Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    PaperSt wrote: »
    PaperSt wrote: »
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...
    Hmmm... that may not be the best weight? What BMI would that be?

I was wondering the same. I'm not there yet, so I guess we'll see as we go. BMI would be 21 at my goal weight.
    oh! 21 is probably fine. It sounded lower when you said Cambodia. Cambodia is at 21% now? Wow.

I'm at about 21.5 5'6" 132-135 (usually).
    I know! When I was a kid, they told us we should eat our lunches because the kids in Cambodia were starving and we had to go door-to-door to collect money for the Cambodian kids. (It was interesting to learn, as a kid, that people were much more willing to buy a magazine than they were to give 1/10th of it to starving kids. Not sure if that's the lesson they were going for, but that's what I learned.)

When I hear "Cambodia", I unconsciously think, "Starving children."

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    I am most likely from Ethiopia.

I think they're trying to tell me to eat more.

Ha! I got Ethiopia, too. I'm guessing when I think of Ethiopia, I only think of the images of people starving, I don't really know what the rest of the population is like. I think I look pretty normal and not starving!

You make Ethiopia look good.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I love that

I have a lower BMI than 64% of the females in my age bracket in the UK but am higher than 57% of the females in the world

This bit was the killer

"Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 31,269,932 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population"

:grinning:

I didn't actually find that part very meaningful. Because even if you have a healthy BMI, than that calculation would still add millions of tons just because there are so many people in the world, including many who are well underweight.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    LOL - I put in my weight as kilograms instead of pounds by mistake - and was told I was REALLY overweight......scared the *#&$ out of me......! After checking over my 'answers' again I changed it to pounds - and got a much better numbers!
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SW: 28 BMI, higher than 60% of females aged 15-29 in US, higher than 93% of females aged 15-29 in world (yikes)
    CW: 24 BMI, lower than 74% of females aged 15-29 in US, higher than 69% of females aged 15-29 in world (less yikes)
    GW: 21 BMI, lower than 87% of females aged 15-29 in US, lower than 58% of females aged 15-29 in world (much better)

I know that BMI is not the best measurement and all that, but still even the change from my SW to my CW in my stats is a wonderful motivator. It is interesting to me though that so many women in my age group are right in that gap between normal weight and overweight.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    betharin wrote: »
    This is very reflective of how overweight Americans are now. I have a lower BMI than 65% in the U.S. for my height/age, but higher than 71% worldwide!!

actually it is not, because BMI does not account for muscle mass…

Not saying Americans are not obese, I am just disputing that BMI is an "effective stat"….

For most people it's as effective as it needs to be. It's only ineffective for body builders and those that are naturally very small. But for the majority of the world, it's good enough. Not perfect, but good enough.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My BMI is 22. It says I am below the national and global averages for my age category. In the US, I'm apparently below 91%? I'm not actually thin. I'm just medium size.

I think they calculate it based on a bell curve (which is how I can be bigger than 100% of my group in the world, and only 98% in the US).

The US has a high average BMI, which shifts the whole bell curve to the right.

So being lower than 91% (despite being average build) is not so much a statement of your health, but the health of the rest of the country.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    ndj1979, to answer, yes I do lift. Not super-super heavy, but basically I lift as heavy as I can and the improvements come slowly but surely. I have visible quad definition, and other muscles are starting to show also.

interesting...

how long have you been lifting for?

I am just curious, as BMI tends to put people with more muscle mass in the "over weight to obese" category, I guess it would put people with less muscle mass into the "skinny" category ..

not trying to call you skinny fat or anything...I just think it is an interesting dichotomy...

I think it can go either way. In my profile picture I did weight training and running and my results were smaller than 95% of US women in my age group and 82% of the World in my age group. Even now at my "heavy" weight since I had surgery and haven't worked out as much I'm coming up as smaller than 91% US and 72% World. Though I'm not a weight lifter or anything - just have muscle definition. I do think that people with a ton of muscle get a BMI that just makes no sense. Sadly I don't think that's the case for the majority of the high BMI people in this country most likely.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I got two 100%s. Does that mean I win? :(
  • beltonscus
    beltonscus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can live with this considering a few years ago I weighed 230-Lbs.
    Your numbers
    Obesity Index
    22bmi
    BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is National
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 93% of males aged 60-69 in your country Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 71% of males aged 60-69 in the world

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Bmi lower than 85% of usa dudes in my age. Less than 54% in world. Say I should be morracan.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    There's something wrong with that calculator. At 139 pounds, 64 inches, and 53 years old, I have a zero BMI and am lower than 100% of all the chicks in the world who are in my age group. That's a hard one to believe. I figure I'm about average.
    Are you sure you entered that in right? I tried entering those stats in and got something very different (what looks to be about right).

Ohhhhh, I did it wrong -I put in 64 inches instead of 5 ft 4 inches!

24 bmi. lower BMI than 84% of females aged 45-59 in your country Global
    Below average/ You have a lower BMI than 59% of females aged 45-59 in the world. You're most like someone from Guinea*

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    You have a higher BMI than 79% of females aged 30-44 in your country

Yeah.. that's it. I'm moving to Tonga.

Tonga here we come! lol
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    BMI 23, You have a lower BMI than 85% of females aged 30-44 in the US, You have a lower BMI than 58% of females aged 30-44 in the world, You're most like someone from China

O.O I have an est body fat % of like 29-30% given online calculators. Yeah, just no. Still was fun!
  • jrose1982
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I'm buying this. It's basically saying I'm the fattest woman in the world, LOL!! According to that, my BMI (44) is higher than 99% of the US population (aged 30-44) and higher than 100% of the world. Really? At 5'7 and 279 pounds? I know I'm classified as morbid obese but I've seen TONS of people significantly larger than I. I guess I don't get it....

It's says it's using estimates of global weights from WHO. I don't know how smart it is. I know the horizontal bar chart of BMI in the BBC page is kind of dumb. Why chart BMI from 0-50? No one has BMI down to 0. And the 'your range' is based on standard deviation, they say, but the range is only below my BMI. If they're trying to show one standard deviation from the mean, it should be both above and below it.

I think this uses a bell curve calculation. Basically, it creates a symmetrical curve (that looks like a bell, hence the name), with the middle at the average BMI of the population. The area under this curve represents the total population. Then, using the standard deviation of the data, it can calculate what percent of the area is to the left of your BMI and that represents the percent of the population that has a BMI lower than yours. It's not anywhere close to flawless, but nothing in statistics is flawless.

It said I'm bigger than 100% of the women of my age group in the world, but only 98% of the women of my age group in the US. That's not actually possible (since women in the US is a subset of women in the world). But the bell curve for women in the US will be centered around a higher average BMI than the curve for women in the world.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Seriously, I get the whole statistical things with it but the fact of the matter is I HAVE PLACED MYSELF in the realm of average Samoan women!! That is a much higher scale than even us Americans, which I was surprised to find American women were not the biggest! I do not like being fatter than the average American Woman!! We are a pretty big nation!!
  • jrose1982
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Seriously, I get the whole statistical things with it but the fact of the matter is I HAVE PLACED MYSELF in the realm of average Samoan women!! That is a much higher scale than even us Americans, which I was surprised to find American women were not the biggest! I do not like being fatter than the average American Woman!! We are a pretty big nation!!

Yes. And I think that, right there, is why this calculator is useful. It's not at all accurate, but the resulting perspective is very real, and very powerful.

I always thought of myself as normal, even after I learned that I was "obese", even as I started working on losing weight. Because, in the US, obese is normal. But being told that I'm bigger than such a huge percentage of women in the entire world was a big shocker for me. That's not at all normal.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the mean BMI in Tonga and Micronesia qualifies for obese?
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well that was a slap to the face to wake me up, please excuse me while I go put on my running gear and go for a nice long hard run.... bookmarking this for the next time I don't want to get up in the morning.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    I am most likely from Ethiopia.

I think they're trying to tell me to eat more.

Ha! I got Ethiopia, too. I'm guessing when I think of Ethiopia, I only think of the images of people starving, I don't really know what the rest of the population is like. I think I look pretty normal and not starving!
    I feel only slightly leaner than average but apparently " Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 100% of females aged 45-59 in the world"
    Guess I need to eat more.
    Oops, no wonder I am so light...missing a few brain cells.
    I entered the wrong info first time. Now says "Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 89% of females aged 45-59 in the world" makes more sense now, though still surprising.