Options
13»

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's worth it if you like it. Extra virgin oil is good for you, although there are some rumors (?) out there saying that most of what is sold as olive oil here is not actually the good stuff.

It's not just a rumor. When it comes it evoo, domestic is best if you're in the US.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/09/how-to-find-the-best-extra-virgin-olive-oil/index.htm
    That is one thing I want to learn to make at home.

I think a hobby press is still pretty expensive but maybe there's a different piece of equipment that could be used which isn't as costly. I think they "crush" the olives to make a paste, don't they?

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I buy my olive oil from a specialty store. They're happy to sit down with you and discuss where they buy the oil, what kind of certifications and such that it has, etc. It's pricier, but worth it. Typically I have a bottle of cheaper grocery store stuff on hand that I use if I just need a tiny splash to cook with (because, honestly, I don't use a ton of oil when I'm cooking and so even if it's half canola oil, big whoop), but I use the good stuff for salad dressings or dipping bread, etc - any application where I'm consuming more than a fraction of a teaspoon and/or I can actually taste the oil.

I found a couple specialty stores in my area from one of the links posted, gonna give them a try this weekend. They let you taste them also so I can really get a good idea on the differances.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    The very best quality olive oil is extra virgin--cold press. There is going to be a big shortage of olive oil here in Italy. There isn't much of a crop this year due to an extremely warm, wet year. We are going to have to do with last years stores which probably won't last until next fall. Prices are already on the rise. We can only hope next year is better. :'(

Does the quality also have to do with if it is the first press and from what regions the olives came from ?

I don't know about the regions, but definitely with whether if it's first press and whether it was cold-pressed without chemical processes.

There are several different denominations defining quality, and Extra Virgin basically means just that - first press, mechanical. At least here in Europe (the name being protected - meaning companies need to fulfil certain criteria to be able to call their oil extra virgin). :) I am not sure if it guarantees the cold press though. Most olive oil companies specify it.. Also worth noting that it's not just about the taste, but about how healthy it is as well. =)

The best of the best is the one qualified as "DOP", whose origin is protected and the process they are made with controlled. Not sure if they exist outside Italy though, I already struggle finding them in Germany.

Thanks for the info, now I found out what I have been buying isnt is good as I thought it was.

You can get DOP oil outside of italy, just gotta go to a good importer. I know of a handful in SF, one in Boston, and one in Manhattan. I've not yet found one in Seattle.

Last quart I bought of that quality stuff ran me $60 for a liter. Might have been $80.

Wow! I pay $11-15 for a high quality olive oil, grown and processed by friends of mine. B)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The very best quality olive oil is extra virgin--cold press. There is going to be a big shortage of olive oil here in Italy. There isn't much of a crop this year due to an extremely warm, wet year. We are going to have to do with last years stores which probably won't last until next fall. Prices are already on the rise. We can only hope next year is better. :'(

Does the quality also have to do with if it is the first press and from what regions the olives came from ?

I don't know about the regions, but definitely with whether if it's first press and whether it was cold-pressed without chemical processes.

There are several different denominations defining quality, and Extra Virgin basically means just that - first press, mechanical. At least here in Europe (the name being protected - meaning companies need to fulfil certain criteria to be able to call their oil extra virgin). :) I am not sure if it guarantees the cold press though. Most olive oil companies specify it.. Also worth noting that it's not just about the taste, but about how healthy it is as well. =)

The best of the best is the one qualified as "DOP", whose origin is protected and the process they are made with controlled. Not sure if they exist outside Italy though, I already struggle finding them in Germany.

Thanks for the info, now I found out what I have been buying isnt is good as I thought it was.

You can get DOP oil outside of italy, just gotta go to a good importer. I know of a handful in SF, one in Boston, and one in Manhattan. I've not yet found one in Seattle.

Last quart I bought of that quality stuff ran me $60 for a liter. Might have been $80.

Wow! I pay $11-15 for a high quality olive oil, grown and processed by friends of mine. B)

I pay that for my moonshine. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    It's worth it if you like it. Extra virgin oil is good for you, although there are some rumors (?) out there saying that most of what is sold as olive oil here is not actually the good stuff.

It's not just a rumor. When it comes it evoo, domestic is best if you're in the US.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/09/how-to-find-the-best-extra-virgin-olive-oil/index.htm

I think a hobby press is still pretty expensive but maybe there's a different piece of equipment that could be used which isn't as costly. I think they "crush" the olives to make a paste, don't they?
    Yeah, grind to a paste, then press the paste. I was thinking a couple canister jacks, made a bit like an apple press. Then I'd be able to press my own apples too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Yeah, grind to a paste, then press the paste. I was thinking a couple canister jacks, made a bit like an apple press. Then I'd be able to press my own apples too.

Apple presses are not expensive to buy, so if that would work, I'd just buy that.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They actually name the brands that made the Consumers Report cut here: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/04/would-the-real-olive-oil-please-stand-up/

Looks like the non-legit big name brand stuff funneled through Italy is being cut with soybean oil and beta carotene. Not cool.

Thanks for the info :) I might give the TJ's California Estate a look, I get mine from there but don't recall right off which type (name). The bottle in the photo on the link is not the same so it's likely something different.

Really appreciate those of you that have added info to this discussion, it's been interesting!

Funny... looks like I'm already using California Estate brand from TJ's. LOL I have their garlic EVOO as well and would love to try the Rosemary EVOO but they don't carry it here yet.
  • dbmata
    Options

Apple presses are not expensive to buy, so if that would work, I'd just buy that.

With some mods it should. I've got a buddy who welds, we're talking about what it would take to build a 50 ton press on the cheap.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    How does coconut oil figure into all this? I'm so confused on which fad oil to pick. All I know is I'm staying away from rapeseed oil.

I haven't been able to find a lot of research on the pros or cons of cooking with coconut oil. Most research seems to be on topical use, which is very different from ingesting. There may be some out there that I haven't seen, though. I don't like the taste of coconut oil, so haven't really looked all that hard at it.

I don't think coconut oil would be good for dipping bread in because it is solid at room temperature so you'd have to keep it heated.
    Pop your popcorn in it though and it is $$$$$$.

I use peanut oil for popcorn.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    How does coconut oil figure into all this? I'm so confused on which fad oil to pick. All I know is I'm staying away from rapeseed oil.

If you're referring to Canola oil (and I assume you are, since unrefined rapeseed oil isn't sold commercially as a food product), then I'll just point you to this:

skepticdetective.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/is-canola-oil-dangerous/

If you're confused on which "fad oil" to pick, maybe it's better to pay less attention to fads and more attention to science.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

I read the same same on rape seed oil (old name) now called Canola oil.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

One blip on how coconut oil may figure into all of this.
    authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    They actually name the brands that made the Consumers Report cut here: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/04/would-the-real-olive-oil-please-stand-up/

Looks like the non-legit big name brand stuff funneled through Italy is being cut with soybean oil and beta carotene. Not cool.

Thanks for the info :) I might give the TJ's California Estate a look, I get mine from there but don't recall right off which type (name). The bottle in the photo on the link is not the same so it's likely something different.

Really appreciate those of you that have added info to this discussion, it's been interesting!

Funny... looks like I'm already using California Estate brand from TJ's. LOL I have their garlic EVOO as well and would love to try the Rosemary EVOO but they don't carry it here yet.

Instead of buying rosemary or garlic flavored olive oil, just make your own flavors. Buy plain oil and put in peeled whole garlic cloves, or fresh rosemary twigs. You can also make hot pepper oil, by putting peppers in it--they do that alot in Calabria. It might save you some $$. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    yup.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Instead of buying rosemary or garlic flavored olive oil, just make your own flavors. Buy plain oil and put in peeled whole garlic cloves, or fresh rosemary twigs. You can also make hot pepper oil, by putting peppers in it--they do that alot in Calabria. It might save you some $$. :)
    Thanks, great ideas... sounds wonderful :)