Two strength training questions...

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I bet she squats.

Serena-Williams.jpg
  • Do you despite lifting because you are scared of something new? Tell us what you feel about it other than, "Meh, not my thing."

It's not something new. I tried it and hated it. So yes. It really just is not my thing. Even these bodyweight exercises are a chore.

As I said, I don't want sport to be a chore. It should be fun in order for me to stick with it. I've been walking, cycling and playing tennis for 2 years. And I still love it. In fact my whole day sucks when I DONT do it.

With strength its the other way around. I have to make myself do it and I don't look forward to it. I'm not excited about it. It's not fun. And to top it all off it makes everything hurt. I've never stuck with it for more than a few months.

I just hate it.

When I first started playing basketball I was around 250 pounds. It was hard for people to bully me in the post despite my lack of ability. I wasn't stronger than them, but I was bigger. Over time I lost that weight and gained more guard abilities like ball handling, passing, and shooting. Of course, at 180 I started driving to the hoop and trying to get rebounds in the post again. You know what happened?

Basketball became a chore. I didn't want to get punished every time I played by a stronger person. I had to weight train more to keep basketball fun. Otherwise I'd turn into a punching bag for better athletes and there would be no reason for me to play anymore.

So perhaps you aren't competitive like me, but if you ever want to take your tennis game to the next level, you need to become quicker, stronger, and more agile.

Actually I don't lack too much in strength. (Certain parts of my body does) but I can still lift a 25kilo bag of dog food. I have strength, just not too much muscle.
    If you don't use it, you lose it. That 25kilo bag is going to feel like 50kilos in a few years.

Your racket speed will decline. Your directional change will be slower. Your legs will burn out after a long volley.

You think Roger Federer is still winning at 33 years old just by jogging?

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/training-confidential-roger-federer

Do tennis players need to do any conditioning, or is it all fitness?

I actually quite like to do weights. I don’t do normal repetitions because it’s more important for me to have explosive endurance for all those quick bursts I was talking about. So I don’t lift just one weight, I vary it.

What sort of things do you recommend?

I do three sets of 7-12 [reps]. I work on my quads then I combine that with some jumps. Or you could work your upper body by using a medicine ball with maybe 10 quick throws to motivate you. So you keep doing combinations, which means you can go back and forth and keep it interesting.

I don't play for competition. I play for fun with my family and friends. I don't even know what you are talking about when you use tennis terms. To me it's literally a game of hitting the ball. Lol
  • Another question. Does walking burn muscle when in a deficit? Like just normal everyday walking around? Not for exercise.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Another question. Does walking burn muscle when in a deficit? Like just normal everyday walking around? Not for exercise.

Yup. But it doesn't matter on your quest for skinny fat supremacy. :laugh:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    I bet she squats.

Serena-Williams.jpg

I'm guessing 300 lbs
  • randomtai wrote: »
    Another question. Does walking burn muscle when in a deficit? Like just normal everyday walking around? Not for exercise.

So I should get a wheel chair then??
  • randomtai
    randomtai wrote: »

So I should get a wheel chair then??

Eventually you might need one. :ohwell:
  • I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

Because muscle is used to move...isn't it??

I'm not sitting paralyzed in a wheel chair like a person with no legs or arms.
  • randomtai
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

Ever hear of a little thing called osteoporosis? :huh:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

Not to mention sarcopenia.

And so lifting heavy is the ONLY way to maintain muscle/bone?
  • randomtai

http://nof.org/exercise

So basically, I should keep the bw exercises even if just to maintain bone and muscle (if I have any) even if it will make no difference to my physique. Okay then.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.
  • I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

If ever there was an excellent time to protect your future self.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.
  • randomtai
    dbmata wrote: »

If ever there was an excellent time to protect your future self.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

Agree with this.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member

You're 21, of course you haven't noticed any muscle loss yet because you're still incredibly young. The longer you wait, the worse off it will be.

12 liters is only like 25 pounds. That shouldn't be considered heavy weight for someone in their early 20s.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member

So basically, I should keep the bw exercises even if just to maintain bone and muscle (if I have any) even if it will make no difference to my physique. Okay then.

Except (hear me out), you don't even like doing the bw exercises, right? And they're dragging on for hours apparently, because of (reallly) long rest times. So, instead of dragging out bw exercises that you don't like for HOURS....why not get a nice short, sweet weight program that can be done in 20-40 minutes (2-3x/wk). Still doing something you don't like, but now, it's taking less time and is NOT ONLY for you bones & muscles, but can also have immense effect on your physique/appearance and your long-term ability to maintain said appearance.

(btw, I ****wish***** someone had told me at 21 to learn to lift and build some freakin' muscle so I'd never have to diet again. Instead, i spent most of my life either dieting or dissatisfied with my skinnyfat appearance. And now, in my 40s, it's taking forever to get where I want to be, even now that I know how. tl;dr: listen to what people are telling you, it can save you decades)

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Okay so 2 questions. When doing a lot of reps for strength training, does it matter if you do the sets close to each other or farther out? For example is it better to do all the sets in an hour with little rest time, or would it hinder progress if you do each set an hour apart?

Second, is there anything that can be done to recover DOMS faster except lots of stretching?

Oh and also ignore my ghost profile... I'm still here not deactivated =D

The number of reps and how much time you take depends on what your trying to accomplish. I want to burn calories and I am super strong already from years of training experience so I don't rest much. I do HITT. I do bench then go to another heavy fast rep exercise or a cardio sprint then back to the bench. Most people rest too much between sets.

Stretching is good it helps relieve the build up of lactic acid and so massage can help also but Iced is your friend. If you ice and you will recover very fast. It is the best tool available. anti-inflammatory like Advil will help but I have stooped using that because I found an Arcinia massage rub works just as good.

If your dread weight training and can you may find that if you get a trainer that you like spending time with it may help you enjoy it more.