In your 20s without much to lose?

Options
maria0elisa
maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
Hello!
Just wondering if there is anyone else here who is a student or working in their 20s who is on here to lose around 5kgs (10lbs) or who is just maintaining.
It seems there are a lot of people on here who are all a little older with kids, and it would be nice to chat with someone with similar lifestyle and goals to me.
My stats:
I'm 23
I am 166cm/ 5'4"
Highest weight: 65kg/ 143lbs
Current weight: 50kg/ 109lbs
Goal weight: 45kg/ 100lbs
Calorie target: 1350 per day (Sit at a desk for studying but I go running once/twice a week)
I eat a mainly veggie diet with some chicken/fish. I don't eat red meat.

At the moment I go running once/twice a week with a 5k time of 25min and a 10k time of 54min.
I'm looking to lose the last 5kg and my slight belly, and to get lean and toned. I'm not really looking to bulk up or lift weights.

I'm a student in my last year of uni and I've been eating healthily for a year (on mfp for 6 months) after my exchange time in Germany involved a little too much beer and partying and a little too few times exercising..!
I'm pretty into music as well.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I fit into this category!

27, 5'6"
    SW: 141
    CW: 129 (maybe more after Thanksgiving & my birthday last week LOL)
    GW: low 120s, I think
    Cals: 1650 per day, using IIFYM

I loooove to work out--my workouts are usually some combo of lifting, running, calisthenics, and yoga. I'm a graduate student.

I feel compelled to say that your goal weight would put you underweight by BMI. Maybe think about eating a bit more/maintaining and lifting, rather than losing?
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I fit into this category!

27, 5'6"
    SW: 141
    CW: 129 (maybe more after Thanksgiving & my birthday last week LOL)
    GW: low 120s, I think
    Cals: 1650 per day, using IIFYM

I loooove to work out--my workouts are usually some combo of lifting, running, calisthenics, and yoga. I'm a graduate student.

I feel compelled to say that your goal weight would put you underweight by BMI. Maybe think about eating a bit more/maintaining and lifting, rather than losing?
    Hey! Oh great, thanks for your reply!
    Yeah, thanks for pointing that out!
    I have that as my 'goal weight' just because that's the weight I would like to hit before starting to maintain, because I've heard you should expect to gain a little bit when you start maintenance- so it's better to aim for a maintenance 'range'?

So really my 'goal maintenance range' (not as snappy haha) is between 105-120lbs. :) Hope that sounds a little more realistic!

Haha really feel for you on thanksgiving and the bday! Would it be ok if I added you? :)
  • SanguineMelancholy
    Options
    Me too! I'm in my last year of my undergrad, work as a bartender,and am trying to lose about 10 pounds.
    I'm 23, 5'5"
    SW: 145
    CW: 122
    GW: 110-112

I love cardio (elliptical), yoga, and some light lifting. I am starting a "Winter Break 30 day fitness challenge" Did you guys want to do it together? Not sure how busy you're holidays are. My goal is full (1 hour) workouts 5 days a week, and 30 minute strength training on weekends.

• stellamozzarrella
    Options
    Hey :) I'm 23, just finished studying, working full time. My currently goal is to lose around 8kg, but I'm more focused on fat loss than overall weight loss, so I'd be happy to maintain and tone.

Height: 165cm
    Highest weight: 70kg/ 154lbs
    Current weight: 63kg/ 138lbs
    Goal weight: 55kg/ 121lbs
    Calorie target: Currently set at 1100 and eating back exercise cals, which works out to around 1300 a day.

Feel free to add me! I need more friends to motivate me. ^_^
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Me too! I'm in my last year of my undergrad, work as a bartender,and am trying to lose about 10 pounds.
    I'm 23, 5'5"
    SW: 145
    CW: 122
    GW: 110-112

I love cardio (elliptical), yoga, and some light lifting. I am starting a "Winter Break 30 day fitness challenge" Did you guys want to do it together? Not sure how busy you're holidays are. My goal is full (1 hour) workouts 5 days a week, and 30 minute strength training on weekends.
    Hey :) I'm 23, just finished studying, working full time. My currently goal is to lose around 8kg, but I'm more focused on fat loss than overall weight loss, so I'd be happy to maintain and tone.

Height: 165cm
    Highest weight: 70kg/ 154lbs
    Current weight: 63kg/ 138lbs
    Goal weight: 55kg/ 121lbs
    Calorie target: Currently set at 1100 and eating back exercise cals, which works out to around 1300 a day.

Feel free to add me! I need more friends to motivate me. ^_^

Hi you two! Great!! :) so pleased to find people because none of my family/friends are very into healthy eating and I think it's quite awkward to bring up the subject of weight loss without offending people who might think you're trying to hint to them..!

thanks for the add sanguine m! I've tried to add you Stella, hope it worked.

The workout plan sounds like an amazing way to beat the holiday period!! Unfortunately I have some exams just before Christmas so I don't think il have time to do a workout every day but I admire you taking that on..!
    How about if you just message me to tell me what you've done? Then you've got someone to report back to and be accountable for?! And I'll tell you when I've done my weekly run ha. :)
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'm 23, 163cm

SW: 99kg/ 218 lbs
    CW: 59 kg/130 lbs
    GW: 50 kg/110 lbs

Like Stella, I'm more focussed on losing fat and getting leaner more than losing overall weight.

Have really lost motivation the last 2 months so please feel free to add me so we can all motivate each other! :)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    Count me in! I'm 23, 163cm

SW: 99kg/ 218 lbs
    CW: 59 kg/130 lbs
    GW: 50 kg/110 lbs

Like Stella, I'm more focussed on losing fat and getting leaner more than losing overall weight.

Have really lost motivation the last 2 months so please feel free to add me so we can all motivate each other! :)

Hey!! Oh great :) added you too- on my phone atm with weak wifi so let me know if it hasn't worked!

Oh my god you've done so well!! Congratulations!!

Yeah I guess I only want to keep losing a tiny bit because a have a sliiight belly still! Other than that am not wanting to lose loads.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    24, 5'4.5", 125-130 lbs, maintaining.
    Working on trying to do a body recomp. :)
    I do a lot of bodyweight exercising, both cardio and strength, and some other "non-traditional" stuff (as in, I effing hate running. a lot).
    I love food.
  • oriana1990
    oriana1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Similar age but a lot more to lose - around 30lb >.< bah humbug! Good luck all
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 23! 5'8" but trying to lose a *bit* more than 10 pounds (depending on how I look...)
    SW: 162
    CW: 159
    GW: 150? 140? less? we'll see...

I like running, swimming, and spinning. I enjoy lifting but I don't do it as often as I'd like because I feel like a wimp!
    I really need motivation. I'm a music teacher and I seem to use long days and rehearsals as excuses to not go to the gym...
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey!! Oh great :) added you too- on my phone atm with weak wifi so let me know if it hasn't worked!

Oh my god you've done so well!! Congratulations!!

Yeah I guess I only want to keep losing a tiny bit because a have a sliiight belly still! Other than that am not wanting to lose loads.

Awesome, it worked!

Thank you!! :)

My reasoning is the same, need to get rid of that belly! When do your exams finish up? Do you have any plans to keep in check over Christmas?

This thread is great! It really is good to have some other 20-somethings to chat to :)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    24, 5'4.5", 125-130 lbs, maintaining.
    Working on trying to do a body recomp. :)
    I do a lot of bodyweight exercising, both cardio and strength, and some other "non-traditional" stuff (as in, I effing hate running. a lot).
    I love food.

Okay will add you!:) what cardio do you do? Aha don't we all- nice thing about MFP is that you can enjoy it!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    oriana1990 wrote: »
    Similar age but a lot more to lose - around 30lb >.< bah humbug! Good luck all
    30lb isn't lots at all- that's what I've done since starting and it's only been 6 or so months! You can do it!
    Good luck to you too!! :)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I'm 23! 5'8" but trying to lose a *bit* more than 10 pounds (depending on how I look...)
    SW: 162
    CW: 159
    GW: 150? 140? less? we'll see...

I like running, swimming, and spinning. I enjoy lifting but I don't do it as often as I'd like because I feel like a wimp!
    I really need motivation. I'm a music teacher and I seem to use long days and rehearsals as excuses to not go to the gym...

Okay great!:) Yeah that must be hard. Long busy days could be good for distraction though?
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    Awesome, it worked!

Thank you!! :)

My reasoning is the same, need to get rid of that belly! When do your exams finish up? Do you have any plans to keep in check over Christmas?

This thread is great! It really is good to have some other 20-somethings to chat to :)
    Ah I'm glad!!
    Yeah it's so tough- I'm happy with the rest of me but it seems to be the last place I'll lose! Gotta keep up with it though...!

I'll be done around the 15th which will be nice! Yes I'm a bit concerned about Christmas as it will be my first year watching my weight over that period!!

So I think my plan so far is to have 3 complete days off (but still logged!) 24/5/6, and then I think I'm going to just aim for maintenance around the rest of those two Christmassy weeks (especially those strange days between Xmas and nye ha).
    I think this will be more achievable than expecting myself to stick to normal calorie goals? And this way I'll hopefully not blow it completely...

What are your strategies?! Would be very interested to know!
  • baldnavywife
    baldnavywife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 23 and 5'1
    My Current weight is 129.8 lbs
    goal is 125 by Jan 2015
    ultimate goal weight is 120 by February
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Hi I'm 23 and 5'1
    My Current weight is 129.8 lbs
    goal is 125 by Jan 2015
    ultimate goal weight is 120 by February
    Ok great will add you!:)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I'm gonna go to sleep now cus I live in the UK.
    Anyone else feel free to add me and I'll get back to you tomorrow!!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I lied- just wanna post one more quick thing while I remember before I go:

Can those of you who don't mind sharing your diaries change your settings to 'friends only' so that we can view it? I didn't realise til just now that the default is completely private. I don't seem to be able to view quite a few of your diaries.

Would love to see any new ideas for stuff to eat because I've got into a definite routine lately and I might get bored of it very soon haha.

• maria0elisa
    Options
    (If you you already knew this and don't wanna share your diaries that's cool though. Just wanted to mention it in case anyone else wasn't aware about the default settings)