So I am NOT going to "shut down" my metabolism if I drop to 1200 or even 1000???

Options
I have tried reading some of the other posts about starvation and what not, but none of it really applies to me. Without going into all of the details that nobody would appreciate hearing, let me just say that I am 130, 5'6" female and 48 years old. I have been 124 FOREVER up until the last year. Had the MedGem done and RMR was 960, at least 300 below what was predicted for me, with a total of 1150 when factoring in daily activities, and a total of 1350 when I am doing my typical workout routine. Given that my rate is THAT low and I am not losing the 6 mystery pounds that suddenly appeared, will I be harming myself going down to 1200 or even 1000? I so don't want to screw up my metabolism! Since nothing else is working, is this rationale to try?? I have already been checked out for medical issues which is another thread (low testosterone and very low normal range thyroid).

Any suggestions on the dietary aspect of it??

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Instead eating less why not work out harder or longer. Lets assume you can burn 100 calories in 10min why not work out an extra 30min or so?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't have to worry about shutting it down. If there is a shut down, it's due to death of the organism.

Are you sure you are not confounding BMR with RMR? Also, the quickest answer is, try it for a couple few months and find out. I would also discuss with an RD and my medical treatment team if I was really concerned.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can't possibly shut your metabolism down entirely. It might certainly slow a bit but that would probably be more due to a loss of lean muscle mass than to anything else. Personally, I'd leave my calories alone and add strength training to my routine so you can add, or at the very least, maintain muscle while you're losing weight.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As long as you cover your nutritional needs (think lots of veggies and protein), your metabolism will not explode if you drop below 1200 calories a day. I'm very short, and I regularly eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I haven't stopped losing weight (except for the week of Thanksgiving, but there were cookies involved that week) or developed rickets, so I assure you it can be done in a healthy manner.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with going below 1200 is getting enough nutrition and hitting your macros and your micros. You may get tired too. I vote with exercising a little more. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Are you perimenopausal? Is it possible that this is water gain? Have any of your measurements changed?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on the medical issues that have been identified. As you learn more about those, you will find that there are certain dietary habits that can help you get the proper (likely South Beach/ lowish carb, with lots of healthy fats) within a calorie allotment. Your endocrinologist may also recommend supplements.
  • ferretdog
    ferretdog Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The whole 'starvation shut down' concept isn't real. It has no basis in science.
    Just get a reasonable nutrient load over a few days - you don't actually need a full load every day. Every week is fine.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ferretdog wrote: »
    The whole 'starvation shut down' concept isn't real. It has no basis in science.
    Just get a reasonable nutrient load over a few days - you don't actually need a full load every day. Every week is fine.
    So theres no science on the effects of "under eating"? I get 1200 is given as the magic number and all...and that it wont apply to everyone, but surely the idea is to eat as much as possible while still losing weight instead of just getting by on a reasonable amount of nutrition.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Had the MedGem done and RMR was 960, at least 300 below what was predicted for me...

MedGem readings have HUGE error bars...+/- 30-40%....

I would be very careful using that number blind - track actual results closely, and adjust accordingly.
  • ladybug77707
    Options
    Mr. Knight, really??? I thought that was supposed to be the 'best of the best'?? Is there any other test that is more accurate? I guess tracking actual is going to be best, but I surely wish there was a test that could tell me more - that was ACCURATE :((((
    -
    Also, I had been doing cardio for 40 min. 4x a week (done this for YEARS) and read somewhere recently that THAT was the problem. Over-exercising and under-consuming, which messed up my metabolism. And that the only way to get it back to what it was before was by doing shorter bursts of intense activity, thus the 20 min. interval training with strength training (which I had already been doing for years). None of it makes any sense. 25-30 years of weighing the same thing and in 6 months time gaining 6 pounds with NO changes. It's crazy!
  • jessicav1126
    Options
    Ladybug- try to scale back on cardio and focus more on strength training. Cardio is still important but you should try to do maybe 20 minutes at a time and really push yourself with strength training about a half hour 3-4 times a week.. If you can easily do every rep then the weights you are using are too light. In my opinion I wouldn't go below 1200 calories. Don't worry about the scale, listen to your body. Strength training can help to lose inches especially when combined with cardio.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    The body adjusts, and if you have been in the same routine for a few years you probably need to shake it up a bit.
    That should get the scale moving again.

I do aqua fit as my constant, but choose new class to take every season to complement it. This year it is Zumba, until March, then I will switch to swimming. Previously I have done; belly dancing, pilates, body toning, and walking.

If you do drop your intake maybe throw a multi vitamin into the mix to make sure you have all your bases covered.
    Cheers, h.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Forget the test. How many calories are you currently eating?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rogerOb1 wrote: »
    ferretdog wrote: »
    So theres no science on the effects of "under eating"? I get 1200 is given as the magic number and all...and that it wont apply to everyone, but surely the idea is to eat as much as possible while still losing weight instead of just getting by on a reasonable amount of nutrition.

shut down is BS ..metabolic adaptation from chronic underrating is real….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - how long have you been "dieting" and what amount of calories have you been netting over this time period??? You may actually need to reverse diet for a while until you start losing again ...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr. Knight, really??? I thought that was supposed to be the 'best of the best'?? Is there any other test that is more accurate? I guess tracking actual is going to be best, but I surely wish there was a test that could tell me more - that was ACCURATE :((((

Detailed, accurate tracking is the only truly reliable way.

Over-exercising and under-consuming, which messed up my metabolism.

Over-exerting while under-eating will make you look like a concentration camp victim. If you don't, you didn't. :smile:

• ladybug77707
    Options
    yes, I have had the same routine for years, but only in the last 3 months have I started the 20 minutes of cardio at higher intensity and taken out the 40 min. of cardio 4x a week. The 30 min. of weights 2x a week was increased to 30 min. 3x. All of this over the last three months (prior to that, routine had been the same for years).

Per my MFP diary, I usually take in 1300 calories per day - is what I am shooting for. Even on non-exercise days, I thought the extra few calories might serve to increase my metabolism by having a bit more, and of course on exercise days it balances out. I KNOW prior to when this weight gain occurred that I HAD to be burning more, probably around 1800 or so. I never got the metabolic test back then because I never had to worry about my weight changing - it was always the same! I am convinced the BMR/RMR has changed - it's WHY that I don't know. I have been on this 1300 calorie per day regime since August, so about 5 months. NO CHANGE and cannot get back to what it had been for YEARS. I need to research more about the reverse dieting. I understand the concept, but don't know how to do it (i.e., how often, how much of an increase).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, I had been doing cardio for 40 min. 4x a week (done this for YEARS) and read somewhere recently that THAT was the problem.!

40 minutes four times a week isn't remotely close to overtraining.

I'd suggest that you stop worrying about damaging your metabolism, and just focus on identifying and delivering an appropriate calorie deficit.

I suspect that the problem is that you're either misjudging your expenditure or your intake, or both. And if you're down as low as 1200 cals per day the effect of those misjudgements mounts up.

Personally when I started this process I was undereating, the effect of which was that my base level of daily activity reduced. I was chosing to email rather than go up three floors in the office to talk to someone, or using the lift instead of stairs, because I was seriously lacing in energy.

• ndj1979
    Options
    yes, I have had the same routine for years, but only in the last 3 months have I started the 20 minutes of cardio at higher intensity and taken out the 40 min. of cardio 4x a week. The 30 min. of weights 2x a week was increased to 30 min. 3x. All of this over the last three months (prior to that, routine had been the same for years).

Per my MFP diary, I usually take in 1300 calories per day - is what I am shooting for. Even on non-exercise days, I thought the extra few calories might serve to increase my metabolism by having a bit more, and of course on exercise days it balances out. I KNOW prior to when this weight gain occurred that I HAD to be burning more, probably around 1800 or so. I never got the metabolic test back then because I never had to worry about my weight changing - it was always the same! I am convinced the BMR/RMR has changed - it's WHY that I don't know. I have been on this 1300 calorie per day regime since August, so about 5 months. NO CHANGE and cannot get back to what it had been for YEARS. I need to research more about the reverse dieting. I understand the concept, but don't know how to do it (i.e., how often, how much of an increase).

wiat I am confused….so for five months you have been eating 1200 calories and not lost anything? Are you netting 1200 calories or is that 1200 calories and then you were exercising? How many calories a day were you eating before you went to 1200? How do you know that you were burning 1800 calories?

It sounds like you over estimating calorie burns and under estimating how many calories consumed…