Do your tattoos change when you lose weight?

Options
Hi all -

Just a general question for folks who have lost a lot of weight who also have tattoos. Did your tattoos change in shape/size/move around when you started to lose? I have an ultimate weight loss goal of 50-60lbs and am wondering if my tattoos will look different if I lose that much.

Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would like an answer to this as well. I'm not done getting tattooed, but wonder if I should wait before starting on my sleeves? I have about 80-ish pounds yet to lose. The first part I'd get is on my inner forearm. Then I'll build the design from there. Thoughts?
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump! I really want to know!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on where the tattoo was and if there was a lot of fat under it. I have a little dolphin on the back of my shoulder and it hasn't changed - but then there's not been that much fat over the bone there.

Here's this to think about - if you inflate a balloon and draw something on it. Let the air out - what does it look like now?
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on where the tattoo is. I have a tattoo on the back of my neck and I got it before I started my weight loss journey. I've lost 152 lbs and it hasn't changed one single bit.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it would probably depend most on the placement - then followed by how much weight you lost in that specific area. Most of my tattoos are on my arms - which isn't where my weight fluxuations happen.
  • fwinnower
    fwinnower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a small tattoo of a star on a fat-rich area. It expanded when I gained weight and has shrunk as I've lost. However, it has remained proportional. My worry would be that a large tattoo that spread over two or more areas of the body that lost weight at different rates would end up looking wonky.
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    unless it is a big tattoo spread out over a massive area, combined with massive weight loss, it should remain proportional. I have a friend that is covered neck to toes and has lost over 180lbs, and become very active in MMA and his tattoos look the same, aside from fading & age. the only real concern would be a torso tattoo and significant enough weight loss to require skin removal.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it depends most on where it is and how much weight you've gained and lost. I have several over various parts of my body, all of which I got during different weights. Obviously the one on my lower abdomen that I got when I was a skinny 18 year old has expanded and shrunk several times, so it's a bit faded and less defined. When I look back at getting that tattoo I laugh- the artist said before starting it, 'if you gain any weight or get pregnant this tattoo will be ruined," I laughed as the confident, naïve child I was and said, "no way, that will never happen!" Ha. The large piece on my back is pretty much the same, and the one on my *kitten* is pretty much the same as well. I'd definitely wait until I was at my goal weight to get any on places that will shrink significantly.

Thread highjack!

What did you wear to get the *kitten* tattoo? I really don't know what to wear to my appointment.

Edit: I asked my tattoo artist friend about this once. Basically, a good tattoo should maintain it's integrity through weight gain/loss barring extreme circumstance. Such as really, really extreme weightless. Like enough to require skin removal.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos on both calves, both thighs, shoulder, ankle, and chest - none were noticeably affected by the weight loss.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on where you get it. I see al these people saying it depends how big too but I disagree. For me I don't have an issue it's right above my wrist and that area didn't gain any weight but I know peopel who have gotten it on other areas of their body, such as tramp stamp and things, where they do lose weight and now that seh's losing weight it's looking pretty ragged and not so much like what it used to...and that's with her heading back to the weight she was when she got it. Also on 'World's Worst Tattoos' or whatever it's called this woman went in after a ton of weight lose and just having a small butter fly on her breast and it shrunk and looked ridiculous. I would suggest talking to the professional who is going to do your tattoo and seeing what they advice. If they think it's going to shrink and screw up how it looks then I would wait and get the tattoo as a reward. My second tattoo is going on my feet, I'm trying to stick to area's that wont' get messed up by any weight gain
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says it depends on where the tattoo(s) are on your body. I was very deliberate in selecting body parts that would not change significantly with weight loss/gain – at least not to the point where the art would distort. I have them on my shoulders and ankle. The ankle one looks much larger now on my smaller ankle/calf but otherwise the same. I would certainly never put one on my belly or around my upper (bingo) arms. :laugh:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Mine haven't changed in any significant way. I have a quarter back piece (in my profile) and a smaller one on my thigh. After 84 lbs, both still look the same.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My other tattoos wouldnt' matter if I gained or lose but I was concern about the one on my back and it's the same. I went from 140-215 back down to 145 and been up/down the same 10lbs.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think it depends most on where it is and how much weight you've gained and lost. I have several over various parts of my body, all of which I got during different weights. Obviously the one on my lower abdomen that I got when I was a skinny 18 year old has expanded and shrunk several times, so it's a bit faded and less defined. When I look back at getting that tattoo I laugh- the artist said before starting it, 'if you gain any weight or get pregnant this tattoo will be ruined," I laughed as the confident, naïve child I was and said, "no way, that will never happen!" Ha. The large piece on my back is pretty much the same, and the one on my *kitten* is pretty much the same as well. I'd definitely wait until I was at my goal weight to get any on places that will shrink significantly.

Thread highjack!

What did you wear to get the *kitten* tattoo? I really don't know what to wear to my appointment.

Edit: I asked my tattoo artist friend about this once. Basically, a good tattoo should maintain it's integrity through weight gain/loss barring extreme circumstance. Such as really, really extreme weightless. Like enough to require skin removal.

I just wore jeans and pulled them down to expose the cheek. I'm not a very modest person, so I didn't really care who saw what. I wasn't planning on getting it, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, and it's not very big.
  • dropitlikeitshot76
    Options
    I agree with the majority here in that it depends on the placement, I got a tat on my arm last yr at the start of my journey and after losing 70 lbs in the last yr it has only made it look more awesome! I have tone and defention n my arm and it makes the tat stand out and look pretty awesome. It is actually why I got it, I used it for motivation bc I hated my arms and wouldn't show them off.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Guess we'll find out. I got a back piece done at 340 pounds+ and am heading towards 250 so... I'll let you know!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I just wore jeans and pulled them down to expose the cheek. I'm not a very modest person, so I didn't really care who saw what. I wasn't planning on getting it, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, and it's not very big.

Thank you.

I was thinking just stretch/yoga pants and a thong or no underpants. That way I can just pull a leg out. Mine is going to be fairly large and I really don't know where/how exactly it's going to be placed.
  • ClaireSmith811
    ClaireSmith811 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a strawberry on my belly which went massive when I was pregnant (I gained 3 stones). It's getting back to it's normal size now that I'm down to 9st but is a bit of a mess so I'm going for a cover up as soon as I'm at my goal of 8st. The tattoos on my shoulder, ankle and lower back have never changed.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of factors to consider, age, placement, skin elasticity, etc.

When I was 20 I got a tattoo on my rib cage that was in script style writing; since that tattoo have gained about 20-25ish lbs and I have noticed its a little harder to read. As I have started to thin out/lose BF I have noticed it becoming a bit clearer again...

if there is no rush to get a new tat, wait.

if you already have one, I would say make sure you MOISTURIZE!! and use sunscreen. hopefully that helps keep your skin healthy and your tattoos in the best shape
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When you are 22 yrs old and get a cute butterfly tattooed on your breast, it's real cute. When you are 55, it can look more like a caterpillar! And the little "smiley" face on your flat little belly begins to look like a melting frown by then too.

Face it, your body will not stay the same as when you are in your 20's no matter what you do. Everything changes, shifts, moves, enlarges, or goes away. And at 22, you never think it will happen to YOU!!

Moral of this story.... THINK LONG-TERM before you get a novelty tattoo!!!