When to change my loss rate

Options
2»

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's working great for you so far. I guess my advice is less dependent in a chart like above (although, that's a great guideline, too). If you do find yourself increasingly hungrier (uncomfortably so) at the 1kg/2lb rate, there's nothing wrong with bumping your weekly goal to .75kg/1.5lb if you want when you're ready/willing/needing more.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    I have a shoulder problem and it causes vertigo everytime I use it for any weight bearing exercises. I do 20 mins of hand weight exercises each day but even that sends me into a spin (literally) any suggestions on how to incorporate more strength training with this injury?

Go see a doctor/physiotherapist and get a specific workout routine for you. No one here can help you with that since we
    a) are not doctors/experts
    b) don't know everything about your condition in detail.

Really, I never understood why people come here with medical conditions and ask us what to do with them. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just find it odd.

As for the rest, you seem to be doing great with your current setup, and you've made amazing progress! Congratulations :smile:

Wow how about keeping the negative to yourself. Man..... it was a side question to the original question and if you really can't be bothered ignoring things that p*ss you off, go away, seriously.... sick of negative people on this board. This will be the last time I post anything on it. Negative Nellies!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mzklutch wrote: »
    Hi all,

I started my journey on 4th Feb 2014 at 370 pounds, now on 4th Dec I weigh 291, so a loss of 79 pounds! Yay, I still have around 137 pounds to go to reach where I want to be.

I still have my settings set to lose 2 pounds (1kg) a week.

Obviously at some stage I will move this lower to make it a steady loss rate.

At what point did everyone out there with a lot of weight to lose, change your loss rate?

I do about 100 mins walking a day, so I am burning about 450+ calories a day and am eating at 1380 calories a day not including the exercise but I find as I do more exercise I am getting a little hungrier.

Just sort of feeling around to see what worked for people or even if I need to move it at all at the moment.

Thanks

K
    This is awesome. I am looking forward to celebrating some of these milestones. Keep up the good work.
    As a nurse though, I would say see a physical therapist and they may be able to help with a lifting routine. I had to learn that the hard way when I was having difficulty running, I went to a sports clinic which their job is help people get active or return to optimal physical health. That way you would avoid unnecessary injuries and set backs. With all of the had work that you have done, you don't want to thwart it. Keep going!

Thanks everyone, I am waiting on an MRI on 15th of Dec and already waiting on appt with a physio so that is all taken care of, I will just wait.

The weights question really was just a side product of the original question, not the real question I was interested in knowing the answer to, but thanks for the info
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    I have a shoulder problem and it causes vertigo everytime I use it for any weight bearing exercises. I do 20 mins of hand weight exercises each day but even that sends me into a spin (literally) any suggestions on how to incorporate more strength training with this injury?

Go see a doctor/physiotherapist and get a specific workout routine for you. No one here can help you with that since we
    a) are not doctors/experts
    b) don't know everything about your condition in detail.

Really, I never understood why people come here with medical conditions and ask us what to do with them. Not trying to be rude or anything, I just find it odd.

As for the rest, you seem to be doing great with your current setup, and you've made amazing progress! Congratulations :smile:

Wow how about keeping the negative to yourself. Man..... it was a side question to the original question and if you really can't be bothered ignoring things that p*ss you off, go away, seriously.... sick of negative people on this board. This will be the last time I post anything on it. Negative Nellies!

I'm not really pissed off at all, merely think that people with medical conditions should see a doctor and not an online forum. I doubt that's outside of average opinion :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the original post: Another option is to use the TDEE-20% method.

To find your current estimated TDEE, there are lots of online calculators, or after 70+lbs weight loss you should have a pretty good idea just from observed weight loss. Then go into MFP's "custom goals" section and custom-set your calorie goal to whatever that is less 20%.

Every time you lose another 10lbs, recalculate your TDEE and reset your goals.

That way, you're not jumping from fixed values like 2lbs, 1.5lbs, 1lb and you don't have to worry about the magic time to set those. Instead, your rate of loss will slow as you get closer and closer to your goal, but more gradually.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

This is just something that somebody made up; there's no reason to believe that these are the "ideal" rates.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    How on Earth do you survive eating so little? :O

Ummm I don't think 1380 + 250 a day is a little amount. That is 1630 a day! That's more than most get and I didn't make the figures up, it's what MFP tells me when I enter all my data and tell it I want to lose 1kg a week. When you have 100kg to lose it's not unreasonable...

Suggestions on what I should be eating would be???

I guess it's all relative. I eat 1600 calories a day, plus most of my exercise calories. I'm 35 yrs old, 5'9", and just under 200 lbs. I have been losing 1.5-2 lbs/week. I have about 45 lbs more to reach my ultimate goal.

I can't say for sure, but I bet you could eat more and still lose at a good rate.

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I went from 285 to 195. I didn't care how fast i lost weight, just the faster the better. I didn't eat back my calories. When i went from 235 to 195 i did it in 12 weeks.

The person with that "if you have.. to lose" chart is bogus.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started MFP at 262 lb (as a 36 year old 5'8" woman) and set to lose 1.5 lb per week. That was great for over a year.

When I got to (I think) 185 or 190 lb, the calories recommended for me daily (before exercise) were like 1300 or so and I felt that was a bit too low for me, because during periods of eating around 1300 I had some bad symptoms like losing hair in the shower and dark spots on my cuticles...none of that when eating 1400+. So I stepped down to a loss of 1 lb per week.

Today I actually decided to step it down again to 0.5 lb per week. I weigh 169 lb and to keep losing 1 lb per week does not feel necessary for me right now because I want to be in the 150-170 range permanently.

So basically it felt like the decision was made for me, in a way. When I see 1310 or 1330 or whatever as the "new recommended amount" by MFP, it's not what I want so I choose a different option.

ETA: When I was losing 1.5/week it was almost EXACTLY that. When I went to 1 lb per week I lost more like 2 lb/month. I expect to lose even more slowly now and I actually welcome that as a way to (hopefully) ease into maintenance. But just something else to consider, maybe. Others might have a different experience, but generally speaking weight is slower to come off the lighter you have become.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The chart is "bogus" mostly, but it's also a decent guideline for many people who are just starting out and don't want to pick a number out of thin air. It is reasonably okay as a guideline for people at the median, though doesn't work much for people on either side of the curve though.

For instance, I started with 40lbs to lose, but 1 or 1.5 lbs/week as a goal would've been WAY too high, since I'm only 5'1" and a calorie deficit of 500-750 calories per day would've put me way below 1200. I went with a starting goal of TDEE-20%, which is currently about 0.7lbs/week.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, a 6'5" man who weighs 300lbs and is trying to get down to 260 could probably easily target 2lbs/week without any issues, since an 1000-calorie deficit for him would still be a smaller proportion of his daily calories.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work and your loss!

I'm really glad you asked this because I hit 100 lbs left to lose 2 days ago and though it should have occurred to me to start thinking about when to lower my daily calories, it didn't. So I'm pouring through the responses for all the good suggestions. :smiley: Currently I'm still at the -2 lb/weekly too.

For the suggestions about possible exercises, unfortunately I don't have any that haven't already been said. I suffer from sporadic dizziness as well as weakness too, though yours seems quite a bit worse. I don't know what to suggest. Sorry.

Best wishes for your continued loss!!