Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Converse All-Star - flat and solid.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I also lift in Chucks. They are purplish pink. SEXY.
  • heybales
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ok, mine are plain black and white. You mean I could have gotten purple and pink!
    Let down.

I was actually surprised by the price of what I thought was a simple shoe. Wish I'd looked for an off brand same style/materials. Not like the seams get abused or such.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Won't help you, but I go barefoot in my little home gym.....On colder days the non-slip socks with rubber dots underneath.....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    I squat in Olympic shoes now. (Australian brand)

Deadlifts are always done in flat soled canvas shoes. Don't need anything fancy at all, just a thin flat sole that grips and lightweight.

Yes I agree about thin flat sole. Right now I'm using these, they have been my favorite shoe to date. It feels like I have absolutely no sole. As if I feel when I step on a dust bunny. I've never tried an actual Olympic Shoe.

WYUNJdU.jpg?1

BoYjKBs.jpg?1
    I like how your purse matches your shoes bro.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have tried the chucks thing, but if your feet are wide, you're boned.

Those adidas you showed in the pic above are pretty tight, they're probably what I'll do when I'm tired of washing my vibrams.

I just wish there was a place to try them on, before ordering, ya know?
  • heybales
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

WYUNJdU.jpg?1

BoYjKBs.jpg?1
    I like how your purse matches your shoes bro.

LOL - good fashion eye, totally missed that.

Can good form be maintained holding a purse? Cause you gotta show that off.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Vibrams, be cool like me.

lol. I'm looking at something like Adidas Powerliters.
    Adidas shoes
    Reebok bok bok bok bok
    These Ambers are pretty "badass in eastern germany."
    I was considering the Adidas right now. Those are my favorite look so far. Good reviews also. These though:

2291394-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Or these....

QRdOOPc.jpg?1

I just got the Adipowers delivered, but won't be trying them till late this week. I've read they're narrow, but they fit true to size for me. I wear size 10 Adidas adipure runners, and the size 10 Adipowers fit perfectly. Apparently the powerlifters heel starts to flatten under load at about 500lbs, that's body weight plus the bar, and not as durable as the Adipowers. You definitely won't want to DL in them though, you'll need flat soles for that. I go barefoot, too bad that's not an option for you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you get anything but these, you are basically a chump:

http://www.maxbarbell.com/products/sabo-deadlift-lifting-shoes

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/sabo-deadlift-shoe/

I struggled with Chucks for way too long before getting these. Chucks are terrible, especially if you don't have super narrow feet. I had to get a pair that was two sizes too big and they're STILL a little too narrow (but are way too long and look like clown shoes).
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    nezze3kekwlt.jpg
    Ok I just joined a gym and heard all about how awesome Chucks are but I needed to get some cheap shoes fast. So I went to Payless and got some Airwalks! They are flat soled like Chucks and super comfy. I do all my weights including leg press and I do the recumbent bike in them. Best decision I ever made. And they were on sale for $15!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have Wei Rui weightlifting shoes and I bought them at the link below. They were the ones on clearance for $45. I really like them and you can't beat an actual weightlifting shoe for 45 bucks.

http://www.maxbarbell.com/collections/weightlifting-shoes

ETA: I don't really know anything. I am happy with them though.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    deadlift slippers? Mofo's know you are hardcore if you wear them :stuck_out_tongue:
  • dbmata
    Options
    I want some dl slippers with little flowers on them for my comp.

Or maybe not, since it will be a room of lifters, and not my normal gym denizens. lol.
  • mrprytania
    mrprytania Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought New Balance Minimus shoes. They mostly run a bit more than $100, but at www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com I got mine for $40. They might be last year's style but who cares. Haven't received them yet, so can't comment on quality, but there are a number of Minimus styles and they include in the description that they're good for weightlifting.

I agree minimal shoes are a great option. I buy mine at sierratradingpost.com 40-80% off last years colors. Subscribe to their eFlyers for discount coupons.

My current favorites are ASICS GEL-Fortius TR. I've also loved Merrell Barefoot shoes and New Balance Minimus 20v3. You can lift in them but also do a little cardio in them as well.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I was actually surprised by the price of what I thought was a simple shoe. Wish I'd looked for an off brand same style/materials. Not like the seams get abused or such.

Yeah, Converse really gouges on the price for Chucks. I don't know if that happened when Nike bought them or not, but at one time they were inexpensive shoes.

The cheapest official variant is the "One Star DX Oxford" only available at Target for $35 which is still pretty lame because a few years ago they were $20.
    http://www.target.com/p/men-s-converse-one-star-dx-oxford-black/-/A-14480462

The best knockoff I've found is from Walmart- the "Faded Glory - Men's Stinson Oxford Lace-up Sneakers" for $13. I've been using these as my standard daily shoe for a couple years now, and they usually last about four months before getting a hole in the sole. Though my current pair has lasted about twice that, so maybe they improved the quality. Or maybe it's just a freak pair.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26095863
  • Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    mrprytania wrote: »
    I bought New Balance Minimus shoes. They mostly run a bit more than $100, but at www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com I got mine for $40. They might be last year's style but who cares. Haven't received them yet, so can't comment on quality, but there are a number of Minimus styles and they include in the description that they're good for weightlifting.

I agree minimal shoes are a great option. I buy mine at sierratradingpost.com 40-80% off last years colors. Subscribe to their eFlyers for discount coupons.

My current favorites are ASICS GEL-Fortius TR. I've also loved Merrell Barefoot shoes and New Balance Minimus 20v3. You can lift in them but also do a little cardio in them as well.

I love my New Balance Minimus. Got them last year. I have fairly large wide feet and they fit true to size for me. They are wearing well, and wash easily. Am considering getting Olympic shoes for squatting though.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Chucks the whole way. They're inexpensive, serve their purpose, and really not much different from any other flat, hard soled shoe you're going to pay a hundred bucks more to buy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in my Nike free 4.0 V3s. I'll be very disappointed when they discontinue them. The frees are good for lifting because they don't compress and give you a more natural range of motion.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Yeah, Converse really gouges on the price for Chucks. I don't know if that happened when Nike bought them or not, but at one time they were inexpensive shoes.

The cheapest official variant is the "One Star DX Oxford" only available at Target for $35 which is still pretty lame because a few years ago they were $20.
    http://www.target.com/p/men-s-converse-one-star-dx-oxford-black/-/A-14480462

The best knockoff I've found is from Walmart- the "Faded Glory - Men's Stinson Oxford Lace-up Sneakers" for $13. I've been using these as my standard daily shoe for a couple years now, and they usually last about four months before getting a hole in the sole. Though my current pair has lasted about twice that, so maybe they improved the quality. Or maybe it's just a freak pair.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26095863

If you have a DSW, Off Broadway Shoe, Marshalls, or TJMaxx near you, they often have low top chucks on clearance for about 20$. High tops aren't as common on the clearance shelves. The colors aren't always the prettiest but meh.

When I lifted in a gym, I used Chucks - either high or low tops.

I lift at home now:

It's either socks or socks and slippers I got from Payless.

Payless has knockoff Vans and Converse under the Airwalk line