A question about bulking and cutting...

Options
124»

Replies

• feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    mrbyte wrote: »
    FeralIX: Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

DBmata: Yes I was jusy relaying experience. Who knows if I have medical issues that is producing these results? No one is the same.

Phil, I'm the same age as you. Rather than following the mob and trying to debunk what I'm saying as a falsity, Rather just try it and see if it works for you. I just turned 50 this month and the way I eat makes me lean and the lifting keeps lbm on me.

I'm not here to argue just relay experience that people can experiment with. If it works then great. If not, no big deal..move on to the next diet theory.

The forums here are ruthless. I've been accused of lying about my age, telling me I eat to much protein, etc. People need to lightlen up.
    Hi I'm not trying to deliberately debunk you for the sake of it but if people quote personal results that go in the face of the laws of physics and biochemistry then you've got to expect a little heat... On forums like this we get so many people claiming contrary results but with investigation their results are actually consistent with the science it is their own self analysis that tends to be wrong. If you can lose fat eating at maintenance then this is fairly unique but I would hazard there is something in the overall equation that explains this. I apologise if I sound patronising I'm just a fellow explorer and member of the 50+ club!

What doesn't coincide with the laws of biochemistry? If he replaced 1000 calories of carbs with 1000 calories of protein, his body would have less available energy due to the greater energy expended in processing the protein. Not massive differences, but a difference nonetheless, that when taken over the long term should yield a noticeable effect.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    [quote
    thats the nice thing about science, you don't have to believe in it, it just is….[/quote]

Science always has merit, flawed studies that consistently reach contrasting conclusions do not.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    at 27% body fat- I wouldn't recommend a bulk. at all.

I'd say eat at maintenance and lift.

or continue to cut at a moderate deficit and lift .

Can you do this (I mean is it effective)? What kind of results do you get? Can you build muscle or will it be more like maintaining existing muscle kind of like in a deficit? I've been really confused about this stuff lately... if you'd rather PM me that would work too.. if you're willing to explain. Or if anyone knows.

I remember someone posting something like so..:

Lift+deficit = maintain muscle mass but lose fat (no muscle gains)
    Lift+maintenance = nothing at all, i.e. no muscle gain and no fat loss (hence my confusion)
    Lift+surplus = fat and muscle gain
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You will maintain the muscle you have- or you will get stronger.

you have to remember strength =/= muscle gains- as in size. You can get stronger without gaining measurable size.

There are some exceptions where people can have actual- small- size gains while not a surplus- brand new lifters- or older lifters that have been out and are coming back to it- but it has to do with the CNS rather than significant size gains.

And yes- what you reposted was something I have said- and it's a good very simple guide to understand how this process works.
  • philwrightfitness
    philwrightfitness Posts: 122
    edited December 2014
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    mrbyte wrote: »
    FeralIX: Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

DBmata: Yes I was jusy relaying experience. Who knows if I have medical issues that is producing these results? No one is the same.

Phil, I'm the same age as you. Rather than following the mob and trying to debunk what I'm saying as a falsity, Rather just try it and see if it works for you. I just turned 50 this month and the way I eat makes me lean and the lifting keeps lbm on me.

I'm not here to argue just relay experience that people can experiment with. If it works then great. If not, no big deal..move on to the next diet theory.

The forums here are ruthless. I've been accused of lying about my age, telling me I eat to much protein, etc. People need to lightlen up.
    Hi I'm not trying to deliberately debunk you for the sake of it but if people quote personal results that go in the face of the laws of physics and biochemistry then you've got to expect a little heat... On forums like this we get so many people claiming contrary results but with investigation their results are actually consistent with the science it is their own self analysis that tends to be wrong. If you can lose fat eating at maintenance then this is fairly unique but I would hazard there is something in the overall equation that explains this. I apologise if I sound patronising I'm just a fellow explorer and member of the 50+ club!

What doesn't coincide with the laws of biochemistry? If he replaced 1000 calories of carbs with 1000 calories of protein, his body would have less available energy due to the greater energy expended in processing the protein. Not massive differences, but a difference nonetheless, that when taken over the long term should yield a noticeable effect.

You are right I did the maths theoretically 800 calories of carbs replaced with 800 calories of protein could theoretically net you a 200 + calorie deficit ...it's still a deficit and the science holds true....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    good morning OP. if you are a lifting beginner, there is no need to worry about bulking and cutting cycles. start lifting and eat at a slight deficit. you can basically do a body recomp for a year while seeing great results and dropping body fat before worrying about bulking and cutting.

**ETA: OP deactivated**
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    good morning OP. if you are a lifting beginner, there is no need to worry about bulking and cutting cycles. start lifting and eat at a slight deficit. you can basically do a body recomp for a year while seeing great results and dropping body fat before worrying about bulking and cutting.

**ETA: OP deactivated**

I've seen the deactivated link on a couple of posts lately and its reportedly just bad links via the site.