Healthy sugar free dessert

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    merazt2013 wrote: »
    Well im attempting to get on this new health kick, so I guess not necessarily sugar free...maybe just healthier?

Wouldn't it be good if you knew what health kick you trying to be on?

You're limiting sugar because....

(I say this as someone who DOES limit added sugars).

I'm not trying to be snarky, just wondering what your goals are.

I didn't think you were snarky, actually the reason why I was saying no sugar was because I really want to lose weight & I thought by cutting or limiting sugar, candy & pop it might help with my work outs?

...# 2 some of my family are diabetic so I was hoping I could find a medium so they could eat something yummy & yet I could enjoy it as well. You see, from being a CNA to now a desk job, my healthy habits are slacking & weight is snuck up on me outa no where

Limiting candy, sugar and pop will probably help you create a deficit and keep your blood sugar steady, both of which could definitely help you lose weight. Given that you have family members who are diabetic, it's good to be aware of sugars, their various names (there are tons) and what not.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why feel bad eating anything? If cooking for guests make something delicious don't worry about sugar free or whatever, the focus should be on giving them something they will enjoy, they aren't on a diet

How do you know they are not on a diet, or diabetic? What is wrong with wanting to make something delicious that is also not a big sugar bomb?

Let's see my husband is diabetic he still enjoys all his favorite desserts, he just manages his portions.

Also when I'm preparing food for others I do not worry about calories or diet, I prepare good food that they can decide their own portion sizes. I do not take my want to lose weight or whatever else impact what I serve to people coming over as my guests.

I also did not say sugar bomb was required, I said make something you do well and don't force your dieting on other people.

And that is all fine and dandy. But that is you. This lady asked for recipes to fit HER criteria. It's okay if she wants something different than you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Why feel bad eating anything? If cooking for guests make something delicious don't worry about sugar free or whatever, the focus should be on giving them something they will enjoy, they aren't on a diet

How do you know they are not on a diet, or diabetic? What is wrong with wanting to make something delicious that is also not a big sugar bomb?

Let's see my husband is diabetic he still enjoys all his favorite desserts, he just manages his portions.

Also when I'm preparing food for others I do not worry about calories or diet, I prepare good food that they can decide their own portion sizes. I do not take my want to lose weight or whatever else impact what I serve to people coming over as my guests.

I also did not say sugar bomb was required, I said make something you do well and don't force your dieting on other people.

Is he type 2? on meds? overweight?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Let's see, my go to for a sugar free dessert when I'm wanting something after dinner?

Half a chicken breast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't serve anything 'sugar free' to people as dessert, personally, first because some people don't like the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners, second because they can have consequences as well if someone eats too much of it (like spending a lot of time in the restroom).

If you have family that is diabetic, they must be used to skipping dessert of just having a small piece anyway. I mean, dessert will be sweet, that's pretty much the way it is. But personally, I'd make an apple tart... don't put sugar in the crust, use unsweetened applesauce on the bottom, toss some apples with cinnamon and maybe a tiny bit of brown sugar, lay that on top and bake until they are tender. It's low calories and pretty low sugar that way, and pretty good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    well but its a healthy sugar, right.... desserts are sweet but I think can be healthier too

I agree. If cutting calories and carbs are you main goal, I might look for recipes that use an artificial sweetener, either wholely or partially, unless you are opposed to those.

If you just want to "healthy' it up a bit, I'd add fiber, protein and healthy fats. As in nuts and oats. It won't cut the calories, though, in fact it could make them higher since fat is higher in calories than sugars.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

He was overweight, he was on meds, he now controls it by diet alone. He will eat pie, baklava and everything else I have made tomorrow and will just watch his portions.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

And that is all fine and dandy. But that is you. This lady asked for recipes to fit HER criteria. It's okay if she wants something different than you.

She talked about guilt & feeding guests I gave my opinion just as you did.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

He was overweight, he was on meds, he now controls it by diet alone. He will eat pie, baklava and everything else I have made tomorrow and will just watch his portions.
    Well, good luck to him. Hope it all works out.
  • merazt2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone there's a lot of ideas :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks everyone there's a lot of ideas :D

If you want to think way outside the box google black bean brownies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well but its a healthy sugar, right.... desserts are sweet but I think can be healthier too

sugar is sugar, sources does not matter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

sugar is sugar, sources does not matter.

Yet I'd bet an apple and a twinkie aren't created equal. Even if they have roughly the same amount of sugar.
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites is angel food cake/berry trifle. Mix together cool whip and a package of sugar free vanilla pudding, then layer that mixture with chunks of angel food cake and berries (frozen or fresh), until you run out. Try to end with berries on top.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any of these: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/
  • merazt2013
    Options
    One of my favourites is angel food cake/berry trifle. Mix together cool whip and a package of sugar free vanilla pudding, then layer that mixture with chunks of angel food cake and berries (frozen or fresh), until you run out. Try to end with berries on top.

That sounds delicious, a must try!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

Those look reasonable.
  • merazt2013
    Options

Do you have to make the pudding first or do you literally just mix the pudding mix. & any other special instructions? it sounds so easy lol
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make the pudding first. It is super easy and super yummy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Trifles are as screamingly easy as they sound. And they are delicious. Hubby would do backflips for trifle. Make the pudding then fold in the cool whip. How about drizzling a little brandy on the cake?