Do your tattoos change when you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would like an answer to this as well. I'm not done getting tattooed, but wonder if I should wait before starting on my sleeves? I have about 80-ish pounds yet to lose. The first part I'd get is on my inner forearm. Then I'll build the design from there. Thoughts?

In about 10-15 years your skin texture will change. So will the shape of your arms. If you look closely at the skin of an older person, you will see it starts to look more like crepe paper and not as smooth as in your 20s & 30s. Also, women tend to get that flappy underarm stuff, no matter how we exercise. Age just does something to our upper arms.

Soooo, before you do it, think about what kind of tattoos will look good when they are crinkled and crusty and flapping in the breeze every time you wave to someone. And dont say you wont care by then, because YES YOU WILL TOO!! Just as much as you do now!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I talked to my tattoo artist about this before. He said you have to lose a drastic amount of weight, 100 pounds or more, for your tattoos to change.
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    When you are 22 yrs old and get a cute butterfly tattooed on your breast, it's real cute. When you are 55, it can look more like a caterpillar! And the little "smiley" face on your flat little belly begins to look like a melting frown by then too.

Face it, your body will not stay the same as when you are in your 20's no matter what you do. Everything changes, shifts, moves, enlarges, or goes away. And at 22, you never think it will happen to YOU!!

Moral of this story.... THINK LONG-TERM before you get a novelty tattoo!!!

Thanks mom!! Someone always feels the need to chime in with their personal feelings on questions they weren't asked there opinion on. Beat it.

OP, I have most of my left arm sleeve done except a piece from my elbow to my mid arm. In the last 2 months I've had at least 10 people ask me if I've added to it or what because it looks newer or different. I joke around and say I lost 70 lbs so it just looks bigger. Who knows but mine looks different to other people.

Oh excuse me!! I thought this was a public forum. I thought it was for advice. I must be senile.
    And dont call me Mom. If I were your Mom, I'd slap the cr@p out of you for being such an arrogant, smart mouthed, little twerp.

But since I'm not, I'll just accept the fact that often such a shallow thinker is bound to pollute the board with disgruntled remarks about someone's opinion when they assume it's different than their own.

actually the OP asked for advice on tattoos & weight loss

(from people who have had both)

not opinions on aging and its affects on "novelty" tattoos
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    The OP DID get advice on weight loss and tattoos. She also got information (facts) on aging skin and tattoos. I would think anyone would want to be as educated as possible on the subject if they intend to cover a good part of their bodies with them.

You don't know how many tattoos I already have, or how many I plan to get in the future. I never said I didn't like tattoos. It was just "assumed" that I didn't like them. But even if I had stated, " I don't like tattoos", nobody on this board has the right to say "Beat it". Not to me, and not to YOU.

I really don't understand why anyone would get so defensive about this subject.
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    BTW, Andiroot, you have done an incredible job loosing weight considering your thyroid disease. You are to be commended.
  • klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When you are 22 yrs old and get a cute butterfly tattooed on your breast, it's real cute. When you are 55, it can look more like a caterpillar! And the little "smiley" face on your flat little belly begins to look like a melting frown by then too.

Face it, your body will not stay the same as when you are in your 20's no matter what you do. Everything changes, shifts, moves, enlarges, or goes away. And at 22, you never think it will happen to YOU!!

Moral of this story.... THINK LONG-TERM before you get a novelty tattoo!!!

Thanks mom!! Someone always feels the need to chime in with their personal feelings on questions they weren't asked there opinion on. Beat it.

OP, I have most of my left arm sleeve done except a piece from my elbow to my mid arm. In the last 2 months I've had at least 10 people ask me if I've added to it or what because it looks newer or different. I joke around and say I lost 70 lbs so it just looks bigger. Who knows but mine looks different to other people.

Oh excuse me!! I thought this was a public forum. I thought it was for advice. I must be senile.
    And dont call me Mom. If I were your Mom, I'd slap the cr@p out of you for being such an arrogant, smart mouthed, little twerp.

But since I'm not, I'll just accept the fact that often such a shallow thinker is bound to pollute the board with disgruntled remarks about someone's opinion when they assume it's different than their own.

lmao this is great
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

Thread highjack!

What did you wear to get the *kitten* tattoo? I really don't know what to wear to my appointment.

I wore jeans and dropped my drawers! LOL! I know my artist well but not the 4 other dudes who work in his shop who stood there for 2 hours and watched! :blushing:
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options
    I would like an answer to this as well. I'm not done getting tattooed, but wonder if I should wait before starting on my sleeves? I have about 80-ish pounds yet to lose. The first part I'd get is on my inner forearm. Then I'll build the design from there. Thoughts?

In about 10-15 years your skin texture will change. So will the shape of your arms. If you look closely at the skin of an older person, you will see it starts to look more like crepe paper and not as smooth as in your 20s & 30s. Also, women tend to get that flappy underarm stuff, no matter how we exercise. Age just does something to our upper arms.

Soooo, before you do it, think about what kind of tattoos will look good when they are crinkled and crusty and flapping in the breeze every time you wave to someone. And dont say you wont care by then, because YES YOU WILL TOO!! Just as much as you do now!

I do agree, however the bare skin is going to be gross enough and this is exactly why I'm getting sleeves on both arms (started on one already)...at least it will be colored flappy crusty skin! LMAO!
  • 2aycocks
    Options

I do agree, however the bare skin is going to be gross enough and this is exactly why I'm getting sleeves on both arms (started on one already)...at least it will be colored flappy crusty skin! LMAO!

You got me there.! ha! Kinda like 'tan' fat is prettier than white fat.

Maybe the tattoo shops should start advertising to people over 45ish. You know, cover those unsightly veins on your legs. ha!
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options

Maybe the tattoo shops should start advertising to people over 45ish. You know, cover those unsightly veins on your legs. ha!

LMAO!!! They could incorporate them INTO the tattoo!!! Seriously though, I have a friend in her early 30's and she is starting to cover her whole body. She has that gorgeous porcelin skin but she says she doesn't want to have old ugly skin as she gets older so she is covering it up. I've seen pictures of old people with tattoos and frankly I think they look better than the saggy skin so here I go, getting tattoos also! LOL!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Mine haven't yet.
  • 2aycocks
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

LMAO!!! They could incorporate them INTO the tattoo!!! Seriously though, I have a friend in her early 30's and she is starting to cover her whole body. She has that gorgeous porcelin skin but she says she doesn't want to have old ugly skin as she gets older so she is covering it up. I've seen pictures of old people with tattoos and frankly I think they look better than the saggy skin so here I go, getting tattoos also! LOL!
    [/quote]

Been looking at these legs of mine. Maybe some "well-placed" tattoos on them wouldn't be so bad. ha!
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Other than color fluctuations the skin is remarkably adept at flexing. That being said if you get a tattoo of a gold fish on your belly and gain 200 pounds you'll probably think that the gold fish turned into a whale.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    My noticeable tattoos are located on my arms both of which I got when I was almost 300 pounds. I am not under 200 and my arms have shrunk down beautifully and only made them look better. I'm waiting to finish them as I'm hoping my arms shrink more but other then that no huge difference to the tattoo just the arm.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any appreciable changes in any of my tattoos. This includes one about a foot tall on my ribs that I got 100 lbs ago.
  • chellekjones
    Options
    I have a large tattoo that takes up the bigger part of my back. I got this when I was 18, I'm now 25 and being in the gym is my hobby (it definitely wasn't back then), i went from 155 (not working out) to 210 (at age 22) and now I lift and my body composition is A LOT different. I weight 150 now but mostly muscle. When I got my back done, he did it crooked. Lovely right? The tattoo itself didn't change, but the fact that it is crooked is SO MUCH more noticeable now than it was before. So be that as it is, i would say to anyone that is trying to loose/build muscle/change body comp. that they should wait till they get closer to their goal. I have to get my tattoo covered up now to feel comfortable with it... which will cost a big chunk of change.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about this too. I have big ones on my thighs. My most important one is my whole left thigh in the front (
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have one on my hip that hasn't changed and I've lost at least 8 inches off my hips.
  • Krips1605
    Krips1605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm considering getting a name tattoo with a small design on my side wrist, but I'm also on my weight loss journey and have yet to lose about 30 lbs, which includes toning of my arms. I was wondering if losing weight/toning my arms would affect the way the tattoo looks?

I don't have much to lose around the side wrist part, but I'm definitely looking forward to tone the arms and wrists, so I'm a bit concerned about whether to get a tattoo done now or not.

Can someone please share their insight on this? Thank you.