Oblique Exercise Recommendations?

Options
Hello! I have done a fair amount of research on a good & effective exercise for toning/defining obliques and I'm kinda stuck.

I use to be a gymnast (eons ago) and have obscenely strong abs but the definition is long gone. It is a challenge to find an abs exercise which poses a challenge.

I would like to have some recommendations on exercises targeting the obliques. I have tried hanging leg lifts twists, laying down leg raise twists, and I'm currently doing Russian / Plate oblique twists.

Out of the three the Russian / Plate oblique twists seems to be most challenging thus far but it's time consuming because I have to do 3 sets of 25 reps to really be challenged.

Appreciate any other oblique variations that anyone can recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I use to be a gymnast (eons ago) and have obscenely strong abs but the definition is long gone.

The definition is gone because you have extra body fat covering the muscle, and you might have some loose skin too. Unfortunately exercises don't target either of those. We can't choose where we lose, so oblique exercises aren't the answer. I'd follow the standard fat-loss plan of doing full-body strength training, and of course eating the right number of calories for your activity level. It's best to follow an established strength program, like NROL4L, Stronglifts, Nerd Fitness, a personal trainer's plan, etc.