Affordable Care Act Scare!

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I was given this survey by H&R to assess my thoughts on the Affordable Care Act. Now I will say I like the idea, but as I got down to the nitty gritty and the money involved I am scared. This survey actually calculated what I would be paying in premiums with my income (I hope it is a huge conservative estimate). The eye opener I just go frankly would make anyone who is just a hard working middle class tax payer angry :mad:

I am looking at having to pay monthly premiums of nearly $1000 a month or $10,000 a year!!!! That's almost 10% of my gross income before taxes and everything else that is taken out!

How in the holy F_cuk am I an independent contractor expected to pay that amount? There is no way. Seems that the group who will be taken advantage of the most is the middle class. I honestly dont know how we are going to do it? Personally, I'll take the tax penalty of $1000 and hope I dont get sick or pregnant.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for insurance now?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol, who could have guessed that? Guess everyone's premiums won't be going down as promised
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lol, who could have guessed that? Guess everyone's premiums won't be going down as promised

This would be a good place to talk about Fear Mongering.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Currently the cheapest plan with the highest deductible and out of cost expenses and no out of net work coverage. It makes up about 2% of my gross income.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This would be a good place to talk about Fear Mongering.

Do you expect your premiums to go up, down or stay the same next year? And what specifically was stated that the Affordable care act would do to premiums by the supporters of the law?
  • concordancia
    Options

Currently the cheapest plan with the highest deductible and out of cost expenses and no out of net work coverage. It makes up about 2% of my gross income.

Have you checked into it? If the survey was based on income, rather than coverage, it may have been wayyy off. Is this individual or for a family?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Individuals who make more than $45,000 a year or a family of 4 who makes more than $92,000 will not qualify for subsidies at this time. 400% above poverty line.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Have you checked into it? If the survey was based on income, rather than coverage, it may have been wayyy off. Is this individual or for a family?

individual
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that anyone thought this was going to be "affordable". Think about it.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    I am shocked that anyone thought this was going to be "affordable". Think about it.

Actually I live in MA, we've had to have insurance for years and, though there are some flaws, overall it has lead to a higher quality of health and availability of care to residents.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Put on by kaiser foundation calculates if you qualify for subsidies
  • concordancia
    Options
    One of the provisions of the act is that if your premiums would be more than 8% of your income, you are not subject to the penalty.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Actually I live in MA, we've had to have insurance for years and, though there are some flaws, overall it has lead to a higher quality of health and availability of care to residents.

what does someone in the middle class pay a month in premiums? What percentage of your gross income?
  • KatLifter
    Options

what does someone in the middle class pay a month in premiums? What percentage of your gross income?

It depends on lots of factors, including income.
    This site is where you buy insurance if you don't have it offered by your employer. Until about 6 months ago I was self-employed, so I had to buy my own and it was ~$250/month. https://www.mahealthconnector.org
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Me too. All it does is force those who cannot afford insurance to buy it.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Pulled this from the Kaiser site:

· Premiums for health insurance bought through Exchanges would vary by age. The Congressional Budget
    Office estimates that the national average annual premium in an Exchange in 2016 would be $4,500-5,000
    for an individual and $12,000-12,500 for a family for Bronze coverage (the lowest of the four tiers of
    coverage that will be available).
    · In 2012 employees paid $951 on average towards the cost of individual coverage in an employer plan and
    $4,316 for a family of four.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You earn almost $100,000 a year before tax? I wish I earned half of that.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I work for a very small company. I pay $1000 per month for health insurance. My husband is disabled and has several health issues that require seeing a doctor multiple times a month. If we didn't have coverage through my company and had to purchase independently, it would cost us up to $3600 per month based on some quotes we got a few years ago.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been paying $4000 for a family of four for 6yrs now. Nothing has changed yet. Still paying that much now. Apparenlty my insurance give you a flat rate if its 3+ people on the plan. I'm still going to be paying $4000 when my eledest daughter is no longer eligible next yr.