Fed Up Documentary

Options
I just watched the Fed Up Documentary 2013 produced by Katie Couric in 2013. I don't know how I missed it? But it hit the nail on the head with my weight loss (and gain) issues starting in 1994/1995. At age 36, I weighed 129, then suddenly I went to 143, 164, 177, 199, then up to 200 plus, my highest being 217. What did I do to make this happen? I changed my diet and became what I thought was a vegetarian. I replaced meat with non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes. I started to gain weight...then I was pitched the "calories in/out" song by the local gym and diet guru's on television. (Richard Simmons come to mind) and after joining a gym, and starting to "exercise" I jumped from 143. to 217 in a few years. Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan. The ONLY time I seemed to drop weight was when I wasn't eating at all for whatever reason, sometimes a much as 4 pounds a day. I followed the Susan Powter No Fat rules, and they did help, but those replacements for meat are just as bad and any processed foods. I realize now, we the public have been 'worlded and twirled" by the truly wealthy 10% in the world, and the governments they control to control us the masses of white lab rats.

Well, this white lab rat is going on the Fed Up Challenge on December 6th, 2014 for the 10 days of no sugars, and processed foods, and in my case no meats or dairy or eggs either. Lets see what happens.

o:)

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i don't understand what the wealthy have to do with our weight gain? i'm pretty sure that was all me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I too managed to gain weight without the government or the wealthy having anything to do with it and without ever buying into anti meat or fat makes you fat stuff, or even without eating much highly processed stuff. And I've lost it eating more sensibly but again without giving up anything (or the advice of Katie Couric).

I do eat meat and a reasonable amount of fat, though, and I know where my sugar comes from although I don't eliminate it. (I'll still eat my hat if anyone in the world is really fat because there's a bit of sugar in supermarket bread or from the sugar in ketchup, though, even though I personally don't much care for either product.)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Another programme allowing us to blame someone else for our actions :o
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Another programme allowing us to blame someone else for our actions :o
    Indeed. But "eat less, move more" just isn't as sexy as conspiracy theory twaddle. "There's a diabolical plot being orchestrated against me, but I'm perceptive enough to pick up on it!" Derp derp derp.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Fed Up Documentary 2013 produced by Katie Couric in 2013. I don't know how I missed it? But it hit the nail on the head with my weight loss (and gain) issues starting in 1994/1995. At age 36, I weighed 129, then suddenly I went to 143, 164, 177, 199, then up to 200 plus, my highest being 217. What did I do to make this happen? I changed my diet and became what I thought was a vegetarian. I replaced meat with non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes. I started to gain weight...then I was pitched the "calories in/out" song by the local gym and diet guru's on television. (Richard Simmons come to mind) and after joining a gym, and starting to "exercise" I jumped from 143. to 217 in a few years. Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan. The ONLY time I seemed to drop weight was when I wasn't eating at all for whatever reason, sometimes a much as 4 pounds a day. I followed the Susan Powter No Fat rules, and they did help, but those replacements for meat are just as bad and any processed foods. I realize now, we the public have been 'worlded and twirled" by the truly wealthy 10% in the world, and the governments they control to control us the masses of white lab rats.

Well, this white lab rat is going on the Fed Up Challenge on December 6th, 2014 for the 10 days of no sugars, and processed foods, and in my case no meats or dairy or eggs either. Lets see what happens.

If you're not going to eat sugar, processed foods, meats, dairy and eggs, what will you eat? Inb4fruitandveggiesingnorance
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So you gained weight because of the wealthy 10% and the government, but now you're going to lose weight listening to Katie Couric, who is also ridiculously wealthy and well-affliated with the government from years of working as a journalist. Allrighty then.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    This literally made me LOL!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Let's see, either you ate too much, or a conspiracy of rich people caused your body to defy the laws of physics.

And the most infuriating thing is that they could be using this technology to provide an unending supply of energy for humankind, but because they're so evil they just use it to make people fat!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    At age 36, I weighed 129, then suddenly I went to 143, 164, 177, 199, then up to 200 plus, my highest being 217. What did I do to make this happen? I changed my diet and became what I thought was a vegetarian.

You didn't suddenly gain weight like that (unless you have some kind of very serious medical condition) you gained that weight very slowly due to a sustained calorie surplus.
    I replaced meat with non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes. I started to gain weight...

Because a non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes based calorie surplus is still a calorie surplus.
    then I was pitched the "calories in/out" song by the local gym and diet guru's on television. (Richard Simmons come to mind) and after joining a gym, and starting to "exercise" I jumped from 144. to 217 in a few years. Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan.

Calories In/Out is the rock solid science, ignore anyone who says otherwise. If you gained weight while attempting to use this approach it is because your Calories In > Calories Out (unless you have some kind of very serious medical condition).
    The ONLY time I seemed to drop weight was when I wasn't eating at all for whatever reason, sometimes a much as 4 pounds a day.

That 4 pounds was likely all water weight (unless you've got a serious medical condition) as losing 4 pounds in a day would require 4 x 3500 calorie deficit (14000) for that day alone.
    I realize now, we the public have been 'worlded and twirled" by the truly wealthy 10% in the world, and the governments they control to control us the masses of white lab rats.

Conspiracy theories are like weight loss advice, 99% of it is total nonsense and should be ignored.

You will gain, lose, or maintain, depending on how many calories you consume and how many you burn.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Katie Couric is a visionary
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey dear, I am just dropping by to support your decision. :) Regardless of weight loss and conspiracy theories, giving up sugar and processed food will make for a much healthier lifestyle.

A few words of caution however: don't expect to magically lose weight. Exercising more and not overeating are still important. I have been on a mediterranean diet all my life (which barely includes processed food and little sugar), but still managed to get a couple pounds overweight. On the bright side though, all my blood tests always come back great. :)

Btw, I am lactose-intolerant, barely eat meat and was taught how to cook using very little condiments but still giving taste, so if you ever want any ideas for recipes send me a message and I will let you know.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Woooooooow you're incredibly ignorant and also extremely gullible
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's completely down to the individual to control what and how much we eat, but there is truth in the fact that the big food corporations don't care about our health. They'll market anything as healthy just to sell it when it's actually complete synthesised cr*p. Of course you need to take personal resposibility on educating yourself about what's healthy and what's not but it's not made any easier with all the conflicting information out there.
    It's true, they didn't force feed you anything, whatever you ate was your choice… Either way, good to know you started to do your own research. Educate yourself then follow whatever feels right to you! Good luck.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    FilionWaitWhat.gif
  • Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I enjoy these types of documentaries as I feel they shed some light as to what is going on in the food industry... BUT it is up to the individual to take control of their lives and make healthy and educated choices.

a 10 day challenge will do nothing other than have you drop water weight. If you want to make a real change, develop a healthy relationship with food and stick to it. Consume less, be more active, make smart choices.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree that it's completely down to the individual to control what and how much we eat, but there is truth in the fact that the big food corporations don't care about our health. They'll market anything as healthy just to sell it when it's actually complete synthesised cr*p. Of course you need to take personal resposibility on educating yourself about what's healthy and what's not but it's not made any easier with all the conflicting information out there.
    It's true, they didn't force feed you anything, whatever you ate was your choice… Either way, good to know you started to do your own research. Educate yourself then follow whatever feels right to you! Good luck.

Of course they don't care about your health, it's not their job to care about your health, it's your job to care about your health. You're the one that should be educating yourself about nutrition and doing the research and deciding what to eat. It's a corporation's job to make money, and people overeating doesn't make corporations evil, it makes those individual people ignorant and weak. People deserve the EXACT body that they get, nothing better, nothing worse. If you read a random article about nutrition with zero citations and take it at face value, then you're not doing a good enough job. Read actual scientific papers about nutrition and make informed decisions.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This literally made me LOL!

took the words right outta my mouf

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

The "rules" of "calories in-calories out" work well for the majority of people in their youth (and who exercise). HOWEVER, it just doesn't work very well for the typical post-menopausal woman, because the reduced number of calories she needs to shrink her fat deposits results in malnutrition, if she is eating calorie-dense, nutrient-poor food (think sugary, white-flour types of food). That kind of diet results in some loss of fat but, in the aging body, (when there is little or no exercise) it results in even more loss of lean body mass. And that is a set up for nearly inevitable regain (and usually, even more is regained than was lost on the "diet").

I gained the most weight I ever gained on a vegetarian diet because I didn't restrict carbohydrates. Carbohydrates (in the absence of sufficient quantities of vigorous exercise) contribute to high blood sugar--->high insulin-->leptin and insulin resistance---> fat gain, even while on what is supposed to be a calorie deficit. In a few studies, post-menopausal women with small frames (and little muscle) were found to gain body fat on 1,400 calories a day! And that is barely enough to nourish an adult body, when careful attention is paid to nutrition. 1,200 calories of nutrient-dense food is needed just to maintain health. Calorie-dense, nutrient-poor food is a "luxury" that woman cannot afford. Exercise is the key to reversing leptin and insulin resistance as is a mild restriction of carbohydrates. I generally keep mine below 150 grams a day and I spend my "carbohydrate allowance" on vegetables and some fruit (never more than two servings a day--because, while it is nutrient-dense, it is also sweet and that needs to be restricted to keep blood sugar down). I eat higher levels of fat and slightly higher levels of protein because they both have a measure of satiety that exceeds that of carbohydrates. To date, I have lost 66 pounds and am now in a "healthy" weight range for my age (66). I feel really well and those who know me think I look "20 years younger" than my age. My capacity for exercise and work has increased greatly and I actually have gained a fair bit of muscle (through weight-lifting). There's no particular magic for fat loss in the post-menopausal women but it must be very carefully and thoughtfully done. P.M. me if you want some more tips. Welcome to MFP! :)