Soooo hard to eat enough protein!!

Options
Hi guys

I'm trying to splint my diet as 40 carbs, 40 protein, 20 fat but I'm struggling to get more than 25 protein in per day. Today I eat 100g turkey breast, salmon fillet, protein bar and still only achieved 29%.

Everything I eat seems to have almost as much carbs as protein. Salmon to my amazement has a large fat percentage so even thou it's high in protein the carb % drops but the fat % increases.

So even though I'm trying to get a better balance of protein other aspects of the same food continue to prevent the balance to switch sufficiently to suit my requirements

Any advice??

Nick

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have to drink 3 protein shakes a day to get my goal for protein, sometimes like today only two. But its a good way to get to your totals.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How many grams per day is that? You should set your protein goal in grams. A standard recommendation for those losing weight/strength training is 1g per pound of lean body mass.

In a typical day I often eat

Egg white omelet with cheese & sausage for 40g protein
    8 oz chicken breast for 46g protein
    1-2 scoops protein powder for 20-40g protein
    1c greek yogurt for 22g protein

I have an extremely high protein goal (150g), but with a little planning it's not too tough to get it all in.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it is hard to tell.

Personally I keep my focus on keeping the protein up, the carbs in the middle range and just let the fat fill in the difference. I am not currently even tracking fat.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    chicken breast, eggs, milk, protien shakes, any kind of meat etc I find it easy as hell to get enough (all you need is 1 gram per lb lbm)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No, it's not.

Here's a list of high protein foods:

Eggs
    Beef jerky
    Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Ground turkey
    Ground beef
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Deli meat
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Cheese
    Hummus
    Spinach
    Broccoli

I consume eggs, bacon, chicken, ground turkey, salmon, steak, nuts, protein bars, etc. on a regular basis and am easily able to get 80-100 grams per day.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein, you need amino acids .. Eat raw foods and you'll be fine.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat around 110-150g a day. I eat eggs, egg whites, protein powder, chicken, turkey, fish, beef.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    You don't need protein, you need amino acids .. Eat raw foods and you'll be fine.

Wrong. The body needs protein.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

(Psst, amino acids are what make proteins)

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I prefer 40/30/30 ratios personally; maybe they would be easier for you to hit.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Your body isn't going to use over 1.7g per Kg (.75 per pound) for the purposes that protein are used for.

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/2018665/how-many-grams-of-protein-can-the-body-digest-and-use-at-a-time

Hopefully, you are not beating yourself up if you are trying to eat above that.

If you really are short on protein, cheese and milk does it for me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I am well aware. People don't go around saying "I need amino acids." They say "I need protein."
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

So how much of which raw foods does the OP need to get what would be the equivalent benefit of 1g of protein per pound of lean mass?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time with protein and almost never hit my goal. I'm supposed to get 63/day, but am really lucky if I get to 50.

I don't like most protein foods. Throw in that I need to stick with lower fat and it gets harder, as many protein foods bring fat along for the ride. Sodium hitchhikes, too.

Protein is an issue I am wrestling with all the time.
  • shaundai8
    Options
    Hey Nick, I do it by eating 5 meals a day and splitting it up but I do a lot of egg whites, chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef. There are leaner fish; salmon is so good but yes, it has a lot of fat! Other fish like tilapia, cod, and mahi mahi will have a lot of protein without so much fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I'm trying to splint my diet as 40 carbs, 40 protein, 20 fat but I'm struggling to get more than 25 protein in per day. Today I eat 100g turkey breast, salmon fillet, protein bar and still only achieved 29%.

Everything I eat seems to have almost as much carbs as protein. Salmon to my amazement has a large fat percentage so even thou it's high in protein the carb % drops but the fat % increases.

So even though I'm trying to get a better balance of protein other aspects of the same food continue to prevent the balance to switch sufficiently to suit my requirements

Any advice??

Nick
    Nick- why are you eating so low fat? I could be wrong, but it seems to me 40 percent protein is pretty high.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It seems all the great proteins are tied to fat. PB2 (defatted Peanut Butter) sounds great until you find out that all the vitamins are extracted along with the fat. Vitamin A for instance, is found in fat.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I weigh 150 lbs and aim for 150g to 180g of protein per day. I like to keep fat at around 25% of my total calories, but it doesn't really matter. As long as I get my protein and hit my calorie goals, carbs and fats can do what they want.

Also, for the amino acid vs protein debate, we eat protein. Our bodies then break the protein down into amino acids, and then uses those to build our own protein.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to try and eat some kind of lean protein at every meal/snack to spread it out during the day.

The ones I found hardest were breakfast and snacks - so I have oats with fruit and protein powder mixed in or eggs for brekkie and protein bars or eggs even for snacks.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I am well aware. People don't go around saying "I need amino acids." They say "I need protein."

So, because someone calls it "protein" instead of what our body actually uses from the protein I'm wrong? Seem a little sheepish of you.. Just an observation.