"underweight"

Options
soo i'm f, 5'4, and my gw was 104.5/105 (that's where i think i look the best)

within a week i've gained 2 lb up to 107

here's my question: i have a friend who says that because i'm "statistically underweight", no matter how hard i try, my weigh will keep bouncing back up if i even slightly overeat...

thoughts??

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You are statistically underweight, using BMI as a rough statistic. It's hard to tell much more than that without more information. Do you do any sort of resistance/strength training? If not, chances are that you probably need to put on a few pounds to be at a more healthy weight.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are statistically underweight, using BMI as a rough statistic. It's hard to tell much more than that without more information. Do you do any sort of resistance/strength training? If not, chances are that you probably need to put on a few pounds to be at a more healthy weight.

I do barre classes & yoga but that's about it. Weight lifting/cross fit hurt my joints :/
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    OK. I'm not saying you have to lift, but if those are your exercises of choice, then your muscle mass is probably not statistically different from the standards used to calculate the BMI tables. So you might want to reconsider your goal weight range and make it a little higher.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    soo i'm f, 5'4, and my gw was 104.5/105 (that's where i think i look the best)

within a week i've gained 2 lb up to 107

here's my question: i have a friend who says that because i'm "statistically underweight", no matter how hard i try, my weigh will keep bouncing back up if i even slightly overeat...

thoughts??

I can't comment on your personal situation because numbers don't always give the accurate picture of health, but I'd say I definitely disagree with your friend. That is just an opinion and not really factual at all.

I'm technically underweight but I have no problem maintaining. Then again, food isn't an issue for me. I eat for fuel and nutrition and over eating makes me ill, so it's not something I struggle with.

I would suggest trying any form of weight exercises, maybe just body-weight exercises in your case.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Well, at 107 you're boderline "healthy"... just barely. Just keep maintaining your weight, don't try to lose more weight, and don't be scared if you gain a couple more pounds. It's ok. Really.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a friend who is 5'4" and maintains at 105 pounds. She isn't sickly or bony - according to her doctors she's perfectly healthy, regardless of what the BMI charts say. Remember that BMI charts are an average. Some (not all) will fall under the suggested BMI and be perfectly fine.

OP, when you go into maintenance, your body will replenish glycogen stores which causes a couple pound weight gain. It's perfectly normal. You didn't gain two pounds of fat. :flowerforyou:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    so the way I read it you're not really asking anything about your weight, you're asking if your friend is right in that you will always bounce up in weight because you are *underweight*....No. You weight may bounce up if you eat more or move less, if you're super concerned about staying where you want then log really well for a while so you can get a handle on the cals you need to maintain that.