Gaining weight and booty building!!! Tips anyone?

Options
I've recovered from anorexia of 4 years earlier this year and started lifting with my boyfriend. I made immense progress after becoming weight recovered but got sick 3 times over the summer and lost most of my progress. I've made a lot of lower body progress since and have been focusing a lot on legs and glutes as well as gaining weight (because winters are cold and a little fluff would be nice and warm :wink: hehe.)
Anyways, I'm Korean and as we all know, asians aren't very prone to having a big, nice *kitten*.. So I have to work extra hard :( ! I currently do these exercises: squats (with weight), sumo deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, kick back machine, 2 alternating versions of kickbacks on a mat, and a hip thrusting exercise (laying on back, knees bent, ect)

I'm looking for more glute/upper leg targetting exercises to do, if anyone knows of any helpful ones!! I've also recently ordered resistance bands so I'll be able to do exercises with those too.

Also, I'm currently about 5'5 and weigh about 116lbs. I want to gain to about 120 before the year ends or during January. Do you guys think this is a good weight to be at? Since recovery I'm not really sure what weight I'm supposed to be. I've been going from 108-116 and lately I've been eating a lot and thinking I've gained but the scale will still stay around 116. :(

Replies

• cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein above 120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Keep your protein high, calories high, lift heavy weights and you will be on your way. Try to avoid doing too much cardio.

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and Romanian split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Keep it up, and don't watch the scale too much. It's more about how you look and feel.

Good luck!
  • BreezePatrol
    BreezePatrol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It always surprises me when I see thin Koreans... I dated a Korean girl and her mom would feed me to death hahah. Joke aside, here is my two cents.

Weightlifting: Your routines look pretty good to me. I would suggest adding some core strength work and some upper body stuff.

Food wise: I would suggest using a macronutrient ratio that encourages bodybuilding (i.e., 40-60% carb; 25-35%; protein; 15-25% fat) and consume around 2200 calories a day (though I would consult a nutritionist). I concur with cassie above with concern to the number of grams protein to consume. The bottom line is you need to eat...and eat consistently everyday. Many people unfortunately think that is easy, but as you know it is difficult to consume a lot calories every day. I have been forcing myself to eat 3k a day and by no surprise I'm seeing improvements in good weight gain (3-4lbs in a month).

Bottom line: You are not going to get stronger (i.e., wont get a big nice ***) if don't have the energy for the workout and your muscles will not recover efficiently if you lack the nutrition. Eat consistently and keep working out :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.
  • randomtai
    Options
    cassie858 wrote: »
    The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one.

No it isn't... OP don't do this.
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein above 120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Keep your protein high, calories high, lift heavy weights and you will be on your way. Try to avoid doing too much cardio.

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and Romanian split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Keep it up, and don't watch the scale too much. It's more about how you look and feel.

Good luck!
    I eat around 1,500-1,800 calories a day so far :open_mouth: And wow yeah my bf has been telling me the same thing about the protein thing. I have a hard time eating enough often, so that would mean I'd have to have like two protein shakes a day at least.. :

Ah I also do these leg push down things on the assisted dip machine, because I can't do lunges :( . I'm slightly bow legged and my knees turn inward slightly so lunging is uncomfortable.
    Ah I occasionally do romanian split squats, I'll try to do them more often! And I've never done curtsy lunges, though I've seen instagram videos of girls doing it often :open_mouth: !
    Thanks so much for your reply!! Yeah I only weigh myself to see if I've gained, but ultimately I only care about how I feel :)

How often do you think I should do legs? My boyfriend told me I should wait at least 2 days between so I don't overtrain?
  • randomtai
    Options

How often do you think I should do legs? My boyfriend told me I should wait at least 2 days between so I don't overtrain?

I train legs twice a week. You don't want to over train your muscles.
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    It always surprises me when I see thin Koreans... I dated a Korean girl and her mom would feed me to death hahah. Joke aside, here is my two cents.

Weightlifting: Your routines look pretty good to me. I would suggest adding some core strength work and some upper body stuff.

Food wise: I would suggest using a macronutrient ratio that encourages bodybuilding (i.e., 40-60% carb; 25-35%; protein; 15-25% fat) and consume around 2200 calories a day (though I would consult a nutritionist). I concur with cassie above with concern to the number of grams protein to consume. The bottom line is you need to eat...and eat consistently everyday. Many people unfortunately think that is easy, but as you know it is difficult to consume a lot calories every day. I have been forcing myself to eat 3k a day and by no surprise I'm seeing improvements in good weight gain (3-4lbs in a month).

Bottom line: You are not going to get stronger (i.e., wont get a big nice ***) if don't have the energy for the workout and your muscles will not recover efficiently if you lack the nutrition. Eat consistently and keep working out :)
    Haha I know that feel! My mom is always shoving food at everyone.

Ah I see! I don't think I could eat 120g of protein EVERY SINGLE DAY.. I'd run out of protein powder so often (and also $$$) and I struggle to eat a lot of meat.

I also do some core and upperbody+arms. I only go to the gym every 2 days so I'll usually do legs then top it off with either arms or upper body and always finish with a bit of core. I want to work out my whole body but focus mostly on my lower body.

I currently follow about 50% carb, 25%protein, 25% fat!
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I can see how it'll help someone gain muscle, but it definitely won't help strengthen the body's stabilizing muscles!
  • randomtai
    Options

I can see how it'll help someone gain muscle, but it definitely won't help strengthen the body's stabilizing muscles!

The Smith machine is only good for hanging my towel on.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Actually protein is less important when bulking then when cutting. OP aim for 0.8 grams per lb of body weight and that will be more than adequate. Though more will not be harmful at all. So at 116 you should get a minimum of 93 grams.

And your weight at your height, though on the lower end of healthy BMI, is fine. My SO is 5'6" 116, and is quite healthy.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ^This. I am currently gaining with focus on the glutes using one of Bret's programs. I work my legs 3x per week so don't worry about overtraining, just be sure to follow a proper program.

If you want to gain, eat in a surplus (not sure if 1500-1800 is enough for you). I had to constantly increase my cals until I saw increases on the scale.

It is hard work but worth it.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    do you do weighted hip thrusts? Try using a barbell with bench if you don't, I'm up to 50 lbs with hip thrust x 100 and its awesome (I do 5 sets of 20, not 100 in a row)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i use the smith machine for heavy calf raises…but other than that it is just the towel hanger...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good luck!

OP - there is a lot of bro science in this post, please disregard….
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i use the smith machine for heavy calf raises…but other than that it is just the towel hanger...

It's also good for inverted bodyweight rows!
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein AROUND120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and BULGARIAN split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Good luck!

There are a few good points here (bolded and slightly modified)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein AROUND120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and BULGARIAN split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Good luck!

I guess the workout paragraph is OK ….so I stand corrected.

• sweetest_potato
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    ^This. I am currently gaining with focus on the glutes using one of Bret's programs. I work my legs 3x per week so don't worry about overtraining, just be sure to follow a proper program.

If you want to gain, eat in a surplus (not sure if 1500-1800 is enough for you). I had to constantly increase my cals until I saw increases on the scale.

Aw, I don't want to spend money on a program if I can make one myself! :persevere:
    allanakern wrote: »
    do you do weighted hip thrusts? Try using a barbell with bench if you don't, I'm up to 50 lbs with hip thrust x 100 and its awesome (I do 5 sets of 20, not 100 in a row)
    I'm planning on starting to do weight butt bridges. My gym is set up so that it would be really space-taking if i were to do weighted hip thrusts if it wasn't empty, so I can only do butt bridges :( I think those two exercises are very similar though?

erickirb wrote: »

Good luck!

Actually protein is less important when bulking then when cutting. OP aim for 0.8 grams per lb of body weight and that will be more than adequate. Though more will not be harmful at all. So at 116 you should get a minimum of 93 grams.

And your weight at your height, though on the lower end of healthy BMI, is fine. My SO is 5'6" 116, and is quite healthy.
    Ok! That seems more viable! What would happen to all the extra protein if I were to eat such a large amount of protein? Would it be a "waste" ??
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Good luck!

I guess the workout paragraph is OK ….so I stand corrected.

I know, that Smith Machine part made me go :\:o:s:'(
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Aw, I don't want to spend money on a program if I can make one myself! :persevere:
    allanakern wrote: »
    I'm planning on starting to do weight butt bridges. My gym is set up so that it would be really space-taking if i were to do weighted hip thrusts if it wasn't empty, so I can only do butt bridges :( I think those two exercises are very similar though?

erickirb wrote: »

Good luck!

Ok! That seems more viable! What would happen to all the extra protein if I were to eat such a large amount of protein? Would it be a "waste" ??

Extra protein is just expensive carbs on a bulk. Better to just add more rice, pasta, etc. Cheaper and your body will use it the same way.

FTR I'm 5'6" and was 124 prebulk. I think 120 at your height would be great.