Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Replies

• stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    One time I'm happy to be below average :)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    All I got out of this was a huge portion of the world doesn't lift. :|
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    All I got out of this was a huge portion of the world doesn't lift. :|

ROFL, that's an interesting take away! :D
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    This may be FFGS (former fat girl syndrome), but I have a very tough time believing that 2/3 of women in my age group are fatter than I am.

2/3 lower than the US, 2/3 higher than the world, and would add double digit millions if everyone were like me (but if everyone were like me, they'd all be losing, too.)

Starting weight was fatter than 99%. So Yay on weight loss, but OMG, what I was!

This doesn't say much for the US, which isn't news, I guess, but yikes.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all! I get BMI but it says I am heavier than 98% of the women in Canada from 19-26 but I know for a fact there's a lot of women out there still bigger than me, and there's also a lot a bigger women in the US too. I cannot be heavier than 98% of the population in Canada . . . there's something off about this.

For the record, I'm 5'9, 250lbs with 34% BF

My guess would be that at 5'9 you wear your weight well and see other, chubbier looking women all time who don't wear their weight well but might be technically a lower BMI/weight than you?
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    That was fun. Thanks for posting that.

lol at captain thread crapper.

Awesome! I'm glad somebody said it! Every thread I read, there he is, being super negative!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Maybe it's how we perceive ourselves; I perceive myself to be medium size (BMI of 21). But this tool actually shows that compared to others, we're not medium. I think that maybe our perception of ourselves is a bit skewed.

For the record, I do lift weights on a progressive program. I have a relatively low body fat for my age as well.
    That's a great point. It really does say a lot about our perspectives, as I would say (at 21.5, and fit for my age) that I'm "medium" or "average" as well. Interesting.

Agreed. My BMI is 21. I tend to think of myself as normal sized- fit but not really skinny- and other people are always calling me "tiny."
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Well now I feel super fat.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all! I get BMI but it says I am heavier than 98% of the women in Canada from 19-26 but I know for a fact there's a lot of women out there still bigger than me, and there's also a lot a bigger women in the US too. I cannot be heavier than 98% of the population in Canada . . . there's something off about this.

For the record, I'm 5'9, 250lbs with 34% BF

My guess would be that at 5'9 you wear your weight well and see other, chubbier looking women all time who don't wear their weight well but might be technically a lower BMI/weight than you?

There aren't as many women as tall/taller than me than are shorter than me - I will say that. I suppose perhaps I wear it differently than others, as in my sizing is smaller . . . like I went from a 22 to a 16. I dropped from 57% BF too . . . so maybe. I don't know . . . just depressing lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    ndj1979, to answer, yes I do lift. Not super-super heavy, but basically I lift as heavy as I can and the improvements come slowly but surely. I have visible quad definition, and other muscles are starting to show also.

interesting...

how long have you been lifting for?

I am just curious, as BMI tends to put people with more muscle mass in the "over weight to obese" category, I guess it would put people with less muscle mass into the "skinny" category ..

not trying to call you skinny fat or anything...I just think it is an interesting dichotomy...

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    stetienne wrote: »
    One time I'm happy to be below average :)

Me too.

I have a lower BMI than 91% of females in my country and age group, and a lower BMI than 73% of females in my age group in the world. If everyone in the world had the same BMI as I do, it would remove 25,518,535 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

When I joined MFP I was lower than 80% in the US average and lower than 53% worldwide.

This was very interesting.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 85% of males aged 30-44 in your country

You're most like someone from Djibouti*
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    I'm 5'4

Start: BMI 30, higher than 91% of women 19-25 in the UK / 97% worldwide. Most like someone from Barbados (175lb)

Current: BMI 27, higher than 72% of women 19-25 in the UK / 88% worldwide. Most like someone from Kuwait (157lb)

Goal: BMI 20, lower than 86% of women 19-25 in the UK / 63% worldwide. Most like someone from Liberia (119lb)

• cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    "You have a lower BMI than 97% of females aged 15-29 in your country."

gosh.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979, to answer, yes I do lift. Not super-super heavy, but basically I lift as heavy as I can and the improvements come slowly but surely. I have visible quad definition, and other muscles are starting to show also.

interesting...

I am just curious, as BMI tends to put people with more muscle mass in the "over weight to obese" category, I guess it would put people with less muscle mass into the "skinny" category ..

not trying to call you skinny fat or anything...I just think it is an interesting dichotomy...

I wonder if that applies more towards men. I know that, as a 46 year old woman, I'd be hard pressed to ever gain enough muscle to put me into the overweight category. And I'm not skinny fat.

Interesting...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

interesting...

I wonder if that applies more towards men. I know that, as a 46 year old woman, I'd be hard pressed to ever gain enough muscle to put me into the overweight category. And I'm not skinny fat.

Interesting...

that is a good point, given that is harder for woman to build muscle than men ..

just another reason that BMI is flawed, IMO....
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    BMI calculators that don't take fat and lean body mass into consideration aren't accurate. This link is telling me my BMI is 30 and that I am obese, but a doctor told me it was 26 after a BF% measurement, which is only very slightly overweight. So basically, "whatever" to my having a higher BMI than 52% of the women in America. The cake is a lie.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    LOL and this is why BMI is a garbage stat, I went and plugged in my information and it gave me a BMI of 55 which is "obese"….there is no way I am obese at 180 pounds and 14 to 15% body fat…even though I am bulking right now….The problem with BMI is that it does not account for muscle mass….

This sounds more like you enteree something wrong, as I am female, 5'9" and my BMI was 55 when I was 375lbs.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014

interesting...

Interesting...

Same for me. I'm at 23 now, my goal (to get to my desired body fat level) is around a 19, and then I will try to add some muscle mass, but that's extremely unlikely to get me to a higher weight than I am now, and most likely would leave me at 21-22 at best, even if I'm quite successful. Part of this is build, though.

I have read an analysis of the BMI stats vs. body fat percentage (I linked it somewhere here once upon a time) where some percentage of men in the study were obese by BMI but not body fat, but all of the women who were obese by BMI also were by body fat. On the flip side, significant numbers of both men and women were okay by BMI but obese by body fat. For merely overweight, though, a portion of the women, as well as the men, were in fact fine by body fat.

Anyway, it's obviously not the only measure that matters and can be misleading, but I think most people should have a sense of their bodies sufficient to know if they are in the misleading category.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    levitateme wrote: »
    BMI calculators that don't take fat and lean body mass into consideration aren't accurate. This link is telling me my BMI is 30 and that I am obese, but a doctor told me it was 26 after a BF% measurement, which is only very slightly overweight. So basically, "whatever" to my having a higher BMI than 52% of the women in America. The cake is a lie.

BMI is calculated using only height and weight. There is only 1 way to calculate it. It sounds like your doctor measured your body fat to be at 26%. BF% is different than BMI.