefit. You could also make pumpkin custard...Just make the pie filling and bake in ramekin dishes with no crust.
  • merazt2013
    Options

Wouldn't it be good if you knew what health kick you trying to be on?

You're limiting sugar because....

(I say this as someone who DOES limit added sugars).

I'm not trying to be snarky, just wondering what your goals are.

I didn't think you were snarky, actually the reason why I was saying no sugar was because I really want to lose weight & I thought by cutting or limiting sugar, candy & pop it might help with my work outs?

...# 2 some of my family are diabetic so I was hoping I could find a medium so they could eat something yummy & yet I could enjoy it as well. You see, from being a CNA to now a desk job, my healthy habits are slacking & weight is snuck up on me outa no where
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am making a second batch of a Weight Watchers treat that came out just before Halloween. Take a brownies mix and replace all but one tablespoon of the called-for oil with 1/2 cup applesauce. Use egg white up to four egg's worth, and whip it to peaks before folding it in. Add chopped walnuts if you like. I use mini muffin tins and mini muffin papers. Baking time is shortened considerably, so keep an eye on them. I think the last time I did this recipe it made 40. Top each finished muffin with light dream whip and seasonal sprinkles. The Halloween recipe topped off each muffin with a Candy Corn.

My support group last night brainstormed a fun Christmas treat; grinch kabobs.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    fruit has a lot of sugar, actually. I don't see how you can make any dessert that isn't going to be sweet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fondue?
  • merazt2013
    Options
    well but its a healthy sugar, right.... desserts are sweet but I think can be healthier too