Dieting and a picky eater

Options
Hello, I have been overweight most of my life and I just turned 30 a few weeks ago and want to start off a new part of my life healthy. My husband and I are having the baby talk but I am not healthy enough to have a great pregnancy. My issue has always been the fact that I am a picky eater, I don't like the "good" stuff, I am for the pizza and Chinese food.

Being a picky eater and dieting does not go hand and hand very well. Any suggestions on how to move forward without me diverting back to my old habits?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat in a deficit. Nothing more.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This.

Eat what you'd like.

Macros are for health, not weight loss.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This.

Eat what you'd like.

3rd. And honestly, once I stopped labeling food as "good" or "bad" and just ate based on what I wanted (while paying attention to my protein intake, as this is the only macro I truly care about) I found that I WANTED to start trying foods I used to dismiss or dislike. Mostly because I wanted to have more options for yummy foods so I needed to TRY new foods lol.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love. Eat less amount of what you love. :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    moderation is your best friend. you can eat one piece of pizza instead of four. you can have half a pint of your chinese food instead of the whole pint. I would start by cutting back on "going back for more." you can do this. take it as slowly as you need to to be comfortable with it, but you have goals. stay focused, and you'll get there. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a big leafy salad beside my pizza slice to fill me up. Do you like Wonton Soup, War Wonton? Lower in the calories, got that protein in there, and it is enough. Really.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Eat what you'd like.

Exactly, obviously find ways to have healthier versions or better portion control of the things you like as long as they fit within the deficit. Hell, I'm the fussiest eater I know but I've found so many new things that I really like since I started my diet, your palate might improve as you go :)

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    While we're discussing the health issue, I would consider trying to make your favorites healthier, especially if you're going to be pregnant, as well as starting a multivitamin. Maybe make your pizza loaded with veggies you can stand, or sneak veggies in the sauce, stir fry veg if you like it for Chinese?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You can also find ways to make those things lower in calories. I really love thin crust pizza. Broccoli beef is a lot lower in calories than the fried chicken dishes. Plan before you eat.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I agree with the no "good" foods or "bad" foods argument, but at the same point, you're 30 now. Grow up and eat some veggies :)
  • ana3067
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I agree with the no "good" foods or "bad" foods argument, but at the same point, you're 30 now. Grow up and eat some veggies :)

sweetpotatoes2.jpg
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat crap because it fits your macros. different foods impact your body differently than others so eating clean more is best to keep you in a fat burning zone.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose weight by eating less calories, whether it's junk food or not. And yes, there is "good" and "bad" food. If it's simply about losing weight, you won't necessarily be HEALTHIER, just at a healthier weight, which will make you feel better. But actually start to CHANGE your diet, eat healthy, worthwhile foods, and you'll feel a ton better!

What's more important, your health, or the food you like to eat? You may have to sacrifice if you really want health. Pizza is not a good food to be eating regularly. You need to add more lean proteins, vegetables and healthy fats. I'm not a pro, but I can already say you need to change your eating habits to really be healthy. You can teach your body to get used to most anything, including the foods you don't like.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    crap food sends signals to the brain which in return reacts telling your body to store, burn, hold water etc. IIFYM is alot of crap. its like taking a step forward then taking one back when you add junk food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting vegetables in a little olive oil or coconut oil. They are really good like this.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I always have to start with the lower cal eating, and have tiiiny portions of my favorite high calorie foods. When/if that doesn't fill me up I play with the ratios and sides--suddenly my Mexican food goes from ground beef with tons of cheese to fajitas with chicken and tons of red bell peppers and a small amount of good, sharp cheddar cheese.

Some days I go for the small amount of high calorie food, some days the high volume low cal food.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    As a side note, if you don't like eating healthy foods, what are your kids going to grow up eating? Kinda scary thought IMO. My parents taught me to eat wholesome foods, and while I hated it at the time, the good habits have stuck with me, and I love healthy foods now. I have numerous friends who were fed what they liked as kids. Chicken tenders, hot dogs, chips, pizza, etc. They're some of the pickiest and unhealthiest eaters now.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    crap food sends signals to the brain which in return reacts telling your body to store, burn, hold water etc.

Salty food makes your body retain more water. It is not some mystical bad food mojo.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    backin3 wrote: »
    Sure, you can lose weight by eating less calories, whether it's junk food or not. And yes, there is "good" and "bad" food. If it's simply about losing weight, you won't necessarily be HEALTHIER, just at a healthier weight, which will make you feel better. But actually start to CHANGE your diet, eat healthy, worthwhile foods, and you'll feel a ton better!

What's more important, your health, or the food you like to eat? You may have to sacrifice if you really want health. Pizza is not a good food to be eating regularly. You need to add more lean proteins, vegetables and healthy fats. I'm not a pro, but I can already say you need to change your eating habits to really be healthy. You can teach your body to get used to most anything, including the foods you don't like.

There is no reason to label food good or bad, it is just food. And a healthier weight does usually mean healthier and is a great start.

OP start small, track your calories, eat what you enjoy maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. Once you get the habit of tracking down and learn more then start focusing on macros (carbs, protein and fat) but in the beginning keep it simple, work on developing good habits.

I've lost 119 lbs and my health has significantly improved. I eat chinese food & pizza frequently, ice cream pretty much daily. I also eat lots of chicken, veggies, etc but it can all be part of a well balanced diet. One rule I set for myself was never eating anything I don't truly enjoy, but that I would experiment with lots of different things.

So you can do this, keep it simple and don't make yourself miserable by trying to change everything. good luck
  • ana3067
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    crap food sends signals to the brain which in return reacts telling your body to store, burn, hold water etc. IIFYM is alot of crap. its like taking a step forward then taking one back when you add junk food.

IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros.

Did my omelet (2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 30g of cheddar, 53g of mushrooms, 2ml oil on the pan) this morning fit my macros? Yes.
    Did my cinnamon raisin toast with 25g of chocolate peanut butter fit my macros? Yup.
    Did the 2 cheddar and sour cream chips I ate (about 6g) while waiting for everything to finish cooking fit my macros? Yup.
    If I were to eat the last donut in my freezer, would it fit my macros? Totally.

And I've lost 25lbs eating things that I want, that fit my macros, and without caring about its "crap" value.