Cleanse/Detox

Options
JONZ64
JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
Been hearing lots of folks at work and on FB start into their resolution lists and have heard the "latest" Detox/Cleanse from a few people already, so I thought I would share this on here as a preventative measure for the upcoming season. Full Disclosure : I stole this from another MFP member a few years ago and I have posted it a few times and will continue to do so as long as I still see "Magic Pill" posts.

The body’s own detox system
We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

There's no "Magic" Lemonade, cayun pepper and squid oil drink that will Detox your body, just eat CICO, exercise, keep hydrated and Voila, Health! :-P

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    So, you're saying adding lemon and cayenne to my wine isn't helping me detox more?

:#
  • JONZ64
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So, you're saying adding lemon and cayenne to my wine isn't helping me detox more?

:#

Not sure what that's doing :smiley:
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    (*) <-- gold star for you
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    JONZ64 wrote: »
    I stole this from another MFP member a few years ago and I have posted it a few times and will continue to do so as long as I still see "Magic Pill" posts.

There's no "Magic" Lemonade, cayun pepper and squid oil drink that will Detox your body :-P

Great theft.
    Thumbs up.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This thread needs more bumps.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I hear that oil pulling detoxes your mouth. I need that since I have a dirty mouth.

Is there a detox for the mind? Mine is pretty filthy from its frequent trips to the gutter.
  • JONZ64
    Options
    I hear that oil pulling detoxes your mouth. I need that since I have a dirty mouth.

Is there a detox for the mind? Mine is pretty filthy from its frequent trips to the gutter.

The mind needs that filth otherwise it becomes like jello and useless or what Doctors call Politician Brain
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When I was in school, we also learned that skin had a role in excretion of metabolic waste products, but I was unable to confirm that with cursory google search.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I got suckered into the MLM world which happened to be a supplement company. They touted how your body is just like a car engine, and you need to give it an oil change every 3 months. (Cleanse)

After a few months of using/selling these supplements I started to do more and more research as I just didn't feel right about what I was taking/selling. I've since terminated my distributorship with said company. I will say that one of their most popular bundles includes a clease phase.........

Bringing it back to the topic at hand when I did my "cleanse" I only lost about 4-6lbs which I was definitely in a caloric deficit for the 10 days and for how often I was using the bathroom I'm certainly confident much of it was water weight.......
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Why would you ever want to leave the gutter?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ahhh yes tis the season ..cleanses, detoxes, eliminate all sugar, cleaning eating...oh my...
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The human body is an amazing thing. And yes....all the built in systems of the body do much to excrete wastes. But the human body was made to process food--not to be bombarded with the cocktail of additives we ingest/breath/put on our skin. We were not made to digest pesticides. We were not made to digest artificial ingredients that don't add any nutritional value to the food--but make it pretty and maybe last longer in the box on the shelf.

Even with the bombardment, some people have enough nutritive balance and enough good gut bacteria to deal with the added burden of breaking down the toxic stuff ( naturally along with healthy kidney and liver function). Some don't. And those that reach the critical overload are well on their way to a diseased state. (Statistically speaking: 1-in-2 men, 1-in-3 women will be diagnosed with cancer)

I don't care at all for the MLM/hype/bandwagon approach for "cleanses and detox" regimes. I do think that cleansing is not a bad thing when it is done: correctly, gently and over a longer period of time. But I define cleanse as a process of taking fiber, herbs, minerals, vitamins, probiotics. I DO not subscribe to starvation/lemon/popular cleanses--- ever. I do believe that certain herbs (as well as homeopathics) can help the liver and kidneys purge some of the toxins that can cause damage to these organs, and that probiotics can help build up the good bacteria that can be wiped out from something as simple as chlorinated water.

But the caveat is that it is never a good idea to just start taking something....working with a good practitioner ( Dr., DO, homeopath--etc) is the best way to approach any change that is comprehensive.

BTW.....cleansing/detox for weight loss? Just no.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The only thing that needs to be cleansed is the rubbish spewed forth from every form of advocacy for the "importance of (insert ridiculous item here) for detoxing", and how some people link it to "boosting your metabolism". Please. The only thing that gets my metabolism going is my increased rate of certain hand gestures towards people when I'm trying to explain to people about the fallacy of detoxes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Detox is a sales pitch, not a medical term.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like a good poo to cleanse the soul.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Detox is a sales pitch, not a medical term.
    Winner.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    The human body is an amazing thing. And yes....all the built in systems of the body do much to excrete wastes. But the human body was made to process food--not to be bombarded with the cocktail of additives we ingest/breath/put on our skin. We were not made to digest pesticides. We were not made to digest artificial ingredients that don't add any nutritional value to the food--but make it pretty and maybe last longer in the box on the shelf.

Even with the bombardment, some people have enough nutritive balance and enough good gut bacteria to deal with the added burden of breaking down the toxic stuff ( naturally along with healthy kidney and liver function). Some don't. And those that reach the critical overload are well on their way to a diseased state. (Statistically speaking: 1-in-2 men, 1-in-3 women will be diagnosed with cancer)

I don't care at all for the MLM/hype/bandwagon approach for "cleanses and detox" regimes. I do think that cleansing is not a bad thing when it is done: correctly, gently and over a longer period of time. But I define cleanse as a process of taking fiber, herbs, minerals, vitamins, probiotics. I DO not subscribe to starvation/lemon/popular cleanses--- ever. I do believe that certain herbs (as well as homeopathics) can help the liver and kidneys purge some of the toxins that can cause damage to these organs, and that probiotics can help build up the good bacteria that can be wiped out from something as simple as chlorinated water.

But the caveat is that it is never a good idea to just start taking something....working with a good practitioner ( Dr., DO, homeopath--etc) is the best way to approach any change that is comprehensive.

BTW.....cleansing/detox for weight loss? Just no.
    Homeopathics? You do know that homeopathics are nothing but water, right?
  • Mcbummers
    Mcbummers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

"“Let’s be clear,” says Edzard Ernst, emeritus professor of complementary medicine at Exeter University, “there are two types of detox: one is respectable and the other isn’t.” The respectable one, he says, is the medical treatment of people with life-threatening drug addictions. “The other is the word being hijacked by entrepreneurs, quacks and charlatans to sell a bogus treatment that allegedly detoxifies your body of toxins you’re supposed to have accumulated.”"

" In 2009, a network of scientists assembled by the UK charity Sense about Science contacted the manufacturers of 15 products sold in pharmacies and supermarkets that claimed to detoxify. The products ranged from dietary supplements to smoothies and shampoos. When the scientists asked for evidence behind the claims, not one of the manufacturers could define what they meant by detoxification, let alone name the toxins."