Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    8493628.gif
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I read that if they are green then that's not good. I have been experimenting with potatoes lately as I like French fries that taste almost like potatoes. I stick my potatoes in the microwave for about 7 minutes with a little water and eat them.

A potato will turn green on the surface if it has been exposed to the sun while growing. You would be full and unable to eat more before you would ever consume enough to harm you.

I used to pick over a potato field when i was younger. There was a farmer who let us have potatoes for free after he ran the comb through and smaller potatoes were left behind. After the first run, those smaller potatoes were almost always right and the surface and exposed so they weren't ideal for selling because they weren't pretty anymore.

I think it's chlorophyll and I trust the farmer who fed the same potatoes to his family.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I would eat raw potatoes with salt on them at my Grandma's house for a snack. That now sounds very unappetizing. This is all I have to contribute to this conversation, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can't say I know of any good reason to eat potatoes raw. However, if you're looking for something with a similar bite and texture, raw jicama is good. You can even make a sort of "cole slaw" with julienne jicama, carrots, and whatever else you may like (mmm, ginger would go good with this). Dress with oil, lemon juice, and season to taste.

+1

Also raw turnips are good, and kohlrabi.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Love raw potatoes. Must be that Irish blood. ;)

Same Here! I especially enjoy the red ones.

I have been known to pick potatoes out of the ground, wipe them off on my shirt and just eat like an apple

I love raw potatoes also, I grow them in the garden and have been eating them for years, also love raw onions, raw peppers, corn, anything I grow I will eat raw. I dont make a whole meal of them and will only eat like half a one at a time.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Shrug- I like raw potatoes- sweet and red I can eat more of- the white ones I can only eat about a 1/4-1/2 if I'm really eating them_ I think they are delicious!!!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love raw potatoes w/garlic and salt. In small quantities I think they are ok. A co-worker of mine tried to tell me they were poisonous or not good for me, but I'm still here and healthy :smiley:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

It's actually the green potato which produces solanine. The skin turns green from chlorophyll, but the green peels are a good indicator that solanine is present. When the potato begins to sprout, solanine production occurs.