Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    I'm not going to read any sort of internet article.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

That is the quote.
    You can clearly see where I said "I personally believe"

You know that nutrition isn't a religion, right?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
    We are talking refined sugar here.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

And where does Brazil fall in the global obesity rankings?
    I haven't seen an obese Thai yet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

http://www.burning-bison.com/obesity.htm
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I'm not going to read any sort of internet article.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

That is the quote.
    You can clearly see where I said "I personally believe"

You know that nutrition isn't a religion, right?
    Who said it was ?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that I am a billionaire.

So...what now...do I clap, or click my heels, or what?

that can be factually disproven.

Stop being a *kitten*.

But so can "sugar is addictive." So....YOU stop being a j*******! :smiley:

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

Yes, I would, in fact, disagree.

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

...but you do resist the urge to pound 3 hershey bars every day of the week right ?

You misunderstand. There is no "urge" to resist. As I stated, I don't care for Hershey's. I find it repulsive.
    They're actually quite good.

Nope. Hershey's is inferior chocolate. I don't care how much sugar they put in it. Try some real chocolate.

The problem with most North American mass produced chocolate is that they use a lot of wax to preserve it. Now European and specialty chocolatiers are much better!
  • sm1zzle
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

...but you do resist the urge to pound 3 hershey bars every day of the week right ?

You misunderstand. There is no "urge" to resist. As I stated, I don't care for Hershey's. I find it repulsive.

Nope. Hershey's is inferior chocolate. I don't care how much sugar they put in it. Try some real chocolate.

Godiva is good too.

Comparing chocolate is like comparing beer in a way.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

no I don't…

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:
    Working long hours, usually for six days each week, reduces peoples' ability and propensity to exercise. A similar situation applies with Thai children, whose school day is often drawn out with commuting and after-school tutoring. To make matters worse, most schools appear to place a low priority on sport and physical education. Little disposable income and often high levels of household debt mean that many are unable to afford to visit commercial recreation facilities such as modern gyms.

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Sorry but Reese's Cups are the tastiest candy in the world and I've had some expensive "classy" posh chocolates before. Nothing is better than a Reese's.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Dang it! I stayed too long in this thread...all this sugar talk is getting to me...OP is MAKING ME eat pumpkin pie!!! Off I go! >:)

(P.S. It's OK, really, I have the calories for it.)
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:
    Working long hours, usually for six days each week, reduces peoples' ability and propensity to exercise. A similar situation applies with Thai children, whose school day is often drawn out with commuting and after-school tutoring. To make matters worse, most schools appear to place a low priority on sport and physical education. Little disposable income and often high levels of household debt mean that many are unable to afford to visit commercial recreation facilities such as modern gyms.

ok ?

• AJ_G
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

You've been trying to prove that a country's sugar is directly responsible for obesity rates. There are more variables that you are overlooking.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

You've been trying to prove that a country's sugar is directly responsible for obesity rates. There are more variables that you are overlooking.

All I did was post an article that talked about obese Thais. Had nothing to do with sugar at that point.
  • AJ_G
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

All I did was post an article that talked about obese Thais. Had nothing to do with sugar at that point.

That resulted from a discussion about the top 10 countries in the world for sugar intake and you attempting to link sugar intake to obesity so it had a lot to do with sugar at that point. How short is your memory?
  • sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

That resulted from a discussion about the top 10 countries in the world for sugar intake and you attempting to link sugar intake to obesity so it had a lot to do with sugar at that point. How short is your memory?

The guy said he has never seen an obese Thai.
    I posted him a link to an article that talked about obese Thais.

You can try to make more out of it if you like.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Abstract
    Overweight and obesity are considered a serious health problem in Thailand. This study examined the prevalence of overweight and obesity in a nationally representative sample of Thai children and adults based on international standards. A cross-sectional population survey of 16,596 Thais aged 3 years and over was conducted. Heights and weights were obtained using standardized methods. Estimates of the overweight and obesity prevalence in children, adolescents, and adults were computed. The prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents aged 3 to 18 years was 7.6% and 9.0%, respectively, and was higher among boys than girls. Among adults, using the the Regional Office for the Western Pacific (WPRO) standard, 17.1% of adults were classified as overweight [body mass index (BMI) 23.0-24.9 kg/m²], 19.0% as class I obesity (BMI 25.0-29.9 kg/m²), and 4.8% as class II obesity (BMI ≥ 30.0 kg/m²). Using the World Health Organization (WHO) definition, 19.0% were overweight (BMI 25-29.9 kg/m²), 4.0% class I obesity (BMI 30.0-34.9 kg/m²), 0.8% class II obesity (BMI 35.0-39.9 kg/m²), and 0.1% class III obesity (BMI ≥ 40.0 kg/m²). There was a vast difference in obesity prevalence between the WHO and the WPRO criteria. Obesity prevalence when using the WPRO definition (23.8%) was almost five times greater than when defined with the WHO standard (4.9%). The present study found a high prevalence of overweight and obesity in nationally representative sample of the Thai population. Higher rates of overweight and obesity prevalence were computed using the WPRO standard when compared to the WHO standard.
    PMID: 22526130 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22526130
  • AJ_G
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

Would it not have been easier to simply post a picture of an obese Thai?

2m3lhdu.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Documentaries usually just highlight information that supports the point of view of the producer, writer, etc. It's rare that there are documentaries that are very well balanced.
    That said, it's still going to boil down to calories in/out for the general population with no impending health issues for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

vimeo.com/94976653

I just watched this doc for the first time this evening thanks to myfitnesspal post that was not sponsored by big business that seemed OK but your view of documentaries can be right on.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Sorry but Reese's Cups are the tastiest candy in the world and I've had some expensive "classy" posh chocolates before. Nothing is better than a Reese's.

Another opinion. Quite far from anything resembling a fact. :smiley:

defc8a6b4ad3e7649d5f476daf67266b.jpg
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Another opinion. Quite far from anything resembling a fact. :smiley:

defc8a6b4ad3e7649d5f476daf67266b.jpg

Nope, it is scientifically proven that Reese's Cups are the greatest of all time.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From your posted link:

ok ?

Would it not have been easier to simply post a picture of an obese Thai?

2m3lhdu.jpg

nope.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Seconded.