Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I got lower than 78% of females 45-59 in Canada, and 64% lower than the average of 45-59 yr old women worldwide. That is lovely but disturbing all at the same time, because I still have more to lose.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My BMI is 22. It says I am below the national and global averages for my age category. In the US, I'm apparently below 91%? I'm not actually thin. I'm just medium size.

do you work out/lift weights or on any kind of training program?

If not, then you might not have that much muscle mass so for you you get the opposite which is that you register as "thin"….

Why do you automatically assume she has low LBM and doesn't strength train?

Shrug...I'm the same BMI (22), and below 87% of US population. I think I'm pretty "medium sized," too (umm, that's even what my clothing tag says, lol). AND...I lift (progressive program), and have appreciable muscle mass (pics should be open in my profile--work in progress, aiming for more).

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 22. It says I am below the national and global averages for my age category. In the US, I'm apparently below 91%? I'm not actually thin. I'm just medium size.

If not, then you might not have that much muscle mass so for you you get the opposite which is that you register as "thin"….

Shrug...I'm the same BMI (22), and below 87% of US population. I think I'm pretty "medium sized," too (umm, that's even what my clothing tag says, lol). AND...I lift (progressive program), and have appreciable muscle mass (pics should be open in my profile--work in progress, aiming for more).

I did not assume anything…that is why I asked the question ..

If I was assuming then I would of said "your BMI is low, because you do not strength train" HOWEVER I asked the question and then stated that it MIGHT be because of that…

reading comprehension much?
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Sad that I am overweight by 40 pounds but still weigh less than the average population in the US.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That was fun. Thanks for posting that.

lol at captain thread crapper.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Sad that I am overweight by 40 pounds but still weigh less than the average population in the US.

Wow, that's quite a perspective, isn't it?
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm lower than 77% of American women in my category and higher than 60% of the world, I'm most like someone from Zimbabwe. I typed in my goal range and I came out to lower than 83% of American women, at exactly 50% of the world and most like someone from the Philippines which is where my mom is from :) that was pretty cool to see.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Whelp...... Im fatter than the average Tongan... by a lot! :s 94% higher than the folks in my country....

Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 190,456,416 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have a higher BMI than 66% of females my age in the world. Not surprising really.

Sadly, it's also lower than 67% of females my age in the USA. :\
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Maybe it's how we perceive ourselves; I perceive myself to be medium size (BMI of 21). But this tool actually shows that compared to others, we're not medium. I think that maybe our perception of ourselves is a bit skewed.

For the record, I do lift weights on a progressive program. I have a relatively low body fat for my age as well.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I did not assume anything…that is why I asked the question ..

If I was assuming then I would of said "your BMI is low, because you do not strength train" HOWEVER I asked the question and then stated that it MIGHT be because of that…

reading comprehension much?

My apologies for a poorly worded response. I do believe my reading comprehension is just fine, thank you for correcting me. I should have said that we should be careful to understand what BMI means (over a population), and that clearly gothchiq and I are individual examples of how a low BMI tells us nothing about LBM (which you clearly understand, just reinforcing for others).

I suppose my response should have been directed as a general caution to all of us to not assume anything beyond what these numbers tell us--weight vs. height across populations, and nothing more. Have a good day :smile:
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    7 months ago:- You have a higher BMI than 76% of females aged 30-44 in your country
    - You have a higher BMI than 87% of females aged 30-44 in the world

Today:- You have a lower BMI than 69% of females aged 30-44 in your country Global
    - You have a lower BMI than 53% of females aged 30-44 in the world

Thank you for sharing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Maybe it's how we perceive ourselves; I perceive myself to be medium size (BMI of 21). But this tool actually shows that compared to others, we're not medium. I think that maybe our perception of ourselves is a bit skewed.

For the record, I do lift weights on a progressive program. I have a relatively low body fat for my age as well.
    That's a great point. It really does say a lot about our perspectives, as I would say (at 21.5, and fit for my age) that I'm "medium" or "average" as well. Interesting.
  • PaperSt
    PaperSt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    PaperSt wrote: »
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...
    Hmmm... that may not be the best weight? What BMI would that be?
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    "You have a lower BMI than 87% of females aged 15-29 in your country"

I think of myself as being pretty average, this blows my mind o_0
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BMI of 28, pushin on that obesity level!

You have a higher BMI than 57% of males aged 15-29 in your country
    You have a higher BMI than 93% of males aged 15-29 in the world
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PaperSt wrote: »

This post prompted me to put in my goal stats. I would be lower than more than half (57%) of the women my age in the world. That's somewhat surprising to me, since my goal does not yield a low BMI (23.4).
  • gwb77
    gwb77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "You have a higher BMI than 98% of males aged 30-44 in your country"
    5'8'' Male 252 United States.

Hmm. Eye-opening.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Guinea for me. Interesting.