Two strength training questions...

Options

Replies

• Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dafuq

Edit: oh, English is your second language so I think there is a communication issue going on here...

Okayyyy.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I thought you said that people's suggestions and input wasn't going to help. Then I clicked and saw your profile was inactive. :p
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Bodyweight exercises? Those do not deserve the respect of long wait times. You can hit those as a high frequency training program, and be fine.

Now, if you were lifting a heavy barbell, or dumb bell movement and very near your hypothetical or real maximum movable weight, then a rest period of up to 5 minutes would make sense... but beyond that, or less... no point.

Well then. Thanks for the info. If lifting heavy is the only way to firm up then I'd rather be skinnyfat. :) thanks. Not gonna waste my time any longer.

lulz. That's not what was said, but go for it. You have a plan, and an articulated goal. That's a lot more than most people.

Good luck on your quest to become skinnyfat!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sorry but my preferred exercise is many forms of cardio. Including cycling, walking and tennis. I actually despise strength training. So if these are not going to help in any way. Then I won't bother anymore.

Strength makes you better at all those things. Unless of course my tennis coach in high school was making me strength train just because I was a lippy kid.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises? Those do not deserve the respect of long wait times. You can hit those as a high frequency training program, and be fine.

Now, if you were lifting a heavy barbell, or dumb bell movement and very near your hypothetical or real maximum movable weight, then a rest period of up to 5 minutes would make sense... but beyond that, or less... no point.

Well then. Thanks for the info. If lifting heavy is the only way to firm up then I'd rather be skinnyfat. :) thanks. Not gonna waste my time any longer.

lulz. That's not what was said, but go for it. You have a plan, and an articulated goal. That's a lot more than most people.

Good luck on your quest to become skinnyfat!

Thats an easy goal to do. Lots and lots of cardio to burn muscle as energy. Also combo with a calorie deficit.

• uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Wait no, I didn't misread it? You actually want to be fat?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Lolz. :laugh:
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Okay well thanks for the replies anyway. I was going to put in an effort with bw exercises. Push through it but yeah no point.

I know this is confusing right now but I'd rather do exercise I love and enjoy than punish myself with something I hate. Es specially if any effect will be minimal. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change. And I know I won't stick with strength.

I was expecting it. Because everywhere on mfp people preach lifting high and low. If it works for you and you enjoy it, great. I don't.

But thank you all for your input regardless. :smile:
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Glad I could amuse you all :smiley:
  • dbmata
    Options
    If a blazing serve, quicker shuttle run times, and being able to smash your opponent aren't important, then yeah, definitely don't sweat it. There's a lot of different type of players, strength, technique, and then the mix of strength and technique, like the williams' sisters.

I've also seen people play tennis like it's badminton, so... do what makes you happy.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Sorry but my preferred exercise is many forms of cardio. Including cycling, walking and tennis. I actually despise strength training. So if these are not going to help in any way. Then I won't bother anymore.

Strength makes you better at all those things. Unless of course my tennis coach in high school was making me strength train just because I was a lippy kid.

Well I never strength trained while playing tennis. Then again, I never had a coach. I just play for fun. I don't want sports to be a chore you know.

Also it's not a goal I already am skinnyfat lol. But well as you (and I) can see, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it did. :w
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Okay well thanks for the replies anyway. I was going to put in an effort with bw exercises. Push through it but yeah no point.

I know this is confusing right now but I'd rather do exercise I love and enjoy than punish myself with something I hate. Es specially if any effect will be minimal. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change. And I know I won't stick with strength.

I was expecting it. Because everywhere on mfp people preach lifting high and low. If it works for you and you enjoy it, great. I don't.

But thank you all for your input regardless. :smile:

You can improve with body weight exercise you will just have to find ways to make the exercised harder as you get stronger. check out the programs Convict conditioning, and you are your own gym. with rest time I would rest anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, if you need more than 3 mins, maybe lower your reps in the earlier sets until you can to the full routine, then increase reps at that time.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Do you despite lifting because you are scared of something new? Tell us what you feel about it other than, "Meh, not my thing."
  • dbmata
    Options

Well I never strength trained while playing tennis. Then again, I never had a coach. I just play for fun. I don't want sports to be a chore you know.

Also it's not a goal I already am skinnyfat lol. But well as you (and I) can see, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it did. :w
    rock out then.

I always liked technique players, because my style was brute force. I'd usually do well with them.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Do you despite lifting because you are scared of something new? Tell us what you feel about it other than, "Meh, not my thing."

It's not something new. I tried it and hated it. So yes. It really just is not my thing. Even these bodyweight exercises are a chore.

As I said, I don't want sport to be a chore. It should be fun in order for me to stick with it. I've been walking, cycling and playing tennis for 2 years. And I still love it. In fact my whole day sucks when I DONT do it.

With strength its the other way around. I have to make myself do it and I don't look forward to it. I'm not excited about it. It's not fun. And to top it all off it makes everything hurt. I've never stuck with it for more than a few months.

I just hate it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If that's how you're going to think about it, yeah, you're going to hate it.

I do the strength training as a means to get better at that which I like to do. Cycling, swimming. It also did a lot for my tennis playing, shooting, gardening, and decorating my house.

*shrug* up to you though. Strength training is definitely important, particularly for those engaging in a high level of cardio.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

It's not something new. I tried it and hated it. So yes. It really just is not my thing. Even these bodyweight exercises are a chore.

As I said, I don't want sport to be a chore. It should be fun in order for me to stick with it. I've been walking, cycling and playing tennis for 2 years. And I still love it. In fact my whole day sucks when I DONT do it.

With strength its the other way around. I have to make myself do it and I don't look forward to it. I'm not excited about it. It's not fun. And to top it all off it makes everything hurt. I've never stuck with it for more than a few months.

I just hate it.

When I first started playing basketball I was around 250 pounds. It was hard for people to bully me in the post despite my lack of ability. I wasn't stronger than them, but I was bigger. Over time I lost that weight and gained more guard abilities like ball handling, passing, and shooting. Of course, at 180 I started driving to the hoop and trying to get rebounds in the post again. You know what happened?

Basketball became a chore. I didn't want to get punished every time I played by a stronger person. I had to weight train more to keep basketball fun. Otherwise I'd turn into a punching bag for better athletes and there would be no reason for me to play anymore.

So perhaps you aren't competitive like me, but if you ever want to take your tennis game to the next level, you need to become quicker, stronger, and more agile.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Okay so 2 questions. When doing a lot of reps for strength training, does it matter if you do the sets close to each other or farther out? For example is it better to do all the sets in an hour with little rest time, or would it hinder progress if you do each set an hour apart?
    If one is doing LOTS of reps, then it's not strength training it's endurance training.
    Second, is there anything that can be done to recover DOMS faster except lots of stretching?

Oh and also ignore my ghost profile... I'm still here not deactivated =D
    Stretching doesn't help recover DOMS. Rest does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

I just hate it.

When I first started playing basketball I was around 250 pounds. It was hard for people to bully me in the post despite my lack of ability. I wasn't stronger than them, but I was bigger. Over time I lost that weight and gained more guard abilities like ball handling, passing, and shooting. Of course, at 180 I started driving to the hoop and trying to get rebounds in the post again. You know what happened?

Basketball became a chore. I didn't want to get punished every time I played by a stronger person. I had to weight train more to keep basketball fun. Otherwise I'd turn into a punching bag for better athletes and there would be no reason for me to play anymore.

So perhaps you aren't competitive like me, but if you ever want to take your tennis game to the next level, you need to become quicker, stronger, and more agile.

Actually I don't lack too much in strength. (Certain parts of my body does) but I can still lift a 25kilo bag of dog food. I have strength, just not too much muscle.

• uconnwinsnc1
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just hate it.

Actually I don't lack too much in strength. (Certain parts of my body does) but I can still lift a 25kilo bag of dog food. I have strength, just not too much muscle.
    If you don't use it, you lose it. That 25kilo bag is going to feel like 50kilos in a few years.

Your racket speed will decline. Your directional change will be slower. Your legs will burn out after a long volley.

You think Roger Federer is still winning at 33 years old just by jogging?

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/training-confidential-roger-federer

Do tennis players need to do any conditioning, or is it all fitness?

I actually quite like to do weights. I don’t do normal repetitions because it’s more important for me to have explosive endurance for all those quick bursts I was talking about. So I don’t lift just one weight, I vary it.

What sort of things do you recommend?

I do three sets of 7-12 [reps]. I work on my quads then I combine that with some jumps. Or you could work your upper body by using a medicine ball with maybe 10 quick throws to motivate you. So you keep doing combinations, which means you can go back and forth and keep it interesting.