Soooo hard to eat enough protein!!

Options
2»

Replies

• EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    YesIAm17 wrote: »
    You don't need protein, you need amino acids .. Eat raw foods and you'll be fine.

So how much of which raw foods does the OP need to get what would be the equivalent benefit of 1g of protein per pound of lean mass?

I, like everyone else, should be eating more raw. I'm not much into macros and fairly new to the idea, but I loved what I've learnt thus far! So, I wouldn't be a real good source to tell you this information. However, a quick Google search is just a click away and this is what I found..

https://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=9
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/315856-animal-protein-vs-vegetable-protein/
    http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

I realize most of this falls on deaf ears, but if you're interested - check it out. I never thought I'd be calling protein a waste of my time either..
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with protein. I'm supposed to be hitting around 88g and am lucky if I get past 65. Unfortunately, because I'm smaller and older, it's hard to get that much protein within my low calorie goals, so unlike bigger folks and males, protein shakes would just add extra calories that I would rather be getting from actual food I eat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Meat, Greek yogurt, quest bars.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be calling protein a waste of my time either..
    Trying to promote a vegan agenda on Thanksgiving is a waste of your time.
  • EmotionalEater84
    Options
    LoL, I'm Canadian. Do I get a mulligan?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Have some tofurkey on our behalf. I hear that it's loaded with amino acids.
  • EmotionalEater84
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Have some tofurkey on our behalf. I hear that it's loaded with amino acids.

Gross. I think faux meat is ridiculous. If I don't eat meat, why eat something that's supposed to taste and look like meat? O.o
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are super-high in protein and low in other calories.

Costco Kirkland Greek Yogurt (0% fat) is made of casein - loaded with protein

shouldn't be hard to get to your totals, and adding whey protein (no more than 1-2 servings a day) is helpful too. I prefer whey first thing in the morning, pre-workout, and then directly afterward. Easy way to get 70g in the first 3 hours of the day.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I have the same issue with protein. I'm supposed to be hitting around 88g and am lucky if I get past 65. Unfortunately, because I'm smaller and older, it's hard to get that much protein within my low calorie goals, so unlike bigger folks and males, protein shakes would just add extra calories that I would rather be getting from actual food I eat.

Try egg whites. They give you a pretty good protein bang for your buck. One cup of egg whites has 26g of protein and 117 calories. Most of the time I use a whole egg or two and Egg Beaters mixed together. The whole egg(s) add flavor, fat, and nutrients. Add a little cheese, a couple slices of toast and milk and you've got a high protein meal at less than 500 calories.

Other times when I'm trying to squeeze in as much protein as possible and only have a few hundred calories to play with I'll eat just scrambled Egg Beaters.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    I prefer 40/30/30 ratios personally; maybe they would be easier for you to hit.

this
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid protein bars, by the way. They're generally glorified candy bars and most of them contain soy protein which is inferior to whey, casein, egg and meat.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Learn to love cottage cheese. 1 cup of 2% contains around 26g of protein, 5g of fat, and 8g of carbs. for around 190 calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein, you need amino acids .. Eat raw foods and you'll be fine.
    Protein is broken down to amino acids. Foods aren't broken down in to "amino acid" count by macro nutrient value. They have either carbs, protein, or fat in them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    To the OP, a good whey protein shake can help with supplementing protein if you can't eat enough of it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • EmotionalEater84
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Protein is broken down to amino acids. Foods aren't broken down in to "amino acid" count by macro nutrient value. They have either carbs, protein, or fat in them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hence why I cannot speak to macros .. All I can suggest is eating raw, as done. Thanks for the clarification!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    40's pretty high unless you're an athelete. I aim for 30. 1g/lbw. For me that's 103g.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find it hard, because I have about 180lb of LBM. no way am I eating anything close to 180g of protein. Typical day is probably about 100-120, if I really try I might get to 150ish
    Think Ill have to start going the route of protein drinks, especially when I start hitting the weights.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It seems all the great proteins are tied to fat. PB2 (defatted Peanut Butter) sounds great until you find out that all the vitamins are extracted along with the fat. Vitamin A for instance, is found in fat.

Unless you are getting your protein from legumes (beans, lentils), or protein rich veggies (spinach has 3 grams of protein per 100 grams, with 1.4 "net carbs") where they are tied to carbohydrates. Sigh. Well, at least some of the carbs in lentils are fiber, and fiber doesn't count, right :p

If I just want straight protein, I end up with chicken (I hate seafood) or my whey isolate powder. Eating more protein means eating less carbs (and some of my favorite things) to stay in a deficit (and costing more money.... boo hoo). Oh well.