Greek yogurt or protein powder?

Options

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I did a little research into the ingredients of the different powders, and it seemed like most of them contained sugars (corn) or fake sugars that my gut will not handle. I went with the vegan because it was the safest for my problematic gut without me spending months looking for another, cheaper alternative, as I wanted to jump start into being very serious and dedicated to packing on the pounds.

Yes, for right now I am kinda going an expensive route, and working towards a more sustainable and budget-friendly menu plan. I have a LOT of restrictions I have to work around.

Just so you know, you can buy unflavoured protein powders, which shouldn't have the problematic sugars you mention.. I've bought unflavoured whey before, and have a massive sack of milk protein concentrate on the way currently. You can even flavour them yourselves if you want (I found cocoa powder and a little sugar makes a nice chocolate flavour) :smile:

• Crush some Peanut Butter dude
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Just have both; high protein combo and sugar isn't much. In fact, add some honey, and fruit. Now I want a whey smoothie.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    LianaG1115 wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head because I'm confused, please excuse me for asking. I'm reading over and again the "heavy cream" part and just wondering how that fits into a healthier diet? I am an avid baker and cook of many "bad" things and many of those things I use heavy cream because of taste and thickness because of the fat content. When I changed eating, that was one of the big "no no". I've substituted plain Greek yogurt for meals and protein shakes but never heard of heavy cream?? Can you just clarify why or what the reasoning would be? Thanks.

Fat isn't bad for you, and doesn't make you fat, just as eating cholesterol doesn't lead to high cholesterol levels in healthy people. These are things that laypeople (and doctors who couldn't be bothered to read about nutritional science) incorrectly believed in the '80s, but that no serious medical professional has believed in 30 years.

• slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yogurt isn't vegan. It sound's like your only buying vegan protein powder for medical reasons. Try finding a different protein powder (cheaper and non-vegan) that won't have negative effect on your stomach. Check out Now Foods protein powder, it's all natural and doesn't have many additives .
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    buy the yogurt- add the protein to the yogurt- win win everywhere.

I mean the numbers are right there- if you are already struggling to hit protein- switching to a lower protein object to save exactly 8$ seems nonsensical to me.

=D I've been reading the forum for a while now and love your posts JoRocka! I had the feeling this would be exactly what you would tell me =D
    One concern is the expense, but I suppose when this is my health we are talking about, I probably should go the extra mile at least until I reach a decent healthy weight.
    YAY!!!

BOTH!!!

I second adding berries- so delicious. or throw in heavy cream on top!! WIN WIN!!!

Try looking for some of the no sugar added- Optimum Gold standard makes it (I think it is AWFUL compared to the regular one- but that's b/c it wasn't as sweet and smooth- regardless- it exists)

Do some more hunting- I bet you can find a cheaper protein source. Can you drink milk? That's a great source of protein as well.

Gut issues can be tricky- but if the yogurt works- and the protein works- I'd focus on that... and just eating more of the same crap you are- you just need MORE of everything if you're trying to gain- and with a problematic GI track- anything you can eat- eat more of- and then eat some more.

the struggle can be real!!! I feel you!! :D
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Awesome ideas! But the cost was my main concern. Aiming for easy, drinkable, budget-friendly protein bolus.

aylajane, what is SF syrup?

Sugar free syrups - like Toriani or Davinci. They come in just about every flavor you can imagine - so I stock up on vanilla protein powders and use these to change the flavor. Most are made with splenda.
    It also helps thin out the yogurt if you prefer to drink it.

I also buy the Premier Protein Ready to Drink (RTD) vanilla protein shakes at costco - 30g protein in 11 oz. I use these in place of water or milk when making protein shakes, powders, oatmeal, a bowl of cereal, etc. Adds more protein and basically tastes like vanilla milk. In fact, my fave right now is Life cereal - maple and brown sugar, with 3 oz protein shake milk stuff instead of real milk (8-9g protein added to the carbs of the cereal). The case from costco lasts me awhile as I dont drink it straight usually.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Lately I have started using PB2. It's powdered peanut butter with most of the fat removed. It tastes good and has protein and is only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. It doesn't cost a fortune either. Wonderful in banana smoothies!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal that you're having a hard time reaching?
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For 24 servings of 'Dry curd cottage cheese' (22 g protein, 110 calories, low sodium too) for 125g serving) you would need 6 tubs @ $5.00 each. $30.00
    It's another option for you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    shartran wrote: »
    For 24 servings of 'Dry curd cottage cheese' (22 g protein, 110 calories, low sodium too) for 125g serving) you would need 6 tubs @ $5.00 each. $30.00
    It's another option for you.

I love cottage cheese. I just wish it weren't so high in sodium. I save my sodium for hard cheeses and eat yogurt instead.

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My solution to the problem would be getting a less expensive protein powder (whey protein, since you are already having lots of dairy) and adding it to a full-fat Greek yogurt.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    My solution to the problem would be getting a less expensive protein powder (whey protein, since you are already having lots of dairy) and adding it to a full-fat Greek yogurt.

Whey is dairy.

I'm still waiting to find out what the protein goal is. Might not need any supps.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid as much dairy as possible. I do vegan protein powder in almond or flax milk.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Lately I have started using PB2. It's powdered peanut butter with most of the fat removed. It tastes good and has protein and is only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. It doesn't cost a fortune either. Wonderful in banana smoothies!

It's absolutely not powdered peanut butter. It's just powder. Removing the fat from peanut butter, no thanks. You realize you are also in the weight gain forum right?
    It is good if you sprinkle it on chocolate ice cream. As an actual substitute for peanut butter, not so much.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm the most "anti-chemical" none person ever- bring on the chemicals. But even eating that stuff scares me.

Plus- it's just not the same. And if you're trying to gain- I don't know why you wouldn't juts pile on the peanut butter. or regular butter- or pumpkin butter- or almond butter- or apple butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What's your protein goal? What are you other meals and snacks like? I'm just wondering if you can up your protein more economically than using a protein shake supplement.
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    What is your daily protein goal that you're having a hard time reaching?

Goals are: 2070 cal; 259 carbs; 69 fat; 104 protein

This was for gaining while still doing some cardio and weights.

I primarily aim for meeting my calories and protein; currently not sweating the small stuff (fat, sodium, etc.).

• Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What's your protein goal? What are you other meals and snacks like? I'm just wondering if you can up your protein more economically than using a protein shake supplement.
    Protein goal is 104g. Yes, I'm working toward a good menu plan that is TLC on my diseased gut plus gets me tons of calories so I can work out. I tend away from meat in general, just don't like it all that much, plus it is so expensive with a larger family. So the protein shake was/is just a quick and easy shortcut initially.