Two strength training questions...

Options
Okay so 2 questions. When doing a lot of reps for strength training, does it matter if you do the sets close to each other or farther out? For example is it better to do all the sets in an hour with little rest time, or would it hinder progress if you do each set an hour apart?

Second, is there anything that can be done to recover DOMS faster except lots of stretching?

Oh and also ignore my ghost profile... I'm still here not deactivated =D

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you are asking for question one.

Question two lift weights more will decrease DOMS.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    For question number 1: It depends on your program. Follow the program as it is written, because rest period time has been pre-determined and in general, optimized.

Using the afflicted muscles will cause DOMS to piss off early.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are asking for question one.

Question two lift weights more will decrease DOMS.

Okay sorry I'll try to state it clearer. (English is my second language)

I was asking if doing sets of exercises further apart (like an hour or two between each set), will hinder progress or make a difference than if you were doing all the sets in say an hour's time with only a few seconds rest time.

So does it have any benefit if you have minimal rest time inbetween sets?
    Or does it have any negative effect if you have a longer rest time between sets?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Depends on the program.

What program are you following?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    For question number 1: It depends on your program. Follow the program as it is written, because rest period time has been pre-determined and in general, optimized.

Hi I don't have a set program. But I got a list of exercises I can do for all the muscles from my gym a long time ago. When I was still attending gym... So I'm just doing all of them. It's not a set program so all it specifies is the amount of reps and sets for each exercise.

The reason I'm asking is because I can't complete all the sets in a short time. I'm still a bit weak but I can complete them if I have an hour or so between each set.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    Depends on the program.

OP it sounds like you made up your own program. I am not sure why you would do one set of an exercise then wait a hour. What are your goals?

• yopeeps025
    Options

Hi I don't have a set program. But I got a list of exercises I can do for all the muscles from my gym a long time ago. When I was still attending gym... So I'm just doing all of them. It's not a set program so all it specifies is the amount of reps and sets for each exercise.

The reason I'm asking is because I can't complete all the sets in a short time. I'm still a bit weak but I can complete them if I have an hour or so between each set.

If you cannot complete all sets then you keep going until you can then increase the weight. BTW

what exercises? Sets? Reps? weight are you using as of now?
  • dbmata
    Options

I'd figure out your goals, and find a program that will help you fulfill those goals.

Doing a set and waiting an hour will do something for you, I don't know what... there may be a mild benefit, but doubtful.

Intensity is a factor in training, no intensity, no point.

• jeffreytsparks842
    Options
    As a general rule:

When lifting to increase strength, the point is to push the specific muscle or muscle group to the point of failure (i.e. you can't do another rep). It is more efficient to do this by only resting a short time (e.g. a minute or two) between sets. Also, if you can do more than 10-12 repetitions per set, you aren't lifting enough weight. You are building endurance there, not strength/lifting power. If you can't do at least 6-7 reps in a set, you are lifting too much weight. The exception to this is, of course, the last set (usually the 3rd), when you may be unable to complete the full set because the muscles are "done."

For DOMS, the best solution I've found is time, gentle stretching, and drink lots of water.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Depends on the program.

OP it sounds like you made up your own program. I am not sure why you would do one set of an exercise then wait a hour. What are your goals?

Just firming up. Yeah kind of. But not completely. The guy at the gym gave me a sheet of paper with a few different bodyweight exercises that target each muscle group. With a number of reps and sets for each one.

Where I made it my own is basically with the rest between sets and then each day I exercise a different muscle group.

But if I try to do all the sets and reps of a specific exercise in a short time (rest of a minute or so) then I fail and cannot complete the sets. Hence me wanting to create a longer rest period so my muscles kind of "have a chance to actually calm down again". And that way I can complete them. Not necessarily an hour between but longer than the usual minute or so.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Depends on the program.

Just firming up. Yeah kind of. But not completely. The guy at the gym gave me a sheet of paper with a few different bodyweight exercises that target each muscle group. With a number of reps and sets for each one.

Where I made it my own is basically with the rest between sets and then each day I exercise a different muscle group.

But if I try to do all the sets and reps of a specific exercise in a short time (rest of a minute or so) then I fail and cannot complete the sets. Hence me wanting to create a longer rest period so my muscles kind of "have a chance to actually calm down again". And that way I can complete them. Not necessarily an hour between but longer than the usual minute or so.

Well it is not unheard of to have 3-5 minutes rest in between each set. I do 60 seconds for strength training and 45 secs for muscular endurance. That is me though I like to train quick.

• dbmata
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises? Those do not deserve the respect of long wait times. You can hit those as a high frequency training program, and be fine.

Now, if you were lifting a heavy barbell, or dumb bell movement and very near your hypothetical or real maximum movable weight, then a rest period of up to 5 minutes would make sense... but beyond that, or less... no point.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dbmata
    Options
    As a general rule:
    lol. maybe for you.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    As a general rule:
    lol. maybe for you.

I was about to comment that you do not need to go to failure to get stronger. Actually the guy who made the 5/3/1 program says that.

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises? Those do not deserve the respect of long wait times. You can hit those as a high frequency training program, and be fine.

Now, if you were lifting a heavy barbell, or dumb bell movement and very near your hypothetical or real maximum movable weight, then a rest period of up to 5 minutes would make sense... but beyond that, or less... no point.

Well then. Thanks for the info. If lifting heavy is the only way to firm up then I'd rather be skinnyfat. :) thanks. Not gonna waste my time any longer.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I used to break up my sets a lot primarily because I was trying to squeeze in lifting (dumbbells) between cooking, tending to the kids, housework etc and I always got interrupted. I definitely built muscle, but I didn't drop significant bodyweight until I started doing all my sets with very little rest in between. Does that help?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Well then. Thanks for the info. If lifting heavy is the only way to firm up then I'd rather be skinnyfat. :) thanks. Not gonna waste my time any longer.

Interesting
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Sorry but my preferred exercise is many forms of cardio. Including cycling, walking and tennis. I actually despise strength training. So if these are not going to help in any way. Then I won't bother anymore.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Edit: oh, English is your second language so I think there is a communication issue going on here...I misread your most recent post ignore this.