At what point did you get your rings re-sized?

Options

Replies

• SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thankfully we purchased the lifetime protection plan from Harry Ritchies and includes sizing. I have had mine done twice. Once from an 11 to a 9, then again from a 9 to a 7 1/2. Basically, if I could shake it off it was time to get it done. I did also use the temporary sizer inside the band for a while as well.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    WHOW! I'm just in shock hearing people have to get them resized....my wedding ring is a 5, but hasn't changed how it fits much...guess we all lose it and tone up in different places!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I started noticing my rings were getting loose after about ten pounds. My solution was to buy silver "guard rings" in my correct size -- thin little simple circles like people use for stacking bands. Now, after 44 pounds, my rings swivel wildly but they stay on my fingers.

When I'm finally done and have maintained for a while (no, I don't know when I'll be done or how long "a while" is) I'll have them resized. My wedding ring is from a fancy-schmancy store so I am not about to pay them more than once for a redo!

It would be nice to have lost the weight from my @ss rather than my fingers, but like you said, we all tone up in different places. Is there any way I could just swap my size-four fingers for a size-four behind?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten my rings re-sized and likely won't just because of the design and the way they sit and no matter the weight loss my fingers become little sausages in the summer. I use those little snuggie things.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I got married when I was at my previous lowest adult weight (We have been married for 39 years). I was unable to wear my rings for years, until I had been on MFP and had lost over 100 pounds. I have been at maintenance for over a year now, and have been wearing my rings again for 2 years. It is one of my happiest NSV's, from losing weight.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recently checked with a jewelers and my ring can't be re-sized any further on account of the way it was made (it's a custom job with a design going all the way around). I ordered the ring at size 8, had it re-sized to 7.5 in time for the wedding (lost 25 pounds by then), and I no longer wear it on my ring finger now that I'm down to 6.5 per the jeweler, six years later.

It frustrates my wife a little that I wear my wedding ring on my left index finger now, as my right ring finger is also too small. Plus side - now that I've been maintaining for a year, I'm getting a new ring while still wearing the old. Win-win!

Mark
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for unlimited resizing care packages :)
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    wrap some thread around them and wear em.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ********Please get them resized. Mine fell off throwing cardboard out at work. I never found them. I basically lost a small car in the pile of cardboard. And that ring could have paid for my divorce and disney trip with my daughter. Just saying...get them resized.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My rings were a size 7.5 when I got married, actually a 1/2 size too big because the wedding band is so wide. By the time we were married a year they were too small and in the jewlery box. 15 years later I started college for the first time and the husabnd had them sized up so I went to school with a wedding ring. :) Now that I'm losing (164 down at this point) and my fingers are back to 7 on the left and 7.5 on the right the rings are back in the jewlery box. Size 10 rings no matter how wide will fall off. I'm not having them sized until I am done losing and have maintained for a while. In the meantime I wear some form of "wedding" like ring because I know it makes the husband happy.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    ********Please get them resized. Mine fell off throwing cardboard out at work. I never found them. I basically lost a small car in the pile of cardboard. And that ring could have paid for my divorce and disney trip with my daughter. Just saying...get them resized.

^^ Yes! If they're really loose, either don't wear them or get them re-sized.

I got my engagement ring sized about 2.5 years after our engagement because it was to the point that the ring could fall off my finger under its own weight if my hand was pointed down. I was only a few pounds above my goal weight when I had it done. It went down almost a full size, which surprised me because I didn't think much fat was in my fingers. Unfortunately my wedding ring is tungsten and cannot be sized. So I've been searching out a new one.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine sized until just before I hit my goal in September. Of course I couldn't wear them as they were too big. Went from a size 8 to a 5. With the cold weather, the size 5s still spin around, but get snug if my sodium is too high. :/
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    this is interesting info! I have always been very sensitive about my "MAN HANDS," as my brother lovingly calls them. They're about a 7.5-8 right now and I would love to shrink my ring finger to a 6.5. Its a really silly goal to have, I know, but I will possibly get engaged in the next two years or so and it would kill me if a beautiful ring my boyfriend spent a ton on looked like it was the end of a sausage casing on my chubbers. I know its a totally arbitrary thing to be bother by but its the kind of thing that would drive me nuts every time I looked down at it. Very glad to hear that many of you lost a ring size or two throughout this process!
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mine has been resized several times, up and down. I waited till I hit my 1 year mark of maintenance before having them resized to what will hopefully be their FINAL size. I wore the ring snuggies for a while, and eventually even those didn't keep them on my fingers. I went from a size 8 to 5.5, could have done a 5, but with normal swelling and such throughout the day, I decided 5.5 would be best.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    started wearing a ring guard around the 150lbs down mark.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to wear my ring for a year. It is now to the point where it simply falls off my finger if I put my hand down at my side. I really want to get it resized, but still want to lose another 30-35 pounds, so it's going to have to continue to wait because I refuse to do it more than once.

On the positive, my husband doesn't mind that I don't wear a ring, but he also lost his a day and a half after our wedding and hasn't had one since, so he can't really legitimately complain about it.
  • shrinkyy
    shrinkyy Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with wearing cheaper rings while your weight's changing or wearing the snuggie things (though I've never used them, do they stay in place? sounds like a good idea though and I kknow people wear them who have metal allergies too)

I'm not in the US but my engagement and wedding ring were bought in the US by my American husband. They are quite small, I think a size five point something if I remember correctly. I gained weight after we got engaged (and before the wedding!!) so I wore them on my pinky finger for a long time. Now after 12kg weight loss, my engagement fits well on my wedding finger but my wedding band is a bit thicker with multiple diamonds so it's a bit of a squeeze on my wedding finger. If I lost enough weight that they were too big on my wedding finger, not sure what I would do because I think it's hard if not impossible to resize rings with diamonds in them. I don't really plan on that though, I was fairly slim (for me) when they fit well. But I have never been slim AND toned/fit so I'm not sure what my fingers would be like!

I think you should wear a ring that fits for now, until you're truly ready to maintain very long term. Because you don't want to be resizing a ring multiple times, especially if it has stones in it

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Same thing happened to me. My ring was platinum (which is very heavy), and way too big . Lost it at work, bagging a customers purchase just before Christmas. Someone had a very happy holiday. Since losing weight, my replacement rings got very loose, and I wasn't about to lose them ( no way in hell my husband would by me another one!). So I got them resized. I had them done a little bit too tight, so there is no chance of losing them

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    How about these until you feel confident enough to get them resized?! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Snuggies-Assorted-Pack-Of/dp/B004U39CC0

I loaded up on these snuggies when my rings were getting too big. They work great!

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had mine resized after I hit goal, to the smallest size that will fit over my arthritic knuckle. They still spin during the winter, but I'm not afraid of losing them anymore!