How does cardio cause muscle loss?

Options

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Is there a minimum of resistance/strength training that one needs per week in order to help maintain current muscle mass? I mean I know why I should do it, but I now prefer to run then lift weights. I was lifting 3 times a week months ago, but would 2 full body days be enough? Are body weight exercises enough when eating in a deficit?

I'm a big proponent of body weight exercises.......so much variety, so much more money in your pocket (money saved from not buying equipment or paying for gym memberships).

Pound for pound, nothing beats the push up or burpee, or perhaps the burpee push up. No weights needed for that beast........and you work your upper body, lower body, core, plus it's cardio. I absolutely love the Prison Cell Push Up from P90X.......look it up on YouTube (I checked, it's there) and give it a try.
    Ah sounds good :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Double post. :blush:

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Cardio does not cause you to lose muscle. Eating at a deficit will cause you to lose weight. That weight will come from fat, muscle, tissue, etc. Lifting while you lose weight will help you retain a larger percentage of the muscle you would otherwise lose during your deficit.

People who start out overweight/obese often have a lot of muscle (needed to carry around the excess pounds). A 300 lb person is literally carrying around 300 lbs every day. If that person starts losing weight, he's going to be carrying less and less. The muscles that were straining and working to carry around his frame (thus, working out those muscles), are no longer working as hard. He will lose that muscle slowly over time unless he adds resistance training designed to help him maintain some of that muscle. Muscle: if you don't use it, you lose it.

I had a friend years ago who lost over 100lb and what was under that was amazing muscle. His doctor said it was because he was carrying around the equivilant of barbells all day. He had to work to keep fit, but it still was fantastic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You guys ever think about the movements in terms of range of motion? ie.. consider running and something like squatting (to proper depth) and deads (proper form). Much different range of motions and mucles used. I don't think you can equate the two in terms of a discussion about muscle retention

What about things like burpees, mountain climbers, hiking or swimming?

Not sure people are pushing burpees and mountain climbers for endurance but they are definitely a strength builders up to a point. Getting to 50 burpees in a row is great but eventually is stops being a strength builder. Hiking and swimming will have the same limitations for adaptation that other forms of cardio will have. Eventually you will need to increase the resistance to continue to adapt. Just doing it longer wont have any additional strength building effect.

Again swimming laps for an hour is not the same as sprinting for time. Just like lifting a light weight a hundred times is not strength training. I think most people know the difference.

Sorry, I wasn't asking if they were strength training. I was suggesting they can help preserve muscle more than the common example of running. Though trail running can provide quite a bit of leg resistance.

I do disagree that lifting a light weight 100 times could not build strength though.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can only go off of my personal experience but for me there is a definite difference in muscle mass between running without strength training and running while strength training. I started running in April of 2011, running was my only cardio and I wasn't doing any strength training at all. I run distances up to half marathons so running for me is anywhere from 20-30 miles per week. At the height of my original running stint, my weight bounced between 120 and 125 pounds (I'm 5'3"). While I was happy with my weight, I didn't have much muscle definition beyond my calves which have always carried little fat and been fairly muscular.

I had to take a few months off early this year, put on a few pounds, and when I started running again in May I also decided to start strength training. My weight is currently bouncing between 130 and 135. I'm wearing the same clothes I was able to wear when I was 120-125 and I can definitely see muscle definition in my thighs now that wasn't there last year or the year before. My calves are larger and more defined as are my biceps. I have been measuring these areas since 2011 so I know beyond a doubt that there's a difference in the size between then and now.

ETA: I'm not including my thigh measurements in the above because that's where I carry my weight. A reduction in fat and an increase in muscle leaves me at nearly the same size as I was at 10 pounds lighter (21.5") but now there's visible muscle movement and bulk beneath the layer of fat. :smile:

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    People who debate cardio vs. weights for fat loss often assume that the type of cardio has no strength component. Anyone who bikes or runs up steps hills is building lots of lower body strength and if you are kayaking you are building upper body strength. Dedicated lifting work outs are more efficient time-wise and do provide the opportunity to tackle more areas of the body in one work out.

Likewise lifting with a lot of compound exercises and little rest certainly feels a lot like cardio to me. Personally I think everyone should do both with the emphasis on cardio vs. weights depending on your goals. Weight lifting may be better at preventing muscle loss but both can be advantageous depending on the specific choices made. Certainly, both cardio and lifting enthusiasts are ahead of the average person who is lying on their coach gaining weight and losing muscle due to lack of use.

I agree with this. plus if you truly want to be physically fit you have to do some form of cardio, even if its compound exercises in a circuit. and by phisically fit i don't mean a marathon runner or even a 5k runner, just enough to promote cardiovascular health. Personally think you'd want to do a little more pure cardio then that to be well rounded tho.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    You guys ever think about the movements in terms of range of motion? ie.. consider running and something like squatting (to proper depth) and deads (proper form). Much different range of motions and mucles used. I don't think you can equate the two in terms of a discussion about muscle retention

Not sure people are pushing burpees and mountain climbers for endurance but they are definitely a strength builders up to a point.

they do in Insanity

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Not sure people are pushing burpees and mountain climbers for endurance but they are definitely a strength builders up to a point. Getting to 50 burpees in a row is great but eventually is stops being a strength builder. Hiking and swimming will have the same limitations for adaptation that other forms of cardio will have. Eventually you will need to increase the resistance to continue to adapt. Just doing it longer wont have any additional strength building effect.

Again swimming laps for an hour is not the same as sprinting for time. Just like lifting a light weight a hundred times is not strength training. I think most people know the difference.

Sorry, I wasn't asking if they were strength training. I was suggesting they can help preserve muscle more than the common example of running. Though trail running can provide quite a bit of leg resistance.

I do disagree that lifting a light weight 100 times could not build strength though.

I would say yes then to the bolded section. They would have a much bigger strength component through a bigger range of motion and involve your full body. Just like other body weight strength movements like a push up it would be enough to preserve your current muscle. But that is strength training not cardio.

• mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Not sure people are pushing burpees and mountain climbers for endurance but they are definitely a strength builders up to a point.

they do in Insanity

Sorry you are correct. I meant more in line with an 60+ minute run or all day hike kind of comparison.

• No_Finish_Line
    Options

they do in Insanity

Sorry you are correct. I meant more in line with an 60+ minute run or all day hike kind of comparison.

saw a youtube clip of a guy doing a mile worth of burpees for his 30th birthday. when around a track 4 times and jumped forward just a little each time. idk how long it took though.
    even 30 burpees suck lol
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

they do in Insanity

saw a youtube clip of a guy doing a mile worth of burpees for his 30th birthday. when around a track 4 times and jumped forward just a little each time. idk how long it took though.
    even 30 burpees suck lol

Barf city. Too elite for me.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    People who debate cardio vs. weights for fat loss often assume that the type of cardio has no strength component. Anyone who bikes or runs up steps hills is building lots of lower body strength and if you are kayaking you are building upper body strength. Dedicated lifting work outs are more efficient time-wise and do provide the opportunity to tackle more areas of the body in one work out.

Likewise lifting with a lot of compound exercises and little rest certainly feels a lot like cardio to me. Personally I think everyone should do both with the emphasis on cardio vs. weights depending on your goals. Weight lifting may be better at preventing muscle loss but both can be advantageous depending on the specific choices made. Certainly, both cardio and lifting enthusiasts are ahead of the average person who is lying on their coach gaining weight and losing muscle due to lack of use.

I agree with your statements as it pertains to strength. But to get semantic about it, I think the OP is talking about muscle mass. Although related they aren't exactly the same.

Gaining strength through CNS development probably involves some muscle mass gain but less so when you are eating at a deficit. People here have said you can gain strength in a deficit by CNS but gaining muscle mass while in a deficit. I only mention deficit because you mention fat loss. I could have misunderstood
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Not so sure they do, but keep going--you and sIjomial are laying it out for everyone.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Its a load of rubbish promulgated by those who like to pick things up and put them down again. I have lost over 100lbs and believe me that was all fat. I now have more muscle than I have ever had and I haven't lifted anything. (Stands back and waits for flaming)

Hehehee you are so dead on!!!!

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Its a load of rubbish promulgated by those who like to pick things up and put them down again. I have lost over 100lbs and believe me that was all fat. I now have more muscle than I have ever had and I haven't lifted anything. (Stands back and waits for flaming)

That's what I've noticed around here... if you're not lifting you're doing it wrong. And will never be exercising correctly until you lift. As if there aren't any other types of exercises besides lifting. (...Waits for beheading. :laugh: )

This totally...... see my "I run" topic..... it was aimed at the same thing.

Not everyone CAN lift though.... I can run till the cows come home....but lift anything & you will see me unable to move.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Cardio does not cause you to lose muscle. Eating at a deficit will cause you to lose weight. That weight will come from fat, muscle, tissue, etc. Lifting while you lose weight will help you retain a larger percentage of the muscle you would otherwise lose during your deficit.

People who start out overweight/obese often have a lot of muscle (needed to carry around the excess pounds). A 300 lb person is literally carrying around 300 lbs every day. If that person starts losing weight, he's going to be carrying less and less. The muscles that were straining and working to carry around his frame (thus, working out those muscles), are no longer working as hard. He will lose that muscle slowly over time unless he adds resistance training designed to help him maintain some of that muscle. Muscle: if you don't use it, you lose it.

Thank you for this. I feel you gave the least biased and consequently most understandable argument...

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

That's what I've noticed around here... if you're not lifting you're doing it wrong. And will never be exercising correctly until you lift. As if there aren't any other types of exercises besides lifting. (...Waits for beheading. :laugh: )

Not everyone CAN lift though.... I can run till the cows come home....but lift anything & you will see me unable to move.

I don't think most here say that. I think it's said more often because lifting is such an ignored option of exercise. Why do you think the cardio section is 4x larger than the free weight section?

I can lift much better than I can run. But I don't dismiss running. It's a legitimate part of being fit. And I "try" to get better at it. Same with swimming. It's like I have a rock attached to my back but I do it and try to improve.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

just as I would recommend someone who only lifts do some cardio, I'd certainly recommend the reverse.

plenty of lifters force themselves to do cardio because of the health benefits.

if your in it for your health, there are AT LEAST as many health benefits to lifting as there are to cardio.

its not the 'end all be all' of exercise, no one form of exercise is, but your doing yourself a disservice from a health stand point if you avoid it

you CAN lift. I'm not sure there is any medical condition other then full paralysis that will prevent you from lifting period, in some form.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »

Hehehee you are so dead on!!!!

Except he isn't...because...
    science_animated_gif_by_mysteriousshamrock-d5p3shf.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited December 2014
    Options

Im not sure what your particular issue is to why you are unable to move but recommending strength training in addition to just cardio is not a bad thing. If you think it is just a bunch of meat heads telling people to do this then maybe you will find these link interesting.

circ.ahajournals.org/content/101/7/828.full

cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/

mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/strength-training/art-20046670

arthritistoday.org/about-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/rheumatoid-arthritis/daily-life/staying-active/strength-training-benefits.php

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14552938

One is not better than the other and neither is all you need.