Gaining weight and booty building!!! Tips anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.

This :) plus 250 or so surplus. Stay out of the smith machine if you can :p
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    ^This. I am currently gaining with focus on the glutes using one of Bret's programs. I work my legs 3x per week so don't worry about overtraining, just be sure to follow a proper program.

If you want to gain, eat in a surplus (not sure if 1500-1800 is enough for you). I had to constantly increase my cals until I saw increases on the scale.

It is hard work but worth it.

Aw, I don't want to spend money on a program if I can make one myself! :persevere:
    allanakern wrote: »
    do you do weighted hip thrusts? Try using a barbell with bench if you don't, I'm up to 50 lbs with hip thrust x 100 and its awesome (I do 5 sets of 20, not 100 in a row)
    I'm planning on starting to do weight butt bridges. My gym is set up so that it would be really space-taking if i were to do weighted hip thrusts if it wasn't empty, so I can only do butt bridges :( I think those two exercises are very similar though?

erickirb wrote: »
    cassie858 wrote: »
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein above 120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Good luck!

Actually protein is less important when bulking then when cutting. OP aim for 0.8 grams per lb of body weight and that will be more than adequate. Though more will not be harmful at all. So at 116 you should get a minimum of 93 grams.

And your weight at your height, though on the lower end of healthy BMI, is fine. My SO is 5'6" 116, and is quite healthy.
    Ok! That seems more viable! What would happen to all the extra protein if I were to eat such a large amount of protein? Would it be a "waste" ??

Extra protein is just expensive carbs on a bulk. Better to just add more rice, pasta, etc. Cheaper and your body will use it the same way.

FTR I'm 5'6" and was 124 prebulk. I think 120 at your height would be great.
    Oh I see :open_mouth: Yeah I'd rather save money hehe. Thanks!!
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein AROUND120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Keep your protein high, calories high, lift heavy weights and you will be on your way. Try to avoid doing too much cardio.

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and BULGARIAN split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Keep it up, and don't watch the scale too much. It's more about how you look and feel.

Good luck!

OP - there is a lot of bro science in this post, please disregard….

There are a few good points here (bolded and slightly modified)

I guess the workout paragraph is OK ….so I stand corrected.

I know, that Smith Machine part made me go :\:o:s:'(

May I please ask why? What's wrong with a Smith Machine? It enables me to lift heavier weights as I can only pick up a maximum on 20kg using my arms because they are weaker....

Is there something I should know?! :smile:
  • cassie858
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein above 120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Keep your protein high, calories high, lift heavy weights and you will be on your way. Try to avoid doing too much cardio.

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and Romanian split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Keep it up, and don't watch the scale too much. It's more about how you look and feel.

Good luck!

Bro science? sweetest_potato asked about bulking. No one can disagree that high protein and calorie surplus are important for gaining muscle...? She asked for advice and this is what I know to be true. If you have anything more constructive to say, then please, go ahead.... :smile:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain weight, keep your protein AROUND120 grams (you should be eating about 1 gram per lb of body weight when bulking).

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and BULGARIAN split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Good luck!

May I please ask why? What's wrong with a Smith Machine? It enables me to lift heavier weights as I can only pick up a maximum on 20kg using my arms because they are weaker....

Smith machines are very dangerous and cause injuries because it is not a natural range of motion. I found nothing wrong with your other advice. Everyone on the boards are experts and they feel better by putting other people down. I thought your post was fine.
  • cassie858
    Options
    4theking wrote: »

Good luck!

Smith machines are very dangerous and cause injuries because it is not a natural range of motion. I found nothing wrong with your other advice. Everyone on the boards are experts and they feel better by putting other people down. I thought your post was fine.

Thank you :smile: This is the first I've heard about the dangers of using a smith machine! Thanks for the info!
  • cassie858
    Options
    And I love your profile! loads of great info on IF / carb cycling which I am very interested in. I wonder if you could take a look at my last posted discussion for me please?...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10102836/training-whilst-intermittent-fasting-are-bcaas-enough#latest

Thank you also for the book recommendations!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Your workout seems good, i do barbell squat, deadlift, Lunges (with dumbbells), kick backs etc, try your hip thrusts with a sandbag or barbell across your hips to add weight. The smith machine is good for squats and lunges if your gym has one. Curtsy dumbbell lunges and Romanian split squats are great for building a booty :smile:

Good luck!

Bro science? sweetest_potato asked about bulking. No one can disagree that high protein and calorie surplus are important for gaining muscle...? She asked for advice and this is what I know to be true. If you have anything more constructive to say, then please, go ahead.... :smile:

As stated above - "high" (relatively speaking) protein is more important in a cut than in a bulk. Yes, you still need adequate protein, but generally carbs are going to be more of a focus in a bulk than protein.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    ^This. I am currently gaining with focus on the glutes using one of Bret's programs. I work my legs 3x per week so don't worry about overtraining, just be sure to follow a proper program.

If you want to gain, eat in a surplus (not sure if 1500-1800 is enough for you). I had to constantly increase my cals until I saw increases on the scale.

It is hard work but worth it.

Aw, I don't want to spend money on a program if I can make one myself! :persevere:
    allanakern wrote: »
    do you do weighted hip thrusts? Try using a barbell with bench if you don't, I'm up to 50 lbs with hip thrust x 100 and its awesome (I do 5 sets of 20, not 100 in a row)
    I'm planning on starting to do weight butt bridges. My gym is set up so that it would be really space-taking if i were to do weighted hip thrusts if it wasn't empty, so I can only do butt bridges :( I think those two exercises are very similar though?

erickirb wrote: »

Good luck!

Actually protein is less important when bulking then when cutting. OP aim for 0.8 grams per lb of body weight and that will be more than adequate. Though more will not be harmful at all. So at 116 you should get a minimum of 93 grams.

And your weight at your height, though on the lower end of healthy BMI, is fine. My SO is 5'6" 116, and is quite healthy.
    Ok! That seems more viable! What would happen to all the extra protein if I were to eat such a large amount of protein? Would it be a "waste" ??

Bret's book is really good and relatively cheap (especially the ebook version). That said, the actual workouts are available online as a PDF for free (minus the really good intro information in the book). I think the book is a great investment, but if you want free, the programs are available.