Should wheat be avoided, even if you're not intolerant?

Options

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    nitrospop wrote: »

First one is in vivo mouse research?

2nd link "Article not found"

3rd link "Most people who have food allergies to milk and wheat also have problems with peptides from these foods interacting with their brain and causing an opiate-like effect. However, some individuals may not show a food allergy to milk or wheat, but have the peptide problem and vice versa. Because of this, we recommend the Gluten/Casein Peptides Test be taken in addition to our food allergy testing."

Strong # of references

4th link zero mention of gluten or wheat?

Great support for your claims

I really wonder if people actually read the studies they post or if they just throw a bunch out there in hopes that people will be too overwhelmed at the number of links to actually read them.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Don't feed the supplement troll, chaps.

Aie, funny the first time, we all agreed. Pedestrian at best the second time.

PM me and I'll sell you a great supplement to improve your humor.

which of the 5 humors?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    nitrospop wrote: »

First one is in vivo mouse research?

2nd link "Article not found"

3rd link "Most people who have food allergies to milk and wheat also have problems with peptides from these foods interacting with their brain and causing an opiate-like effect. However, some individuals may not show a food allergy to milk or wheat, but have the peptide problem and vice versa. Because of this, we recommend the Gluten/Casein Peptides Test be taken in addition to our food allergy testing."

Strong # of references

4th link zero mention of gluten or wheat?

Great support for your claims

I really wonder if people actually read the studies they post or if they just throw a bunch out there in hopes that people will be too overwhelmed at the number of links to actually read them.
    Sounds like the Gish Gallop.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I have to avoid white pasta for my sanity. It makes me crave more white pasta all day. No amount will be enough. It's easier to avoid it in the first place than deal with the ridiculous cravings. Whole grain pastas are healthier, anyway, so that works well.

You should talk to your doctor and then decide what works best for you.

I'm eating white carbs all day today.

Wax beans and cauliflower.

Both whiter than George Jefferson's downstairs neighbor (whose name I can't remember, but he was pretty darned white.)

But my pasta is usually sorta yellowish. Maybe it's because I use semolina flour?
  • dbmata
    Options
    No one uses somalia flour, they're in a drought!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes - Gluten is so dangerous and everyone should fear it. If you don't (according to a recent South Park episode) your penis will fall off, and you will instantly die.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No, hon, there's no need for you to do that if you have no medical issues with it. Simply eat whole wheat rather than refined. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid white pasta for my sanity. It makes me crave more white pasta all day. No amount will be enough. It's easier to avoid it in the first place than deal with the ridiculous cravings. Whole grain pastas are healthier, anyway, so that works well.

because the white carb cravings are so much worse than the colored carb cravings….
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm eating white carbs all day today.

Wax beans and cauliflower.

Both whiter than George Jefferson's downstairs neighbor (whose name I can't remember, but he was pretty darned white.)

But my pasta is usually sorta yellowish. Maybe it's because I use semolina flour?
    His name was Mr. Bentley and I thought he lived down the hall, so I learned something new. (Unless you meant Tom Willis, married to Helen.). Why I remember any of that, I don't know.

****EDIT: I googled it and Mr. Bentley did live down the hall. I knew I remembered that. If you left the Jefferson's apartment, you'd turn left. This is something nobody could actually care about, I'm sure. But there it is. ****

I don't care what other people eat. I don't read diaries. I have zero interest, but if eating white carbs all day long makes you happy, I'm happy for you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    you know, back in the 60s, we couldn't have them in the same kitchen.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's so tough to decide who is credible: the people who are built, or a cartoon with no progress and no evidence.

Chicks dig cartoons man. It's the secret to life.

They also dig men who substantiate claims instead of running away so I hear

This is a revelation!!! I just made a claim to a girl, threw her some substantiation and she gave me her number!!!!!!!

Was her name Jenny? 867-5309? I got her number too.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    It's so tough to decide who is credible: the people who are built, or a cartoon with no progress and no evidence.

Chicks dig cartoons man. It's the secret to life.

They also dig men who substantiate claims instead of running away so I hear

This is a revelation!!! I just made a claim to a girl, threw her some substantiation and she gave me her number!!!!!!!

Forget validating our feelings. Just substantiate our claims and you're in!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Careful, validate too much and you'll need a cycle of penicillin.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I refuse to substantiate that substandard subliminal submission!
  • dbmata
    Options
    It would be inappropriate of me to make a short bus joke at this time.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free and therefore avoid wheat. I have yet to notice any super powers, sped up weight loss, or miraculous side effects of any kind.

It's been not quite 2 months and I have cheated 3 times and felt quite bleh 2 of those times, but I was over eating in general those 2 times.

I do not have CD or any kind of gluten intolerance that I know of. I eat gluten free purely by choice and made that choice as a show of solidarity with someone I care greatly for who does have CD.

So for me "personal reasons" not rooted in any science whatsoever. I would however be very happy to see any references to real studies showing actual benefits to being gluten free or avoiding wheat. Anyone? Hello???????
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    I'm unsure as to how true this is? Is wheat something that should be avoided?

It's bull****.

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok first I think everyone needs moderation in their diet, however wheat and whole grains are getting a bad rap. If you are highly intolerant of wheat products then by all means restrict them, I myself believe sugar is more the bad stuff instead of wheat and whole grains, I do agree with what several people are writing here, there is research that supports avoiding gluten due to inflammation in your gut, enough said on that. As with anything, research it, perhaps limit it for a week or so and see if there's a big difference in how you feel. If you feel better being gluten free then maybe you have found it needs to be limited in your diet.