All macros are special

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
The macros are carbohydrate, protein and fat. We need them all. As a former type 2 diabetic, I was educated to try and get all three in every meal, minimal fat. And here's why:

ka6bvxb0kuzd.jpg

Diabetics have trouble regulating their blood sugar. Type 2's don't produce enough insulin for their needs, and type 1's don't produce any insulin at all. So a balanced meal with all the food macros are the best guarantee at supplying just enough energy when we need it. We can limit fats because they are so easy to come by and they are such a dense package of energy; twice as much as proteins and carbs.

This is also handy for dieters who want to stave off hunger. Eat a variety, and you are giving your body new energy when it needs it.

Give your body credit though. If you don't have a condition like diabetes, the body adjusts with insulin, storing the extra energy as fat stores when you most need it.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carb and is digested very slowly.

People rave about fats and protein keeping them full and always forget about our good friend Fiber.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Fiber is roughage and has little or no nutritional value (other than trace elements and minerals along for the ride). Guess where fiber comes out?

I find fibrous complex carbohydrates to be very helpful as yes, the digestion is slower...closer to the 5 hour range.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jgnatca keep in mind Fats and Protein are required for humans to live but carbs are optional. That does not make them bad but just not required.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    We are omnivores, GaleHawkins, pretty good at getting energy however we can find it. Cutting out carbs, one of the macros, however, makes our job that much harder. A diet very low in carbohydrates would be a ketogenic diet, correct?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great post and visual for the macros. Just remember that Type 2 diabetes doesn't just go away. If you return to the condition that brought on insulin resistance (i.e. going back to being overweight, overeating simple carbs, low activity level on a regular basis), your blood sugars will sky rocket again and your body won't be able to handle it.

Also, this chart is good information for any medical conditions that mimic insulin resistance.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    jgnatca keep in mind Fats and Protein are required for humans to live but carbs are optional. That does not make them bad but just not required.

Carbs are not "optional." While it's true a human can survive without carbs, you can also survive without arms and legs, so are arms and legs optional?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    wkwebby, my doctor told me to consider my diabetes "in remission". Yay! I think I will always eat this way as I've been doing it for so many years.

I got to thinking about this as a poster told me that protein spikes insulin. That was news to me, because it had been drilled in to me and I have personally experienced that protein has a much slower uptake than carbohydrates.

Looking further, I found out that insulin also binds itself to amino acids (protein). But the chart explains why diabetics don't worry about that. If a diabetic were experiencing a low sugar moment, they would not grab a protein. They'd grab something sweet. Nothing else would metabolise fast enough.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    [
    tigersword wrote: »

Carbs are not "optional." While it's true a human can survive without carbs, you can also survive without arms and legs, so are arms and legs optional?

One of your kidney's is also optional while we are talking about things that are optional to live...

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We are omnivores, GaleHawkins, pretty good at getting energy however we can find it. Cutting out carbs, one of the macros, however, makes our job that much harder. A diet very low in carbohydrates would be a ketogenic diet, correct?
    I agree we are omnivores and I see no way to cut out carbs even if we only eat fat meat. :)

While we know carbs are optional for human we also know they are seem to be more addictive like and relative cheap source of calories plus they are easy to get unlike many fats and proteins that can out run us. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I agree we are omnivores and I see no way to cut out carbs even if we only eat fat meat. :)

While we know carbs are optional for human we also know they are seem to be more addictive like and relative cheap source of calories plus they are easy to get unlike many fats and proteins that can out run us. :)
    Carbs aren't addictive, and I've never met a nut or olive that could outrun me.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My butternut squash didn't stand a chance. Sucka!

Seriously, have you tried going zero carb? Long term?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

How would you ever poop??

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Carbs aren't addictive, and I've never met a nut or olive that could outrun me.

spare yourself brother ….ole gale hawkins will go round and round with pseudo science all night long….
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

I do not think one can go zero carb and live. All the protein I know about will drag some carbs along with it. Almonds have carbs as to about every thing.

Alatarie175 why to you think it is carbs that make you poop? Coconut oil makes up about 1200 of my daily calories as my good Fat source.

reddit.com/r/keto/comments/192urc/no_carbs_no_poop/

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    If you stop feeding a troll Goldfish crackers they eventually stop posting....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I do not think one can go zero carb and live. All the protein I know about will drag some carbs along with it. Almonds have carbs as to about every thing.

Alatarie175 why to you think it is carbs that make you poop? Coconut oil makes up about 1200 of my daily calories as my good Fat source.

reddit.com/r/keto/comments/192urc/no_carbs_no_poop/

Lol, wut?

Yeah...what? Cause that made 0 sense.