Greek yogurt or protein powder?

Options
Need some suggestions and input. I make a smoothie every morning that consists of one scoop protein powder, water, a cup of protein shake (b0lthouse farms), and 1/3 cup heavy cream. The protein powder I use is vegan and quite pricey; ideally I would like to move away from using this since it is a (to me) specialty item (we order it online and it can be a pain to always have it on hand). Another option I have played with is substituting Greek yogurt for the protein powder. Here's where my questions come in: a $50 tub of protein powder gets me about 25 servings. $42 gets me 24 servings of yogurt. So, small bit of savings by using the yogurt. However, the powder supplies 26g protein per serving, the yogurt 20g. But the yogurt is higher in calories as well as carbs. I have to struggle to reach all my macro goals every day, but protein is the hardest for me.
What do you think? Make the switch to the yogurt, saving a few bucks but sacrificing some easy protein grams? Is the gain in calories and carbs from using the yogurt a good tradeoff for the protein?
Here's the stats lined up:
protein powder- $50; 25 servings; 131 calories; 26g protein; 5g carbs
yogurt- $42; 24 servings; 180 calories; 20g protein; 25g carbs

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    buy the yogurt- add the protein to the yogurt- win win everywhere.

I mean the numbers are right there- if you are already struggling to hit protein- switching to a lower protein object to save exactly 8$ seems nonsensical to me.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and 7 g lemon sf/ff Jell-o pudding mix with smashed raspberries, best post workout treat ever!
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I mean the numbers are right there- if you are already struggling to hit protein- switching to a lower protein object to save exactly 8$ seems nonsensical to me.

=D I've been reading the forum for a while now and love your posts JoRocka! I had the feeling this would be exactly what you would tell me =D
    One concern is the expense, but I suppose when this is my health we are talking about, I probably should go the extra mile at least until I reach a decent healthy weight.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I go one step farther. I add protein powder to plain greek yogurt to flavor it (along with SF syrups), then I add protein crunchies to it too :) Like adding granola but pure protein... I use Body 360 Body Crunch Whey Protein Crunchies. They come in natural (no taste really) and cocoa. My 1/2 cup yogurt ends up with 3x the protein and I like it crunchy.

My fave most days - plain greek yogurt, vanilla ice cream flavored protein powder, and egg nog flavored SF syrup with crunchies... yummy pudding with crunch :)
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Check to see what, if any, protein may be added to the greek yogurt. Stay away from the whey and go for casein protein.
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    Awesome ideas! But the cost was my main concern. Aiming for easy, drinkable, budget-friendly protein bolus.

aylajane, what is SF syrup?
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm scratching my head because I'm confused, please excuse me for asking. I'm reading over and again the "heavy cream" part and just wondering how that fits into a healthier diet? I am an avid baker and cook of many "bad" things and many of those things I use heavy cream because of taste and thickness because of the fat content. When I changed eating, that was one of the big "no no". I've substituted plain Greek yogurt for meals and protein shakes but never heard of heavy cream?? Can you just clarify why or what the reasoning would be? Thanks.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    LianaG1115 wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head because I'm confused, please excuse me for asking. I'm reading over and again the "heavy cream" part and just wondering how that fits into a healthier diet? I am an avid baker and cook of many "bad" things and many of those things I use heavy cream because of taste and thickness because of the fat content. When I changed eating, that was one of the big "no no". I've substituted plain Greek yogurt for meals and protein shakes but never heard of heavy cream?? Can you just clarify why or what the reasoning would be? Thanks.

I'm not OP, but I would assume it's just to add some extra calories to the shake. This is the gaining weight forum, so OP is probably try to get a lot of calories every day. Plus, cream is yummy!

As to the original question, I'm with the "why not both" mentality. I understand cost is a concern but if you get both, and then use HALF of each in your shake, you still save a little money and you can go longer between ordering the protein powder. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my head.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm curious - why vegan protein powder ? With cream in your diet, it doesn't seem like you're lactose intolerant or have a problem with dairy, so why not just buy a decent whey or casein powder ? :smile:

Seeing as this is the gaining weight forum, perhaps even consider something like skim milk powder instead, so you get the protein and some extra carbs as well, or perhaps just simply milk, although not sure how that stacks up economically compared to your current costs :smile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

=D I've been reading the forum for a while now and love your posts JoRocka! I had the feeling this would be exactly what you would tell me =D
    One concern is the expense, but I suppose when this is my health we are talking about, I probably should go the extra mile at least until I reach a decent healthy weight.

If you aren't going to eat this way forever, why do it now?
    Why buy the 50$ protein powder now and stop once you hit your goal weight?

Also, why buy vegan protein powder especially when you aren't vegan?
    You're using heavy cream and Bolthouse Farms stuff (which btw, I bet you could find a cheaper substitute for that since that *kitten* is pricey) and are contemplating Greek yogurt...

Another idea if money is a concern, make your own Greek yogurt. It's cheaper in the long run.

• honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I always use "Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey Protein - Double rich chocolate flavour (5lb)" for $57 --- 77 servings, 120calories, 24g protein, 3g carbs

I mix this into 1cup "Silk Soy Milk - Original Light" --- 60calories, 6g protein, 5g carbs
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    I'm scratching my head because I'm confused, please excuse me for asking. I'm reading over and again the "heavy cream" part and just wondering how that fits into a healthier diet? Can you just clarify why or what the reasoning would be? Thanks.

Weight gain. I need the fat and calories desperately to try to get into the healthy BMI range. At this point I go for whatever I can get down that won't affect my gastrointestinal disease too much.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    c8u3a2oepzeg.jpg

I do a scoop of protein powder in 1/2 c Greek yogurt for lunch almost every day. I may or may not add berries depending on if I have extra carbs to spend for the day.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm scratching my head because I'm confused, please excuse me for asking. I'm reading over and again the "heavy cream" part and just wondering how that fits into a healthier diet? Can you just clarify why or what the reasoning would be? Thanks.

Weight gain. I need the fat and calories desperately to try to get into the healthy BMI range. At this point I go for whatever I can get down that won't affect my gastrointestinal disease too much.

That makes a lot more sense.

I still vote for doing the math on making your own Greek yogurt and if whatever GI issue you have can handle regular protein powder, look into Optimum Nutrition
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    I did a little research into the ingredients of the different powders, and it seemed like most of them contained sugars (corn) or fake sugars that my gut will not handle. I went with the vegan because it was the safest for my problematic gut without me spending months looking for another, cheaper alternative, as I wanted to jump start into being very serious and dedicated to packing on the pounds.

Yes, for right now I am kinda going an expensive route, and working towards a more sustainable and budget-friendly menu plan. I have a LOT of restrictions I have to work around.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Ohhhhh OK I was so confused. That makes lots more sense.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you don't specifically need that brand of powder, I'd look for a less expensive one. $50 for 25 servings is really pricey. But I also say stir the powder into the greek yogurt and get a double protein whammy.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would say do both, for me eating the same thing every day, day in day out soon get boring. having as much variety as I can keeps me motivated.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I also mix them together. I use the unflavored isolate, so,mixing that in with plain yogurt, a little maple syrup and a couple TBSP of sliced almonds works great for me. It's not a smoothie, though. My homemade full,fat Greek Yogurt is as thick as sour cream. It's mostly protein and enough fat to balance out the carbs from the yogurt and maple syrup.