When to change my loss rate

Options
Hi all,

I started my journey on 4th Feb 2014 at 370 pounds, now on 4th Dec I weigh 291, so a loss of 79 pounds! Yay, I still have around 137 pounds to go to reach where I want to be.

I still have my settings set to lose 2 pounds (1kg) a week.

Obviously at some stage I will move this lower to make it a steady loss rate.

At what point did everyone out there with a lot of weight to lose, change your loss rate?

I do about 100 mins walking a day, so I am burning about 450+ calories a day and am eating at 1380 calories a day not including the exercise but I find as I do more exercise I am getting a little hungrier.

Just sort of feeling around to see what worked for people or even if I need to move it at all at the moment.

Thanks

K

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you eating back some of your exercise calories? Your deficit is already built into MFP and so you should eat back at least 1/2 of the exercise calories - the reason you are hungry is that your netting far too few calories for your body's needs.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This^ recommends .5-1% of body weight... I suck at math but I think for you that means 1.4-2.9 pounds a week.

I've also *heard* 2lbs for 100+lbs to lose and down .5lb every 25lbs below 100 - so at 25lbs left, your goal is .5lbs - not sure if that's really a "rule" or not but seems reasonable to me..

Oh! And congrats on your loss so far! Very well done!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you eating back some of your exercise calories? Your deficit is already built into MFP and so you should eat back at least 1/2 of the exercise calories - the reason you are hungry is that your netting far too few calories for your body's needs.

I didn't say I wasn't eating them, my base rate is 1380 and I get 450+ from exercise is all I said.... I eat some of them back. I am aware that it's built in. Earned a few calories from jumping to conclusions there buddy lol
  • karenrich77
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This^ recommends .5-1% of body weight... I suck at math but I think for you that means 1.4-2.9 pounds a week.

I've also *heard* 2lbs for 100+lbs to lose and down .5lb every 25lbs below 100 - so at 25lbs left, your goal is .5lbs - not sure if that's really a "rule" or not but seems reasonable to me..

Oh! And congrats on your loss so far! Very well done!

Ahhh thanks heaps for this info hun, that's just what I needed to know. I was thinking of changing it at my 1 year anniversary so I am on track to only have 100 pounds left to lose then. Thanks heaps xxx
  • mylosingtool
    Options
    How on Earth do you survive eating so little? :O
  • karenrich77
    Options
    How on Earth do you survive eating so little? :O

Ummm I don't think 1380 + 250 a day is a little amount. That is 1630 a day! That's more than most get and I didn't make the figures up, it's what MFP tells me when I enter all my data and tell it I want to lose 1kg a week. When you have 100kg to lose it's not unreasonable...

Suggestions on what I should be eating would be???
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just want to say congrats on your terrific loss so far, great work!!
  • karenrich77
    Options
    Just want to say congrats on your terrific loss so far, great work!!

Awww thank you xxx
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Congrats! :mrgreen:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what you're doing as obviously its working, until you get down to where you have less than 100 pounds to go. At that point, I would then reevaluate my goals.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What Lifting 4 said.

You are doing an amazing job and I really respect the amount of focus and dedication it takes for losing sych a large amount. You are doing great and as its working just keep going.

The guidelines are

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

For diet then you may need to think about foods that will keep you fuller for longer, complex carbs, lean protein and some people like fat.

I just go for 5+ fruit and veg a day, lean protein mostyly and what calories I have left after meeting my basic needs I spend how I like.

At some stage you may want to join a gym or get some weights and start thinking about some resistance exercises for health and also to combat the loose skin, which sometimes hits people.
  • karenrich77
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What Lifting 4 said.

You are doing an amazing job and I really respect the amount of focus and dedication it takes for losing sych a large amount. You are doing great and as its working just keep going.

The guidelines are

For diet then you may need to think about foods that will keep you fuller for longer, complex carbs, lean protein and some people like fat.

I just go for 5+ fruit and veg a day, lean protein mostyly and what calories I have left after meeting my basic needs I spend how I like.

At some stage you may want to join a gym or get some weights and start thinking about some resistance exercises for health and also to combat the loose skin, which sometimes hits people.

I have a shoulder problem and it causes vertigo everytime I use it for any weight bearing exercises. I do 20 mins of hand weight exercises each day but even that sends me into a spin (literally) any suggestions on how to incorporate more strength training with this injury?
  • karenrich77
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I would keep doing what you're doing as obviously its working, until you get down to where you have less than 100 pounds to go. At that point, I would then reevaluate my goals.

Thanks heaps I will do that :)
  • karenrich77
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You are doing great. Congrats! :mrgreen:

Awww thank you doll xxx
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a shoulder problem and it causes vertigo everytime I use it for any weight bearing exercises. I do 20 mins of hand weight exercises each day but even that sends me into a spin (literally) any suggestions on how to incorporate more strength training with this injury?

Go see a doctor/physiotherapist and get a specific workout routine for you. No one here can help you with that since we
    a) are not doctors/experts
    b) don't know everything about your condition in detail.

Really, I never understood why people come here with medical conditions and ask us what to do with them. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just find it odd.

As for the rest, you seem to be doing great with your current setup, and you've made amazing progress! Congratulations :smile:
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Sounds like it's working. I'd say continue then re-evaluate if you hit a plateau. But, this is just my personal inclining on how to do this.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What Lifting 4 said.

The guidelines are

How do you go with lower body weight bearing? Lifting with the feet could work your lower body and core, and this can be done sitting or lying down. The quads, glutes and core are the biggest muscle groups in the body so any work done on these is super valuable. You don't have to "lift" to lift!
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What Lifting 4 said.

The guidelines are

This is good to know!!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Firstly wow and congrats I agree on keep doing what you are doing, after 10lbs loss I would go into goals and see if MFP adjusts them I did this on advice from someone on the forums.
    As for injury I would deffo see a physio I was a gymnast at highschool and had accident and I get rib pain still but a lot less I did a rehab course with physio was best thing I ever did as they work around the injury to build strength while not damaging the problem area further.
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I started my journey on 4th Feb 2014 at 370 pounds, now on 4th Dec I weigh 291, so a loss of 79 pounds! Yay, I still have around 137 pounds to go to reach where I want to be.

I still have my settings set to lose 2 pounds (1kg) a week.

Obviously at some stage I will move this lower to make it a steady loss rate.

At what point did everyone out there with a lot of weight to lose, change your loss rate?

I do about 100 mins walking a day, so I am burning about 450+ calories a day and am eating at 1380 calories a day not including the exercise but I find as I do more exercise I am getting a little hungrier.

Just sort of feeling around to see what worked for people or even if I need to move it at all at the moment.

Thanks

K
    This is awesome. I am looking forward to celebrating some of these milestones. Keep up the good work.
    As a nurse though, I would say see a physical therapist and they may be able to help with a lifting routine. I had to learn that the hard way when I was having difficulty running, I went to a sports clinic which their job is help people get active or return to optimal physical health. That way you would avoid unnecessary injuries and set backs. With all of the had work that you have done, you don't want to thwart it. Keep going!