StrongLifts 5X5 ?!?!

Options
WanderingBomb
WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've been reading up on StrongLifts. The program sounds great and I'd love to try it. However, I only have access to the gym in my apartment building right now and the only free weights there are dumbbells. Is it possible for me do the program with dumbbells instead of barbells? will i still get decent results? or is it just a really terrible idea?

Replies

• onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    Better find dumbbell program.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can make a few variations that will allow dumbells to work.

1. Dumbbell bench press.
    2. Dumbbell shoulder press
    3. Bent over dumbbell rows
    4. Goblet squats

Now replacing deadlifts requires a little extra effort.
    1. Dumbbell high swings
    2. Dumbbell low swings
    3. Dumbbell cleans
    4. Dumbbell snatches

You'll be ahead of the game stabilizer wise, but when it's time to go really heavy, you'll be looking for a barbell eventually.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've tried to compromise the stronglifts programme and it's just not worth the hassle. Do SL if you have the equipment otherwise just look for a programme that uses what you have.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    EricMurano wrote: »
    I've tried to compromise the stronglifts programme and it's just not worth the hassle. Do SL if you have the equipment otherwise just look for a programme that uses what you have.

Completely disagree with this.

5x5 is a simple rep scheme based on high weight with low reps = strength gain.

You can achieved the same (sometimes better) results with dumbbells. As long as you can increase the weight consistently.

Dumbbells build stabilization, and balanced strength you could never get with a barbell in the first place.

My first post adequately replaces 3 of the 5 lifts to a point you could train well over a year on.

You'd have to find a barbell eventually when it comes to the Squat, and deadlift replacements, but they'd work for atleast 6 months for a beginner.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here's a dumbbell routine I've used in hotel gyms when travelling.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As Rippetoe says in his book Starting Strengh, which is similar to SL, if you substitute dumbell exercises for barbell, then "you are not doing the program". You can follow the concept of SL/SS with dumbells but the linear progression (overlaoding) is difficult and the exercises are not the same.