Running in the winter/dark

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

"Enjoyable" and "Rewarding" are not typically words I associate with snow and ice. You guys are all crazy lol.

What can I say....I`m Canadian, eh! (Winter is one of my favourite seasons......)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Probably not an option, but there are "different" treadmills. I have had mine for ten years and I will pay to have it fixed as often as needed (I have an extra motor even just in case). It is a special one NordicTrak made that has a bamboo-looking "Flex" deck that gives about 3 inches up and down. It is shaped like an arc, not the kind you see at gyms. I can run about 2 miles on a regular treadmill before my hips and knees complain. I can run at least 6 on this one, and the only thing preventing me from running farther is complete boredom.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    There is a running store near me that does a group run every week which I would LOVE to participate in, but I'm painfully slow and I think they run at like a 10 minute/mile pace. I'm 12 on a good day.

i've thought the same thing "oh, i can't go run with them, they're faster than me." and every time i go, i end up getting proven wrong. sure, there are people way faster than me, but i've never been the slowest. and the only way to get faster is to run with faster people.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    There is a running store near me that does a group run every week which I would LOVE to participate in, but I'm painfully slow and I think they run at like a 10 minute/mile pace. I'm 12 on a good day.

Give them a call and check it out. I`ll bet they have groups running at different paces (everywhere from Learn to Run groups to competitive distance runners)

• BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How about a nearby park? My nearest one is well-lit and has football practice there in the evenings, so there's plenty of people around.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for a couple years and would always limit my running in the winter. This year, I've started getting up at 5:30 to go run instead of trying to do it after work. It is still dark, but more daylight time during the run than if I wait until I get out at 5pm. Plus, there is way less traffic at this hour, and I feel safer on the road.

I bought some blinky arm bands to wear and I spend the bulk of my run on courses where there are other runners out and away from traffic. So far it is working out great for me, and it's a fantastic feeling to knock out 3 or 4 miles first thing and then be done for the day! Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Also, I see a couple folks have already mentioned this, but just to second the idea... check out parks, college campuses, and tracks in your area. You'll probably find they are well lit and populated at any hour!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I just end up running in the dark.

My neighborhood does not have frequent streetlights and it does have terribly heaved sidewalks from the old trees, so I run in the street against traffic or I will end up doing a faceplant on the sidewalk.

During the week, I'm fortunate enough to have a run/walk/bike trail near me, so that is where I go. Always someone else using the trail, even at 4am. I don't think I've ever gone more than a couple of minutes without passing or being passed by somebody.

During the weekends, no such luck, so I just run on the street and keep a sharp eye out for cars and coyotes. Coyotes here are not dangerous to people who leave them alone (lots of bunnies around to keep them satiated), but there's no point in antagonizing them by accidentally running too close - they'll let you get almost to touching distance.

If it's below freezing like this morning (no appropriate clothing) or precipitating (will ruin my headphones), I use my gym's indoor track which is a total PITA because it's so short. But, it gets the job done and I'm even less fond of the treadmill, so ...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run outside no matter what.... the treadmill is a last ditch desperation option... and at my gym you have to run 19 laps on the indoor track to get a mile. I ran 8 miles on it one time. I will NEVER do that again....lol
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Indoor track .. find one near you :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Asherah29 wrote: »
    It's kind of scary, especially since I run out in the country vs in a lighted town but ya gotta go what ya gotta do. Safety 1st... or 3rd... or whatever.
    Lol!

I run outside on country roads or trails all winter too... I do all my weekday runs around 4:30 in the morning. I think bad guys tend to stay up late rather than get up early, so in my mind its safer to run in the morning. Of course, being an old guy plowing along the road, I'm not exactly a target for crime. It's more likely that I will seen as prey for some creature that thinks I'm slow and wounded...

Yes! I'm far more worried about marauding bears than I am people! I'm slow and I just imagine some critter would think... that slow, weird, two legged deer would make a perfect supper.

• vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I jog at a church's activity center in my town; they have an indoor track upstairs from their basketball courts. maybe there is something like that in your area too. plus, it's totally free.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Reflective gear and a headlamp. If you're worried about animals, carry pepper spray. I've run alone, on country roads for 15+ years. I can't live my life in fear, I want to run so I run.
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    amy0louise wrote: »
    Re the snow comments- snow is fine but how does everyone cope with ice or black ice in winter? I had a head injury a year ago so probably have an irrational fear or slipping and hurting my head again.

If it is an actual ice storm, I reschedule my run. If I'm at home and the roads are clear from snow, but slick, then I still go out, but my pace is a LOT slower than normal, because I am very careful of my footing. If the roads have snow/slush, then I run, but my pace is determined by how slick it is. At camp with the hardpack (snow that has been compressed into 2-3 inches of ice) on the campground roads, I use my yaktrax, and for the most part can run either at or just slightly under my normal pace. :)

But really....we're dealing with actual snow 95% of the time here....we're usually too cold for ice/black ice from mid-Dec to early March (our potentially icy times are usually Nov and end of march).
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Stick to snow or dry roads. Snow can actually aid traction, especially if you've got decent shoes.

Also, shorten your stride to keep your weight more over your feet (i.e. keep your feet under you) and you'll be less apt to slip.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of ice here. I fell down three times last winter when I was unfit and a lot heavier. Now that I run I am stronger, more agile, and I wear ice cleats.

http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/review-ice-cleats

Thanks for the tips! Good points about pace and weight distribution, and had no idea ice cleats existed, cool
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I used to run a lot more than I do now, I wore reflective clothing, had yaktrax for snow and ice, and ran in areas with at least a few streetlights so I could see my footing... one of those headlamps was never for me. I also brought my big black pit bull with me, and she was definitely a deterrent to anyone that may have been tryna holla. She saw a lot better in the dark than I did, so as long as I kept the leash short and kept her close to me, I never stumbled/tripped on anything. I ran after dark at night, I could just never wake up early enough in the winter to go out in the bitter cold to get a run in before work when I was training for a full marathon, evenings seemed a little less chilly lol. I never lived near a place with a readily available indoor track, so I have never run on one.

And if your dog is a puller/sniffer, they get used to going on runs with you the more often you take them with you. Give them a few minutes to sniff around before you start running, and then they start to get into the mindset that when they are running with you, they are "working" - my pup eventually learned commands for "stop", "turn left", "turn right", "slow down", stuff like that because we were outside very consistently. And if you're running somewhere with a lot of salt and sand on the roadway or sidewalk, wipe the pup's feet off when you get back in the house :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I either run around the neighborhood (street lights) or pathway around a nearby park which is lit.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'll put the following disclaimer in my response - I live in California, so I'm able to run virtually year round. I also live in a relatively safe area.

I work the exact same hours as you - and have to be out the door to take my son to school and get to work on time by 7:30a. So I do the following to run in the early AM (I won't get it done in the evenings).
    • Set the alarm for 5am
    • Lay the work out gear out the night before
    • I wear a reflective vest (that has red flashing lights on it if I light it up, but only do that for foggy days)
    • Wear knuckle lights, so I can see the road and others can see me.
    • I do wear headphones for music, but I leave it low
    • I use the Road ID app and it texts my husband when I'm on the road, where I am (so he can follow me) and sends an SOS if I'm stationary for too long.

I love my morning runs, now if only I could get back into the routine and get to training for my race in January!
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't have problem in running at night I trained also at midnight cause my job kept me busy, I am very ok and I think that even no training partner you just go on paths were other runners go, if you are a runner you run, to approach you they have to run either.... Never had problems

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    For snow and ice: If snow cleats like Yaktrax Run or Stabilicers are too spendy, you can always make your own screw shoes.

More generally, I live in the country, so my concerns when running in the dark are not being hit by drivers who don't see me or who are impaired, and seeing the road well enough to avoid obstacles (and skunks!). I wear a reflective belt with LEDs on the front and back, and I run with a headlamp that also has red blinky LEDs on the back. (Black Diamond Sprinter – the new 2015 model that's available from EMS and MEC.)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm a 51yr old female & I work very similar hours & when I get home around 4pm it's just getting dark. I run around my small town's streets - I wear a fluorescent tabard with reflective strips, plus reflective 'snap bands' on my ankles. Most of it is on pavements, with good streetlights, but a couple of sections are on the road (I run facing the oncoming traffic).

I have a phone with me and use the Endomondo running app. It allows my partner (at home) to track my position (live) on a map using GPS, so he always knows exactly where I am. In fact the app allows 'pep talks' from him, lol! He types in what he wants to say & it gets transcribed into a voice message I hear when I'm running ;)